• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Kirkstall Forge & Apperley Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cakestall

Thank you to Paul Sidorczuk for the correction on Kirkstall Forges originally Closure Date, I have always had 1902 in my brain as the closure date and saw a 5 as a 2.
If as planned the two new stations are to have no direct service than a walk along the canal is perfectly feasible.
Appleby Bridge new station is quite isolated for foot access and defiantly seems laid out to form a transport hub with most passengers turning up by car or bus. West Yorkshire Metro website talks about an Appleby Bridge Station Bus Link, but gives no times or destinations. I presume that passing buses will be diverted via the station as well. This gives a public transport option between the two stations, as folk could take a 747 (hourly) or a 947 (intermittent) as well as whatever transpires as a bus link, up the hill to Yeadon or Rawdon,(Approx 1 mile away and 300 feet higher) where buses run down the A65 (every 10 minutes)to Leeds via Kirkstall. It has been stated that Buses along the corridor will divert via the Kirkstall Forge development. This would be a good option for anyone doing the jaunt on a Metro Card. Having said that if you were to get your times wrong, you could be deposited at a barren building site with a long wait. I don’t see any hurry to open Kirkstall as although there is a park and ride element most of the building work on what is an almost totally cleared Brown Field Site is not finished.
By foot from Appleby Bridge it is approximately a third of a mile down the A658 to the Leeds and Liverpool Canal.
Just downhill from where the new road built to serve the new station joins the A658 is the :
Stansfield Arms which is pleasantly oldie worldly and food orientated but has a drinking area with reasonable beer.
Having joined the canal trundle along the canal for 2.5 miles when you will see on your left just before the Leeds Ring Road the:
Railway, Pleasant if family orientated set up, reasonable beer, but a bit bland and underwhelming. Near the site of Calverley and Rodley Station.
A quarter of a mile further on having passed under the ring Road. a small swing bridge on the right leads to the:
Rodley Barge, Decent Beer, Cosy canal side etc
Across the road The Owl use to be excellent but I have not been in since the previous landlady was forced out by A Pubco raising the rent.
Rejoin the canal and proceed past the site of Thomas Smith and sons Crane works on the right, Another little swing bridge could take you to the:
Crown and Anchor Never been but is suppose to be OK.
However you might may wish to carry on for a further 1.5 miles till you hit Pollard Lane at Bramley Falls where the:
Abbey Inn, nice Pub, decent beer, overshadowed by Stone abutments for a bridge over the Airedale line at the site of Newlay and Horsforth station.
Is hidden away but signposted off the canal.
From the Abbey Inn it’s about half a mile further along the canal to Kirkstall Forge.
This presumes however that they will be access to the station from the Canal, a crossing of the River Aire being required to achieve this.
Walk is flat or downhill through pleasant countryside. As the crow flies its 3.5 Miles as the canal meanders it's around 5 or 6 miles.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Appleby Bridge new station is quite isolated for foot access and defiantly seems laid out to form a transport hub with most passengers turning up by car or bus.

From what you say in the part of your posting above that I have emboldend, this new station appears to have a grudge and a petulant disposition which I assume the word "defiantly" was meant to convey....:D

The matter of the station name is covered in the previous posting by 30907

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
oops, better improve my roof reading on here.

Never mind, your long original detailed posting was very well constructed. You will find the following two matters do so apply on this website:-

1) Forum members are possessed of a good sense of humour, some more "quirky" than others.

2) More than the accepted numerical norm of elderly lexocological pedants have found a home on this website and are keen sighted to observe lexiconological iniquities, which they do so observe. (I am 70 years of age).

Last edited:

Condor7

Never mind, your long original detailed posting was very well constructed. You will find the following two matters do so apply on this website:-

1) Forum members are possessed of a good sense of humour, some more "quirky" than others.

2) More than the accepted numerical norm of elderly lexocological pedants have found a home on this website and are keen sighted to observe lexocological iniquities, which they do so observe. (I am 70 years of age).

Yep, same as what I do. ;)

Bantamzen

Established Member
Well still no news on an official opening for either station, but RTT does have both diagrammed in from the December timetable. So as things stand, the first trains to operate to both will be 2P02 0831 Leeds to Bradford Forster Square, & 2P03 0901 Bradford Forster Square to Leeds, on 13/12/2015:

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y97123/2015/12/13/advanced

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y97124/2015/12/13/advanced

Interestingly it shows the Sunday BDQ<>LDS calling at both stations, and weekdays the BDQ<>LDS calling at Apperley Bridge only with one service an hour LDS<>ILK calling at Kirkstall Forge weekdays, but no Sunday service.

Obviously this is subject to change, but it should give a good indications of what calling patterns both stations will have.

Grumpy

Well still no news on an official opening for either station, but RTT does have both diagrammed in from the December timetable. So as things stand, the first trains to operate to both will be 2P02 0831 Leeds to Bradford Forster Square, & 2P03 0901 Bradford Forster Square to Leeds, on 13/12/2015:

[.

Well 13/12/2015 is almost two months away and as stated above, Apperley looks ready to open now.

It's taken them a year to build a basic 2 platform halt and blown the best part of £10m on it. I believe it was originally scheduled to open in August so I don't suppose anyone will be under any pressure not to drag it out for another couple of months. It's only ratepayer/taxpayer's money.

Somehow I cant imagine a normal commercial organisation buying a £10m asset and not making use of it ASAP.

Oswyntail

Established Member
.......2) More than the accepted numerical norm of elderly lexocological pedants have found a home on this website and are keen sighted to observe lexocological iniquities, which they do so observe. (I am 70 years of age).
As someone who at least has heard of Xenophon, I might have expected you to consult your lexicon. ;)
I must say the signage at Apperley Bridge is impressively confident

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
As someone who at least has heard of Xenophon, I might have expected you to consult your lexicon. ;)

Did you ever read and translate his learned work..."The Persian Expedition". This was our set book in Greek in the late 1950's and where I first heard of the term "satrap".

Blessed are the spellcheckers of the non-predictive kind for they shall so open the eyes of the pedants...:oops:

lancastrian

Great pics. The platforms don't look that long. Guessing redundancy hasn't been built in for if we ever get formations of longer than 4 carriages

I agree great pictures. But I see that the usual foresight and pre-planning has been totally ignored as usual. The have managed to block the currently redundant trackbed. I wonder what the cost will be if there is need to re-quadrify the route. I could happen, as many singled routes have been redoubled and they keep telling us that passenger usage is growing fast.

I just keep hoping that someone involved in planning these reopening would actually consider future proofing these works, instead of just going for the cheapest current option.

Rant over!

bluenoxid

Established Member
There is no intention to 4 track the route at the moment. I'm impressed at the passive provision they've offered for track access, which could be opened up. Any four tracking will be steep regardless, so an additional few million upgrading Apperley Bridge won't be missed.

Considering the desire is to open a connection via Leeds Bradford Airport, any issues with capacity could be absorbed by that route if it was desired.

Grumpy

Just added some pictures to my Apperley Bridge Station album.

Yes, great pics.
I was amused by the shots you took of the black with red top bollards at the edge of the pavement on the A658. I couldn't see the purpose of these. Whatever the purpose, as shown in the pictures, two have been knocked over before the station even opens. They seem to be made out of some flimsy plastic. Just a waste of money.

stuartmoss

I went past Kirkstall Forge station yesterday on the top deck of the 33A bus towards Rawdon. The station seemed to be very much under construction still. The black lift shafts were clearly visible, but the entire car park area and access road (apart from the very first bit), are still completely under construction. I wouldn't imagine it being open for at least another month.

quantinghome

Established Member
I went past Kirkstall Forge station yesterday on the top deck of the 33A bus towards Rawdon. The station seemed to be very much under construction still. The black lift shafts were clearly visible, but the entire car park area and access road (apart from the very first bit), are still completely under construction. I wouldn't imagine it being open for at least another month.

The Metro website currently gives opening dates of November for Apperley Bridge and January for Kirkstall Forge.

Grumpy

As usual the Telegraph And Argus readership have written in to moan about how fingers should be pulled out to get Apperley Bridge up and running...

SEEING RED: Mystified motorists are queuing to 'let non-existent cars out from non-existent car park', says councillor

I don't quite see the issue myself if it makes some of them safer drivers! :lol:

And so they should be moaning. Most people forced to wait at lights for non-existent traffic would moan. The whole thing's a shambles. Looking at the pictures and reading reports of the state of the stations on the new Chiltern extension, Apperley Bridge looks closer to completion than the newly opened Chiltern stations.

Bantamzen

Established Member
And so they should be moaning. Most people forced to wait at lights for non-existent traffic would moan. The whole thing's a shambles. Looking at the pictures and reading reports of the state of the stations on the new Chiltern extension, Apperley Bridge looks closer to completion than the newly opened Chiltern stations.

Have you read ones of the comments on that story?

Agreed, station is way over schedule and needs to be opened ASAP.

I've been through these lights again twice today and they are sensor controlled too, so the only times they will go red to traffic on Apperley Lane are when site traffic emerges from Station Approach or a pedestrian activates the Puffin crossing.

Time Cllr Sunderland stopped wasting time and got her facts right. Only thing red here must be her face!

Still, it's amused me today no end :)

So they are sensor controlled, and as such aren't an issue unless some inconsiderate contractor vehicle or evil pedestrian approaches the junction to cross. And as for the picture of the councilor looking at annoyed at a... green light, well that just made me laugh!!

Hi new to this thread, but my grandma lived near Burley Park and I remember when that opened , are the new stations going to be as basic as Burley Park (or other WYPTE stations like Cottingley) for example?

MarkRedon

Hi new to this thread, but my grandma lived near Burley Park and I remember when that opened , are the new stations going to be as basic as Burley Park (or other WYPTE stations like Cottingley) for example?

Welcome to the thread – although I am pretty much of a newbie here as well. The two new stations will definitely not be basic in the same way as Burley Park was and is. The stations which were reopened by Metro WYPTE West Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive in the 1980s were built to a very basic specification, normally in wood. This was the case when Burley Park was reopened in 1988. When originally opened, new Metro stations typically had no specific parking provision – as is still the case at Burley Park. Newly-opened stations today have to be fully accessible, usually have a shelter or waiting room, ticket machines, and if they are on double-track will almost invariably have a fully accessible footbridge between the platforms. From memory, the cost of the new station at Saltaire in 1983(?) was £60,000. I expect that Burley Park cost about the same.

The total budget for the new stations at Kirkstall Forge and Apperley Bridge is reported as £16 million. Both stations will have significant car parking, new access roads and will be fully accessible. They have also taken years and years of planning and funding effort to put in place. In the privatised railway, there are a wide range of funding organisations, regulators, network operators, train operating companies and local authorities - all of whom have to be persuaded and actively support a reopening case. Network Rail is much more cautious about station reopenings today, not least because of their impact on overall journey times and route performance.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
So is Apperley Bridge on for first official trains on December 13th do we know?

Will they update the TVMs in time so people don't end up buying tickets to Appley Bridge?

Deerfold

Veteran Member

Will they update the TVMs in time so people don't end up buying tickets to Appley Bridge?

Metro's website still says November, but it's all gone very quiet.

I think the fare to Appley Bridge would confirm that it's incorrect. Apperley Bridge is available as an option on the trainline

Status
Not open for further replies.