• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lack of local knowledge by developers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pemma

Veteran Member
I once saw an application saying the site was convenient for a bus route, yet the bus stop is on the other side of a railway line with no bridge or underpass included in the application meaning a long walk round.

telstarbox

Established Member
...which is why it's worth engaging a decent transport consultant :)

I see theirs are based in Guildford as well!

Last edited:

dgl

Established Member
Local transport advisors are useless, I know where my dad lives they are building new houses and claim the roads around it can handle the extra traffic, this is at the end of a normal sized street with cars parked on the road, a junior school and a dairy just off it at the end with the associated tankers.
The local government even sold the land that a new school and doctors was reserved for which will be required for all these new houses.
It's bad enough there at the moment esp. during school pick-up/drop-off where cars can be stuck for ages with both tankers and people picking up children blocking the road.

Though saying that I wouldn't worry too much about what's in the planning as the right amount of money placed into the right hands or the right person in the right place is all you need to get it approved.
One developer round here even managed to go to court to get town green status removed from land they had acquired so they could build on it.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Here in Epsom a supermarket application has just been thrown out from a site at a five way junction on the grounds that the roads could not handle the extra traffic it would generate.

Those who opposed this development state that a nearby vacant site would be much more suitable.

The vacant site they mean is about 400 feet down the road from the exact same junction.:roll:

The rejected site:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.3...4!1sc7oY1gx9cpyu3gofrKzA3w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The site the objectors say is ideal:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.3...4!1svBdqCAv1lQwBbOFieCPn9Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Looking the other way from the "ideal" site:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.3...4!1sP4Hzh0g4pfvhZXLK3H0ZiQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The roofs at the top of the road are those opposite the rejected site...

It will make zero difference to the traffic whichever site was chosen; everything generated if either location was chosen would still be using the exact same roads.

pemma

Veteran Member
Local transport advisors are useless, I know where my dad lives they are building new houses and claim the roads around it can handle the extra traffic, this is at the end of a normal sized street with cars parked on the road, a junior school and a dairy just off it at the end with the associated tankers.

That's because if they said the existing infrastructure can't cope the developers would have to pay for infrastructure developments. Developers don't mind paying for a new set of traffic lights or a new roundabout but don't want to pay for a new road (except where one is required to get from the existing roads to the development), new station, new bridge etc.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
That's because if they said the existing infrastructure can't cope the developers would have to pay for infrastructure developments. Developers don't mind paying for a new set of traffic lights or a new roundabout but don't want to pay for a new road (except where one is required to get from the existing roads to the development), new station, new bridge etc.

and now with the watering down of S.106 agreements they don't have to - trebles all round!

Status
Not open for further replies.