• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Labour's Plan for Rail

BrianW

Established Member
Did anyone on the forum see or hear or read the 7 minute speech given by Louise Haigh, the shadow Secretary of State for Transport at the Labour Party Conference:

It took place in the 'graveyard slot' following Keir Starmer; the video has had apparently 39 Views. After what you might expect regarding HS2, Rail comes in at about 4 mins. Time will tell how a Plan for Rail develops.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Thirteen

Labour has realised a number of videos on their YouTube channel with the various members of the Shadow Cabinet but some are missing like David Lammy and Louise Haigh.

Giving buses to local authorities is a good idea, we know it works with TfL buses and the Bee Network.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Did anyone on the forum see or hear or read the 7 minute speech given by Louise Haigh, the shadow Secretary of State for Transport at the Labour Party Conference:

It took place in the 'graveyard slot' following Keir Starmer; the video has had apparently 39 Views. After what you might expect regarding HS2, Rail comes in at about 4 mins. Time will tell how a Plan for Rail develops.
Nationalisation I hear. More regional control. Talk of reform of the railways - priority being a service for the public (no mention of the staff rightly or wrongly).

Lurcheroo

Yes, not matter what changes they make, if there’s not sufficient (and happy) staff then, the it won’t be a service for the public. But equally just having sufficient and happy staff wont be enough to run a better service, they both need to go hand-in-hand.

GCH100

Labour has realised a number of videos on their YouTube channel with the various members of the Shadow Cabinet but some are missing like David Lammy and Louise Haigh.

Giving buses to local authorities is a good idea, we know it works with TfL buses and the Bee Network.
I would be dubious by assuming it works with the Bee Network buses, service hasn't been going a month and there have already been problems, the jury is still out on that.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Labour have enticed an ex Siemens director to lead a review into Major Project rail delivery in the UK

https://www.standard.co.uk/business...nto-major-rail-project-delivery-b1126835.html

Former Siemens UK boss Juergen Maier has been appointed by Labour to lead a review into how the delivery of major rail projects can be improved.
The panel of transport experts will recommend to the party how infrastructure schemes can be completed “better, faster and more cost effectively”, Labour said.

This could include how to change the planning system, boost supply chains and attract more private investment.
Labour said the review was necessary because many projects had suffered severe difficulties and delays, such as HS2 and the electrification of the Midland Mainline.
All Labour need to do is authorise MML elecn as NR and its supply chain have proven they can deliver. I would suggest its TPE that needs looking into alongside HS2.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Labour's plan is clearly not yet detailed enough to publish, but it's "coming" - possibly in time for their election manifesto, but maybe not even then.
We get the oft-repeated but never clarified policy to "bring the railways back into public ownership", as if they weren't already.
Many months have passed since this posting was made. Have there been any recent clarifications on the matter?

Last edited:

BrianW

Established Member
Many months have passed since this posting was made. Have there been any recent clarifications on the matter?
Not needed this side of the General Election. Not a cast-iron vote winner so why? I also can't help but think (like a Red-waller?) that Louise Haigh's colourful hair doesn't convey 'serious':

Lurcheroo

Not needed this side of the General Election. Not a cast-iron vote winner so why? I also can't help but think (like a Red-waller?) that Louise Haigh's colourful hair doesn't convey 'serious':
I don’t think hair colour makes any difference to ‘serious’. If it did, rishi would have a multi coloured mo-hawk at this point.

Oxfordblues

If only they would bring the road haulage industry "back into public ownership" I might support renationalisation. I'm old enough to remember British Road Services and National Carriers!