• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lancashire Day Ranger routing question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Francis

Is the Lancashire Day Ranger ticket valid on TransPennine services coming through from Scotland, between Wigan North Western and Manchester Piccadilly/Oxford Road running via the Parkside curve and Chat Moss route?

The Northern Rail advertising leaflet says that the Ranger ticket is valid at all three of these stations, yet the map does not show the line south of Wigan to Golborne Jc - Lowton Jc - Parkside East Jc.

Could one ask for a zero excess ticket, in so far as the route from Wigan to Manchester via Bolton or via Atherton is definitely covered?

The same on Saturdays would apply to the 2F25 0644 Wigan NW - Newton le Willows - Liverpool Lime St. which takes the WCML south to Golborne Jc - Lowton Jc - Parkside W Jc and calls at Newton le Willows etc., instead of running via St Helens Central.

The more general question - is a Rover or Ranger map definitive as regards permitted lines, or is it the list of stations on it which is definitive? Or the limiting stations of the whole area covered?

When the new electric service was first introduced, I did once - on a Manchester-Edinburgh train crossing Chat Moss - have a Transpennine ticket inspector look at my Lancashire Day Ranger in a rather puzzled way, but he let it pass. I did the route again yesterday, so I was wondering if I might be challenged.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mikeg

Established Member
Normally it's the map that's definitive, not just the list of stations. For example, the Tyne Tees Day Rangers is explicitly NOT valid on the ECML between Northallerton and Darlington, however it says this in the T&Cs. This is despite it being valid at both stations.

It may be that the map is badly drawn, or it's not valid that way. The most definitive way would be to ask either Northern, who promote the fare, or ATOC who normally govern routeing. You could also ask TPE as its their trains and they could give you permission to travel this way.

My hunch says it's not valid this way but not awfully sure it's not an error. For example on the ATOC version of the map for the North East rover the Penistone line was missed out, yet was always included on the Northern Rail map (old franchise, haven't done this rover in a while so may have changed) so errors are probably not uncommon. Edit: It showsthe Penistone line for the NE rover nowadays, maybe because I mentioned it on the forum at the time. But my point stands that the maps may have errors.

Of course if you ask all three you'll probably get three different answers knowing our rail industry. :lol:

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
I've used the rover without any issues travelling on a TPE 350 from Manchester to Wigan, it is probably a case of the map not having been updated since those services started running in May 2014 (as previously I believe only a few trains were routed that way with the TPE Scotland services going via Bolton).

Similar I have used the rover without any questions on that Northern service from Wigan towards Liverpool going via Newton-Le-Willows

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The map is out of date. I've not had any problems either via Lowton/Parkside.
Rather more seriously, the CLC route via Warrington is not allowed, nor is Warrington-Earlestown/Golborne.

Mulberry2016

Wigan to MAN stations and vice versa, whatever route or service, no problem with the Lanc Ranger since there are no stations in between that services do not stop at that lie outside its validity. But slightly off-topic, it is getting to be a rather expensive ticket for what it is. I certainly wouldn't pay all that money for it; maybe I would if they made it valid for 2 days

Last edited:

miami

Established Member
How would a passenger be supposed to know what route a train is going on when there are no intermediate stations?

daodao

Established Member
The map is out of date. I've not had any problems either via Lowton/Parkside.
Rather more seriously, the CLC route via Warrington is not allowed, nor is Warrington-Earlestown/Golborne.

Some of the ranger maps published by other operators are also out of date and could be misleading.

Cletus

Established Member
I would take a print of the Ranger map with me and draw in the missing route between Manchester and Wigan.

For large area day rangers I always take a copy because I find myself being questioned most times. Recently using a WMDR towards Shrewsbury on an ATW train, I was told it wasn't valid. So I showed the guard the map and everything was ok. Even let him keep the map as he didn't know its extent!

Status
Not open for further replies.