• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

KORAIL employee accessed K-Pop star's details 18 times over 3 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
One from South Korea, an employee of the state operator KORAIL accessed the details of RM (Kim Nam-Joon), leader of the group BTS, 18 times over the span of 3 years. This included his phone number and travel information, which was given to a friend.
On March 1, SBS reported that a Korail employee, referred to only as A, had accessed RM’s personal information – including his mobile number, address and more – 18 times and had helped their friend book a train seat close to the BTS leader.

The employee reportedly said of their actions: “I simply looked at it because I was curious. I am reflecting on my mistakes.”

Korail, or Korea Railroad Corporation, said that the employee was in charge of IT development and had the authority to access customer’s personal data, reported the Korea Times. The employee first accessed RM’s personal details in 2019, and Korail has said it has not yet confirmed whether they leaked RM’s information to others.

BTS’s agency Big Hit has issued a statement saying it will verify the details and severity of the matter and that it will “take the necessary steps to protect” RM and other artists on its roster, per Koreaboo.

While RM has not commented on the matter, according to Koreaboo he did share a screengrab of a news report via a now-expired Instagram Story, reacting with the following symbols ^^;;, or a nervous smile emoji.

According to the Korea Times, Korail was notified that the employee told a colleague they were able to see RM in person after checking his travel details and subsequently carried out an internal audit. The employee has reportedly been removed from their position, with Korail taking steps towards further disciplinary action.

Status
Not open for further replies.