• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Krakow to Przemysl 11 October 2023 and return 17 October 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

AntoniC

I am planning to fly to Krakow on this date (with my 84 year old dad who is still ambulant) and catch the train to Przemysl (his birthplace).
Can I ask for help about the the cost of getting the train and the train timetable ?
Will I have to catch a train to Krakow Glowny and change on a train to Przemysl ?
Thanks for your help !

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bspahh

Established Member
If find Rome2Rio.com good for an overview of alternative routes. I would not rely too much on the prices and timetables that they quote, but it quotes £14-£35 for the 2 hour 51 minute train journey from Kraków to Przemyśl

The "Get In" section of the WikiVoyage article is good for how to get from Kraków airport to the city centre.

You can check timetables and book tickets at PKP Intercity but queries are returned in Polish. You can then switch the results to English. Google Translate might also help.

The Deutsche Bahn site is pretty good for timetable queries in Europe

Seat61.com is also good for advice on train routes between Kraków and other cities in Europe.

Last edited:

Peterthegreat

Established Member
Krakow Main Station to Przemysyl is reasonably frequent, takes around 3 hours and costs around £10 each way. Tickets can be booked in advance if so desired. However I wouldn't expect late October trains to be bookable for a good couple of months.

AntoniC

If find Rome2Rio.com good for an overview of alternative routes. I would not rely too much on the prices and timetables that they quote, but it quotes £14-£35 for the 2 hour 51 minute train journey from Kraków to Przemyśl

The "Get In" section of the WikiVoyage article is good for how to get from Kraków airport to the city centre.

You can check timetables and book tickets at PKP Intercity but queries are returned in Polish. You can then switch the results to English. Google Translate might also help.

The Deutsche Bahn site is pretty good for timetable queries in Europe

Seat61.com is also good for advice on train routes between Kraków and other cities in Europe.
Thank you !

Krakow Main Station to Przemysyl is reasonably frequent, takes around 3 hours and costs around £10 each way. Tickets can be booked in advance if so desired. However I wouldn't expect late October trains to be bookable for a good couple of months.
Thank you !

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
It's unusual for trains to be sold out in Poland unless its peak travel time - in late October this is very unlikely.

All of the train categories on this route which are TLK (Twoje Linie Kolejowe - basically "your railway lines"), InterCity and (possibly) Express InterCity - are compulsory reservation, so you'll have a seat booked either way.

I usually just book on the KOLEO app - it functions much like you'd get with British eTickets. You can show a QR code in the app or print off an emailed PDF. It has an English version, too.

Let me know if you have any questions about Kraków or navigating Kraków Głowny - my better half is originally from there so I know it fairly well.

AntoniC

It's unusual for trains to be sold out in Poland unless its peak travel time - in late October this is very unlikely.

All of the train categories on this route which are TLK (Twoje Linie Kolejowe - basically "your railway lines"), InterCity and (possibly) Express InterCity - are compulsory reservation, so you'll have a seat booked either way.

I usually just book on the KOLEO app - it functions much like you'd get with British eTickets. You can show a QR code in the app or print off an emailed PDF. It has an English version, too.

Let me know if you have any questions about Kraków or navigating Kraków Głowny - my better half is originally from there so I know it fairly well.
Thank you I will
(my dad lived in Krakow in 1944 his family moved from Przemysl as the Red Army moved west).

dutchflyer

Established Member
Dad gets free travel in Krakow for local transit: bus,tram. Just show ID/passpt when there is the occasional check-if they just dont straight pass by. On trains depends on the company, on PKP-IC 30% OFF full price-but early bookings saver prices may still be an odd PLN cheaper.
TLK started long, long ago as Tanie Linie Kol (=cheap trainline), around the time when IC got split off and PolRegio started for the locals, for the then standard loc+ compartment coaches with 8 seats-cramped.
As for the sector inside Ukrayna better wait till shortly before.
Note there are also plenty of direct buses between these 2 places-in Krakow busstation is right behind new train station. These may wait for hours and hours for the border checks.

Established Member
These two trains are interesting on this route as the are booked to convey a Swiss 1st class panoramic coach. Times approximate as they vary slightly on different dates:
EC104 14 00 ish Kraków Gł to Przemysl Gł
EC105 11.00 ish Przemysl Gł to Kraków Gł
These trains run from and to Graz.
Could be worth a special treat.

nwales58

Off-topic, so you can do a 3 day Hamburg-Zürich-Graz-Przemysl in Panoramawagen all the way, apart from the always fully-booked bit down the Rhein.
Is there anywhere else they now work, other than the Gotthard specials?
Anyone know of any new regular route for them after the Hamburg-Zürichs cease?

P Binnersley

When I was using the KOLEO app for planning in the UK a couple of years ago I realised that the app was converting the train times to UK times (one hour earlier). I'm not sure if this bug has been fixed. This may also affect you if you are using a VPN.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
When I was using the KOLEO app for planning in the UK a couple of years ago I realised that the app was converting the train times to UK times (one hour earlier). I'm not sure if this bug has been fixed. This may also affect you if you are using a VPN.
I didn't have that issue in December 2022. The app used to have a fit over certain UK cards but that seems to have been fixed as well.

Established Member
Off-topic, so you can do a 3 day Hamburg-Zürich-Graz-Przemysl in Panoramawagen all the way, apart from the always fully-booked bit down the Rhein. Is there anywhere else they now work, other than the Gotthard specials? Anyone know of any new regular route for them after the Hamburg-Zürichs cease?

This link details the six trains currently planned to have the panoramic cars:

https://www.vagonweb.cz/razeni/razeni.php?rok=2023&vuz=SBB+Apm+1990.1&najit=Find&v=p

Hamburg-Zurich workings to cease? What is the source for that please?

Status
Not open for further replies.