• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lack of consistency in penalty fares

Status
Not open for further replies.

brick60000

Hi all,

My question arises from a situation of what I believe to be a combination of factors representing very poor customer service onboard a service tonight between Stourbridge Junction and Stratford-Upon-Avon. I've written an email to West Midlands Railway / WMTrains about this, which will be sent tomorrow, and have included it below to give a flavour of the situation that arose tonight. My post is regarding both this, and general approaches to penalty fares on WMR/LNR services.

I have concealed exact details of the service involved.

To whom it may concern,

I am writing concerning what I regard to be inappropriate and unprofessional behaviour by the senior conductor on your **** **:** service from Stourbridge Junction to Stratford-upon-Avon.

I boarded the service from Stourbridge in the front coach, and quickly the senior conductor had made his way to the front coach to check tickets (by the point of leaving Lye). Normally, this is something I praise, as it is good to see that conductors are checking tickets, especially when like myself you possess a season ticket and there is nothing less aggravating than seeing passengers get away with having their journey at zero cost when you pay a not inconsiderable sum of money for your own travel.

The first thing that I noticed was the unprofessional appearance of the conductor. A half-unbuttoned shirt, with a black vest clearly visible beneath, no name badge and a generally scruffy appearance.

Two passengers on board the train had not purchased a ticket at their origin station. I fully appreciate that the Snow Hill Lines operate on a penalty fares scheme, and that any guard is within their right to penalty fare a customer on this line should they have not purchased a ticket prior to boarding where there is means to do so. Both passengers had boarded at Stourbridge, so of course, payment had been an option. What bothers me here, though, is the lack of consistency. If you are operating a penalty fares system, surely the only way to effectively enforce it is by charging the fine each time. You must be aware that most conductors do simply issue a ticket each time, and it is generally only revenue protection officers that will issue a penalty fare, so this clearly creates potential for an attitude among passengers that have never encountered revenue protection officers that, despite what the posters say, it is acceptable to purchase a ticket on board.

The conductor guard proceeded to issue a ticket to each of these passengers, in turn, but in a far less than professional manner. The first passenger proceeded to show the guard his railcard and ask for a return to his destination station. The conductor informed the passenger that he would be charging full fare, due to him having not purchased a fare before-hand. This is, of course, perfectly reasonable. There are, though, it would seem, ways and means of doing this. The conductor enquired why the passenger had not purchased a ticket, who said something along the lines of him being very rushed and “having a lot on his mind at the moment”. The conductor said that this was “ridiculous”. I do not wish to advocate the lack of purchase of a ticket, but in a time where railway suicides are sadly at an all time high, and I am sure all of your employees are aware of this, is having such a snide attack at someone saying such things really appropriate? An arguably minor point, and one that I would not have complained about in singularity but given its coupling to the following points I have included it here.

The conductor would not issue the Network West Midlands super off peak ticket, arguing that this was a discounted ticket not available onboard your trains, and could only be purchased at a station. To me, this again highlights the lack of consistency provided, with many conductors willing to offer the full range of tickets, including railcard discounts. Surely, this increases the risk of fare evasion? Is a standard policy one way or the other not a better way to go?

The senior conductor then proceeded down the carriage and encountered the second male passenger that had not purchased a ticket. This passenger questioned the identity of the conductor – as I have stated earlier, he was dressed far from professionally, and whilst I appreciate this may be a desire of many at the end of a long day, it is not something I have come to expect from yourselves. The conductor proceeded to tell the passenger, loudly enough that I could hear from the middle of the carriage (the passenger was sat towards the drivers cab end of the carriage) how he was the train guard, and he had the authority to ask him to leave, and that if he didn’t want to he should “sling [his] hook” and leave the train at the next stop. Again, I fully appreciate the conductor’s authority to do this, but again, there are ways and means of telling passengers in a manner that conveys professionalism. He informed the passenger that he would fetch identification from the rear cab and show the passenger later in the journey

The conductor then attended to station duties at Cradley Heath, where two ladies in dresses boarded the train. The conductor proceeded to check their tickets, and discovered that they too had not purchased a ticket. The conductors approach to this was initially similar to the previous two passengers, enquiring why they had not purchased tickets prior to boarding. The passengers replied that they were rushed to board the train, being on their way to work, or on their way from work. The conductor then said “you’re going to work dressed like that?”. He explained, rather loudly, certainly enough to be within earshot of the concerned passenger, that the passenger at the other end of the coach did not believe who he was and wanted to see his ID, and continued to flirt with the two female passengers. He remarked that they were making him feel all hot and flustered, or the like, and that they’d caused him to leave his door control keys in the panel. He proceeded to show his identification to the passenger that had questioned his role, and then returned to his rear cab, at this point, having not charged the two female passengers.

He remained in his rear cab, I believe, between Langley Green and Smethwick Galton Bridge and made no attempt to charge the two female passengers for a ticket. I had wondered down to the rear coach as I was contemplating whether I should voice my concerns to the conductor about what I believed to be inappropriate and unprofessional behaviour

I exited the train at Smethwick Galton Bridge, in the rearmost passenger door next to the position from which the guard was dispatching the train (his rear cab). I was still, at this point, unsure whether I should voice my concerns directly to the conductor.

As a volunteer on a local, and highly regarded, heritage railway, I am aware how I would much rather a passenger voiced their concerns to me directly so that it can be dealt with and resolved in a professional manner, than it to be channelled officially without any attempt to resolve an issue on my part.

Having exited the train, I stood by the door and the conductor asked if I was okay. Unwilling to lie, I said “no, not really” and calmly explained how I thought he had handled the situation unprofessionally, especially regarding bad mouthing one passenger to other passengers in earshot (though at all is inappropriate, I believe) and that I felt his difference in approach between the male and female passengers was sexist. I asked him if he had charged the two ladies, and he said that he had not yet been able to, as he was required to show this man identification. Personally, I believe this being selective with the truth, as the conductor had continued his duties following this, passing into coaches towards the rear of the train and returning to his cab by Langley Green, without charging the two lady passengers. He did say that he would return to charge them, though I do feel somewhat sceptical about the ultimate outcome. In hindsight, sexism was perhaps a foolish term to use, as it is often one that is emotive and triggers a defensive response. However, I do not feel that excuses his response of telling me I was being stupid and that I should go and ask them if they thought it was sexist. He ended the conversation with a snide “put a complaint in if you want to complain”. Again, I fully appreciate he had operational requirements to tend to, and his conversation could only brief as he was required to dispatch his train and keep to time. Again, though, there are ways and means of professionally handling situations like these, and I honestly think the conductor failed to uphold a good standard of customer service this evening.

I hope that the details with which I have provided you are sufficient to enable to you identify the conductor involved. If not, please do not hesitate to contact me.

I hope you are able to offer a response to this situation, and explain whether steps will be taken to prevent similar instances of poor customer service happening again.

Kind regards,

I'm interested in any opinions on the guards response to this situation, and whether others would agree that this was unprofessional and inappropriate on the guards part.

However, the events also got me thinking about the general inconsistency of penalty fares. I'm sure this has been raised before, so if so, my apologies for creating a new thread. Do others agree that it seems counter-intuitive to have a penalty fares system that is only applied some of the time? Being able to buy your tickets onboard 9/10 times without any trouble whatsoever from the train guard does, in my view, understandably create confusion when passengers are sometimes fined by revenue / the guard for doing this. I'm aware the potential for a penalty fare is advertised, and that many people would question the ethics of boarding a train without a ticket. I am completely not advocating this, as I hope my email to WMR reflects, but I do believe that a more consistent approach should be adopted. Does anyone have opinions on this?

Will be interested to here the opinions of others!

Kind regards,

Brick60000

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sprinter153

Given that Senior Conductors can't issue penalty fares as they are not Authorised Collectors I don't know what you expected him to do other than, as the Conditions of Travel state, 'charge the full undiscounted anytime single fare to a station directly served by the train that you are on'. The issue is more with colleagues that will always offer the full range of tickets as opposed to those that uphold the rules fully.

After that, it just reads like a rather bitter 1500-word attempt at picking apart every aspect of someone doing their job.

brick60000

Given that Senior Conductors can't issue penalty fares as they are not Authorised Collectors I don't know what you expected him to do other than, as the Conditions of Travel state, 'charge the full undiscounted anytime single fare to a station directly served by the train that you are on'. The issue is more with colleagues that will always offer the full range of tickets as opposed to those that uphold the rules fully.

After that, it just reads like a rather bitter 1500-word attempt at picking apart every aspect of someone doing their job.

Interesting - I wasn't aware that it was the case they were unable to issue the penalty fares. I've definitely seen the conductor of an LM (of course now LNR/WMR) train issue a penalty fare before, so wonder what the circumstances were on that occasion.

As you say, that is the main issue in that there is a lack of consistency. I'm certainly not attempting to pick apart his job - his general demeanour was very unprofessional and there is no getting away from that, I feel.

PeterC

Established Member
As a general point rules can either be applied consistently regardless of circumsances or staff can be allowed to exercise discretion.

gray1404

Established Member
LM/WMT/LNW or whatever they are calling themselves now do not have guards, conductors or senior conductors (whatever term they are using this week) who can issue penalty fares. You will not have seen one of those being issued by a guard on that companies service.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I would cut out some of it, e.g. the part about conductors not charging Penalty Fares. The rules allow for this; the fares they issue should have Penalty Fare warnings.

The conduct clearly isn't appropriate however...
... it just reads like a rather bitter 1500-word attempt at picking apart every aspect of someone doing their job.
...shows what you're up against: a huge cultural problem where poor service is considered acceptable. If you want change, you'll need to be prepared to fight hard for it. It'll probably be swept under the carpet.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
LM/WMT/LNW or whatever they are calling themselves now do not have guards, conductors or senior conductors (whatever term they are using this week) who can issue penalty fares. You will not have seen one of those being issued by a guard on that companies service.

I can confirm this. I have only ever seen the RPI squads issue PFs, and even them very rarely. Even barrier staff appear from what I can see to offer the passenger the opportunity to correct their "error" (e.g. people at MKC being offered the chance to go back to Bletchley, along the lines of "I can let you through, but it'll cost you £20") in preference to getting the pad out.

It's all a bit civilised compared with sarf of Landan. :)

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Others have already commented and explained the Guard can’t issue a Penalty Fare, but if you’re going to send that complaint in you need to cut the length down massively. State the point in a paragraph, say why you’re unhappy, and tell them what you expect back from them to satisfy you.

roversfan2001

Established Member
At the end of the day, it didn't really matter to you did it? Also...
especially when like myself you possess a season ticket and there is nothing less aggravating than seeing passengers get away with having their journey at zero cost when you pay a not inconsiderable sum of money for your own travel
Season tickets give a huge discount on travel, someone on an Anytime ticket would be far more "aggravated" based on this logic.

brick60000

I would cut out some of it, e.g. the part about conductors not charging Penalty Fares. The rules allow for this; the fares they issue should have Penalty Fare warnings.

The conduct clearly isn't appropriate however...

...shows what you're up against: a huge cultural problem where poor service is considered acceptable. If you want change, you'll need to be prepared to fight hard for it. It'll probably be swept under the carpet.

Thanks for the feedback here. Does anyone else consider it counter productive that the rules do allow for this? I really can appreciate that some people who don't pay attention to signage at stations (I'm not advocating this at all, but it does happen) get confused when once in a while they are penalty fares for something that has been considered normal and has been achievable.

I can confirm this. I have only ever seen the RPI squads issue PFs, and even them very rarely. Even barrier staff appear from what I can see to offer the passenger the opportunity to correct their "error" (e.g. people at MKC being offered the chance to go back to Bletchley, along the lines of "I can let you through, but it'll cost you £20") in preference to getting the pad out.

It's all a bit civilised compared with sarf of Landan. :)

I'm really intrigued by this as I have definitely seen somebody that I know works as a senior conductor issue a penalty fare. From memory, I've spoken to somebody that said conductors are sometimes put on training courses to enable them to issue penalty fares? Is there any weight behind this?

At the end of the day, it didn't really matter to you did it? Also...

Season tickets give a huge discount on travel, someone on an Anytime ticket would be far more "aggravated" based on this logic.

No, it didn't matter to me. Doesn't make it ant more acceptable though. That principle could be applied to many things - just because something didn't impact me directly wouldn't deter me from reporting it.

The point about season tickets isnt attempting to say that holders don't recieve a large discount, more that when people get away without paying (e.g. the two ladies in question...) it's incredibly frustrating that you, along with other fare paying passengers, are effectively funding their ticketless travel.

I'll take everyone's advice though and remove this from the email!

I won't send it until later today/tomorrow so I can take into consideration any other feedback / opinions on the matter! :)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Thanks for the feedback here. Does anyone else consider it counter productive that the rules do allow for this? I really can appreciate that some people who don't pay attention to signage at stations (I'm not advocating this at all, but it does happen) get confused when once in a while they are penalty fares for something that has been considered normal and has been achievable.
To be honest it's a completely separate subject to the other matters. There are existing threads which should cover it; try a search, but if there isn't a suitable thread already, you are welcome to create one.

Starmill

Veteran Member
If I were you I would avoid any reference to a fine, as these are not the same thing as a Penalty Fare. I would perhaps also not suggest that the conductor has the 'authority' to physically remove someone from the train. I'm not really sure what these will achieve for you anyway.

brick60000

Do you really need to send in a complaint at all on this occasion?

In my eyes, yes. Had I not been subject to being told the concerns I was voicing to the senior conductor were stupid, and that I should "send a complaint if you want to complain" in a sarcastic tone, then perhaps not. Little things have stacked together here to make me feel the customer service offered my WMR was far below the expected level, and far from professional.

If I were you I would avoid any reference to a fine, as these are not the same thing as a Penalty Fare. I would perhaps also not suggest that the conductor has the 'authority' to physically remove someone from the train. I'm not really sure what these will achieve for you anyway.

Perhaps I don't make it clear in the email that it was the guard who said he could ask the passenger to leave? The point I was getting at there was the snarled "sling your hook" from halfway down the carriage was, again, far from professional!

Status
Not open for further replies.