• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lancaster trains to Manchester tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broseley man

First day of season ticket tomorrow and the 7.24 TPE to Manchester from Preston is missing but is there on Tuesday. Has anyone any idea why this is so?:(

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

driver9000

Established Member
There isn't a 07:24 Preston to Manchester. The 07:24 from Lancaster is normally the 04:22 from Glasgow Central which is affected by the closure of the WCML at Lamington. I would guess there is no 07:24 on Monday because there won't be stock in place from Sunday night to start up from Carlisle.

There is a 07:48 direct service to Manchester arriving at Piccadilly arriving 08:56 though.

Broseley man

Thanks for this info. This is my first ever post on here and I got it wrong. Another unsmiling face!I meant to say that the 07:24 from Lancaster to Manchester VIA Preston is missing but is working on Tuesday. I understand that the 07:24 is a through working from Glasgow. I don't understand why TPE can't get a train and train crew to run the 07:24 on Tuesday but not on Monday OR why if TPE know there is a problem they can't get a train and crew in place at Carlisle to work the train down from there tomorrow. I hope this makes sense. Thanks to anyone who can explain further.

Crossover

Established Member
driver9000 seems to have given the likely cause of the rescheduling for tomorrow (note, it is running, but starting from Preston a bit earlier than usual) - that being engineering works preventing TPE getting units into a position to run a service from Glasgow or Carlisle in the morning.

After Carlisle, I suspect the next crew depot is at Preston, hence starting there rather than "in the sticks" at Lancaster

Class 170101

Established Member
driver9000 seems to have given the likely cause of the rescheduling for tomorrow (note, it is running, but starting from Preston a bit earlier than usual) - that being engineering works preventing TPE getting units into a position to run a service from Glasgow or Carlisle in the morning.

After Carlisle, I suspect the next crew depot is at Preston, hence starting there rather than "in the sticks" at Lancaster

I thought Freightliner Drivers drove the trains to / from Scotland? I don't think TPE have a depot at Carlisle.

driver9000

Established Member
I thought Freightliner Drivers drove the trains to / from Scotland? I don't think TPE have a depot at Carlisle.

Freightliner work Carlisle-Glasgow and the early/late Edinburgh services that have balancing working. You're right TPE don't have a depot at Carlisle, they're worked by Piccadilly, Preston and Blackpool depots who all have work to Edinburgh but as the line is currently blocked at Lamington there are no trains to/from Glasgow and Edinburgh.

driver9000

Established Member
Out of interest do TPE have any 350s stranded North of the Block and if so is a 185 capable of hauling these out or would an X move with Loco and barriers be needed?

I believe one 350 was left at Craigentinny and a 185 was used for the Edinburgh to Newcastle shuttle.

It's not possible to couple a 185 to a 350 as the gathering horn on the 185 coupler would foul the 350s gangway connection.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Think they can but for rescue purposes only. I cannot confirm or deny as I dont sign them.

Would be interesting to see if they have clearance for the 350's on ECML then servicing can be done at York, while freeing up 185's for normal services. Otherwise a rescue tow via GSW to get back to ardwick may be on the cards. This here bridge gonna be shut for a while

jamesrpx

National Rail web site is showing departure from Lancaster to Manchester at 0655, calling at Preston 0715 and notes it is disrupted. From past experience I expect that it will actually be starting from Preston which appears to be what Real Time trains thinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.