• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Kyle of Lochalsh- Fort William vs Inverness - Fort William

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnjkerbin

Has anyone travelled on the above Citylink bus routes and if so do you have a view on which is better scenically?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
They are very different, the Inverness route is loch scenery more or less throughout, the Kyle routes have a greater variety including sea loch and quite remote glen IIRC (it is years since I did the two Kyle routes, whereas I have driven the Great Glen relatively recently).
I might actually go for Kyle-Inverness because it runs a fair way along Loch Ness.

RT4038

Established Member
They are very different, the Inverness route is loch scenery more or less throughout, the Kyle routes have a greater variety including sea loch and quite remote glen IIRC (it is years since I did the two Kyle routes, whereas I have driven the Great Glen relatively recently).
I might actually go for Kyle-Inverness because it runs a fair way along Loch Ness.

I think you mean the Fort William-Inverness runs a fair way along Loch Ness?

My wife and I have taken the Inverness to Fort William trip twice both times in the summer. The first time was good with excellent views of the great glen and Loch Need the second time it was so misty you could see nothing for most of the trip. One small issue is that you do were the same stretch of road a few times with trips into various villages.

route101

Established Member
The.loch Ness route was not as scenic as it sounded when I done it . Was a coach but acts as a local bus.

Stan Drews

Established Member
I think you mean the Fort William-Inverness runs a fair way along Loch Ness?
The Kyle - Inverness service runs along around 3/4 of Loch Ness, so still plenty opporchancities to spot Nessie!

Essan

Personally I would much prefer Ft Bill to Kyle for the mountain scenery. One of the best coach journeys in the country. Assuming it's not raining .... However Ft Bill to Inverness (if you are on the south side of the coach) is better for looking for waves, boat wakes, or debris that might be a Loch Ness monster.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Inverness - Kyle is a route I've done maybe 3 times.

It's very scenic in parts but you don't always get a great view because of trees lining the road. That said, if you get a front seat (which I did last time I got it), it's really good.
The.loch Ness route was not as scenic as it sounded when I done it . Was a coach but acts as a local bus.
I can't argue with this.

However a small group of forum members did actually get a local Stagecoach bus on this route, due to the failure of the booked coach. The bus ran non-stop for pre-booked ticket holders through to Fort William only, and another vehicle was apparently being sent for all other passengers but there was no sign of it by the time we departed 20+ minutes late. This was probably at least a couple of years ago now; I've done the route without incident since.

route101

Established Member
Inverness - Kyle is a route I've done maybe 3 times.

It's very scenic in parts but you don't always get a great view because of trees lining the road. That said, if you get a front seat (which I did last time I got it), it's really good.
I can't argue with this.

However a small group of forum members did actually get a local Stagecoach bus on this route, due to the failure of the booked coach. The bus ran non-stop for pre-booked ticket holders through to Fort William only, and another vehicle was apparently being sent for all other passengers but there was no sign of it by the time we departed 20+ minutes late. This was probably at least a couple of years ago now; I've done the route without incident since.

Yes, not sure if the local Stagecoach services run through now.

Love to do FW up to Skye . Still not been to Skye yet. The coach up from Glasgow to FW is very scenic through Glencoe.

Status
Not open for further replies.