• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Labour, and Nationalisation (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DD12

I have not yet seen any references anywhere to the current Political "turmoil", which I think could POSSIBLY lead to the collapse of the new Conservative government, - possibly within months (or even sooner !) -

- my (mis- ) understanding is that if that happened, Jeremy Corbyn's Labour Party would then try to form a minority government, and in their Queen's Speech, there would be the proposal to re-nationalise the trains and the BUSES - ??

Does anyone know if that is a correct assessment of the situation ?

- or can someone correct it, or clarify please ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mbonwick

Established Member
The incumbent government has first right to form a minority government. The Conservatives are negotiating a "confidence & supply" arrangement with the DUP to achieve this.

It is expected that the incumbent Prime Minister will voluntarily resign if they cannot command the confidence of the House. Only then will the Queen be able to ask the leader of the next largest party to attempt to form a government.

As we're nowhere near that stage yet, and the contents of the Queens Speech would have to be worked out between the political parties, I cannot see how anyone can say that nationalisation would definitely appear in a Labour offering...

Due to the Fixed Term Parliaments Act, we're now stuck with a minority government for the next 5 years, unless the House agrees to another election - in which case it's back to ridiculous news coverage, empty promises etc...

DD12

Buses have never been mentioned.

- Do you mean that official Labour Party policy documents have NOT, in recent years, included a proposal to re-nationalise bus services ??

- ANYONE ??

mbonwick

Established Member
Doesn't really matter what their manifesto does or doesn't say, or did say in the past.

Labour are a long way off a majority, and in the unlikely event they get a shot at power, they will need to get several parties to agree to work with them - and that will mean concession will have to be made.

DD12

Doesn't really matter what their manifesto does or doesn't say, or did say in the past.

Labour are a long way off a majority, and in the unlikely event they get a shot at power, they will need to get several parties to agree to work with them - and that will mean concession will have to be made.

Thank you mbonwick, for your information and clarifications above.

- my concern is, at a time when, Politically, it seems almost anything can happen, - that the Labour Party could get into the position of writing a Queen's Speech, and that they may be able to persuade enough of the relevant MPs - (who attach a very low importance to, and have little interest in, bus services), that nationalisation would be the best course of action.

(Whereas I don't !)

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Thank you mbonwick, for your information and clarifications above.

- my concern is, at a time when, Politically, it seems almost anything can happen, - that the Labour Party could get into the position of writing a Queen's Speech, and that they may be able to persuade enough of the relevant MPs - (who attach a very low importance to, and have little interest in, bus services), that nationalisation would be the best course of action.

(Whereas I don't !)

They're far more likely to want local politicians/mayors in areas they control politically to dictate bus services, with possible re-introduction of municipal operators. I can't see many, even the most rabid leftie, wanting to re-introduce the National Bus Company.:)

Ginga

Ian Morgan chairman of Wellglade (Trent Barton, Bartons, Kinchbus, Notts and Derby, Midland General, Tm Travel and Tramlink). Went to a Cpt Conference last year and said during his speech "I fear the Government is trying to take my family business". His Son who is service Director had the 18 service moved to bay 18 or 19 (cannot remember which) in Broadmarsh, out of the way. So they could say the numbers have dropped and cut the service. But I was told they did not wish to pick a fight with Tory Battleaxe Anna Soubry.

Last edited:

takno

Established Member
- Do you mean that official Labour Party policy documents have NOT, in recent years, included a proposal to re-nationalise bus services ??

- ANYONE ??

Not that I'm aware of. They've talked a bit about moving to a London-style model, and everyone is always very keen on pointing out that Edinburgh, Nottingham and Brighton have thriving public sector operations. I don't think they've even specified public ownership anywhere though, let alone a nationalised operator.

Marc

Buses have never been mentioned.

one of the pressure groups posted party polacies from the manefestos. cons/ukip proposed to extend community minibuses fund. lab proposed -not for profit- operations to be set up in cities. libs just proposed more regulation iirc.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Not that I'm aware of. They've talked a bit about moving to a London-style model, and everyone is always very keen on pointing out that Edinburgh, Nottingham and Brighton have thriving public sector operations. I don't think they've even specified public ownership anywhere though, let alone a nationalised operator.

Brighton ?????

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Dthey will need to get several parties to agree to work with them - and that will mean concession will have to be made.

As the Scottish National Party changed their views on nationalisation and regulation of bus services after a significant cash injection from a certain Brian Souter...

Labour haven't proposed nationalising the railways or the buses. They said they would take TOCs into national ownership, and they've said that there should be more regulation of bus networks and bus services.

I don't actually think they are wrong on either, as people on here well know. The biggest problem with commercial bus networks is the lack of coherence, both in terms of timetabling and ticketing. Purely commercial bus networks lead to over-bussing on competitive flows and a retrenchment from marginal flows.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I don't actually think they are wrong on either, as people on here well know. The biggest problem with commercial bus networks is the lack of coherence, both in terms of timetabling and ticketing. Purely commercial bus networks lead to over-bussing on competitive flows and a retrenchment from marginal flows.

I agree. FWIW I think Germany has the bus thing right as things are now. City transport fully regulated and coordinated by a higher authority to give a single-ticket, single-fare ride from A to B via whatever mode (I don't care if Anytown Council Bus Services Ltd or Souterbus operate it, whichever is cheaper for the required level of service and quality). Long-distance bus transport unregulated and open to the free market.

As for the railways I'd be happy with renationalisation, but also with some tweaks I don't overly mind the present system either. Both have strengths and weaknesses.

Last edited:

DD12

Thanks everyone, and SORRY !

I believed I had read, somewhere, that Labour ( - IF they gained sufficient power in parliament), would re-nationalise the buses.

I have now looked at Page 90 of the 2017 Labour manifesto, and quote:-

"we will enable councils to provide first-class bus services by extending the powers to re-regulate local bus services to all areas that want them, and we will support the creation of municipal bus companies that are publicly run for passengers, not profit."

Status
Not open for further replies.