• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Landslip at Wellington (Shropshire), Birmingham - Shrewsbury services suspended

Steve Harris

Seems one of the rail replacement coaches with 25 people on board crashed into a bridge near Albrighton and got covered with debris.

This was already mentioned in posts #22 and 23.

(Unfortunately, when your on a mobile device it's not very easy to do a quote box like in your post (especially if your using the BBC app compared to the website)).

So would it have been safer to use temporary single line working on the railway and use shuttle trains rather than dangerous coaches.
I don't think it was the coach which was unsafe, it's the person trying to drive a vehicle somewhere where they shouldn't is the unsafe part.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Birmingham

I'm travelling between Northampton and the Heart of Wales line on the 28th March. Sods law, I purchased tickets two days ago with a split at Birmingham. I really want to avoid the rail replacement coach as I'll have my five year old with me and last time we caught a coach, he projectile vomited everywhere!

Am I right in thinking that, despite ticket acceptance via any reasonable route, the split tickets still won't be valid via Crewe as we'll be going nowhere near Birmingham?
I am sure this would be fine in the circumstances. You can ask the guard of the ‘off-route’ trains prior to boarding.

Caaardiff

I am sure this would be fine in the circumstances. You can ask the guard of the ‘off-route’ trains prior to boarding.
The other option would be to Hereford then up to Craven Arms.

I was at Chester Friday morning waiting for the Holyhead to Birmingham international.
It came in on time at 11.18. (class 158)

We were delayed for 20 minutes while they attached a class 150 to the back.

During this delay I overheard 2 mobile phone conversations about a blockage between Shrewsbury and Birmingham.

I thought to myself why don't Tfw tell the Birmingham passengers get off and go to Crewe.

We left Chester and straight away the guard informed us that Buses would be waiting for us at Shrewsbury.

Didn't Tfw know about this serious blockage?

When we got to Shrewsbury passengers were told to board a Manchester train and go back to Crewe.

Is there an explanation for this nonsense, or is it just shockingly bad customer care?
From reports I've seen it only happened around 1030 so full details probably weren't known by then and full comms sent out.

AndrewE

Established Member
That would be far too sensible, but even as TfW don't surely there must be another operator that could have route conducted them between Wolverhampton and Crewe (via Stafford).
I don't think any of the operators in the area have enough staff to run their own trains reliably, let alone provide conductors for extra ones. I guess fright operators might be able to help out?

northwichcat

Established Member
It does seem unfortunate that whenever there's a blockage in England, TfW Rail are unwilling or unable to retain a service on the open part of the line that's not the 'Welsh side' of the blockage.

I thought to myself why don't Tfw tell the Birmingham passengers get off and go to Crewe.

I suppose there's a chance TfW Rail hadn't agreed ticket acceptance for other operator's services. However, even in that case they could suggest those of you not on an Advance ticket who are heading to Birmingham can alight at Crewe, as it'll likely be quicker than travelling via Shrewsbury.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I don't think it was the coach which was unsafe, it's the person trying to drive a vehicle somewhere where they shouldn't is the unsafe part.
Indeed. Even if the driver isn't prosecuted for their handling of the vehicle, they or their company will still be punished through their insurance / licence.

G_for_Gnome

The Planner

Veteran Member
There is some news

West Midlands Railway to run Birmingham to Shifnal, from next week by the looks of it

Transport for Wales say Shrewsbury to Wellington isn’t possible…

A spokesperson for Transport for Wales said it wasn't possible for "a number of operational reasons".

They said trains could not turn around at Wellington station, meaning Shrewsbury to Wellington would not be feasible.

"Trains go in one direction on one set of tracks and in the opposite direction on a different set of tracks so they need the ability to turn around (swap tracks) which is not possible at Wellington," they explained.

TfW are telling porkies unless the crossover at the east end of Wellington is out of use. There is a shunt signal they can use to cross back over to P2.

LowLevel

Established Member
A spokesperson for Transport for Wales said it wasn't possible for "a number of operational reasons".

They said trains could not turn around at Wellington station, meaning Shrewsbury to Wellington would not be feasible.

"Trains go in one direction on one set of tracks and in the opposite direction on a different set of tracks so they need the ability to turn around (swap tracks) which is not possible at Wellington," they explained.

TfW are telling porkies unless the crossover at the east end of Wellington is out of use. There is a shunt signal they can use to cross back over to P2.

Is the platform starter the protecting signal for the block maybe?

Undiscovered

Is the platform starter the protecting signal for the block maybe?
No, the protecting signal is further on, beyond Donnington Junction, just before the Haybridge Road bridge, behind the Cylinder factory.

Edit: signal MJ356

AlanL

Yes, you are completely correct! TfW are telling lots of lies, as a shuttle service is fairly straightforward as there are crossovers, bi-directional signals and run round facilities. They don't have a can-do approach and even WMT are showing (eventually) what can be done if there is the will!

The Planner

Veteran Member
Yes, you are completely correct! TfW are telling lots of lies, as a shuttle service is fairly straightforward as there are crossovers, bi-directional signals and run round facilities. They don't have a can-do approach and even WMT are showing (eventually) what can be done if there is the will!
Wellington isnt bi-di, but they the can turn round with a shunt.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
And presumably they could reverse on the Donnington branch if necessary?
What TfW might mean is these moves are not on their drivers' route cards, which the public wouldn't understand.

Caaardiff

It would only benefit people between Wellington and Shrewsbury, which would be a small benefit. Offloading passengers at Shrewsbury for onward stations would be by far logistically better where not only is it a manned station, there would be bus co-ordinators and more organised road transport setup.
Hopefully TFW have the sense to use the spare capacity elsewhere on the network rather than just parking the 158s up.

Undiscovered

What TfW might mean is these moves are not on their drivers' route cards, which the public wouldn't understand.
I think the local instruction requires a member of the Rail freight terminal to be present to 'accept' any loco/unit into the sidings, even if they don't actually go into the yard. Outside of scheduled, rare, movements, I'm not sure this is feasible.
And TfW drivers will absolutely have all the shunt moves at this station on their card, it's a known turn back point.

The Planner

Veteran Member
P2 is and is used to terminate short of Shrewsbury and go right time back Up to Birmingham.
No use in this situation though.

I think the local instruction requires a member of the Rail freight terminal to be present to 'accept' any loco/unit into the sidings, even if they don't actually go into the yard. Outside of scheduled, rare, movements, I'm not sure this is feasible.
And TfW drivers will absolutely have all the shunt moves at this station on their card, it's a known turn back point.
You need to telephone the person in charge at the terminal going in and Saltley coming out.

Starmill

Veteran Member
They'd have to run the replacement buses from Shrewsbury anyway to at least Shifnal, even if the train served Wellington. You can't ask people to make two extra changes against plan when one is so easily offered. Likely they'll still run a Shrewsbury - Wolverhampton faster bus.

G_for_Gnome

Who holds TFW accountable for failing to run a partial service if they are able to? Which body examines the legitimacy of the reasons they’ve given to not run anything? They may be legitimate but I see some posters have suggested it may be otherwise.

Traincrew rostering - a crew would be going all the way Shrewsbury to Birmingham International, so Shrewsbury to Wellington and back can be done within those hours? They’d just have a break (or a longer break than usual) at Shrewsbury before their next work - unless there’s something else that I’ve missed?

Infrastructure - Are the bays at Shrewsbury free at the moment? Previous posts suggest it might possible to turn back at Wellington towards Shrewsbury in a number of different ways.

Who asks the question - “are TFW doing all they can or have they given up?”

Who asks the question “is it desirable to run trains to Wellington, as the bus operation would probably need to stay at Shrewsbury anyway?” Is it TFW, and should it be a question they answer themselves?

Caaardiff

Who holds TFW accountable for failing to run a partial service if they are able to? Which body examines the legitimacy of the reasons they’ve given to not run anything? They may be legitimate but I see some posters have suggested it may be otherwise.

Traincrew rostering - a crew would be going all the way Shrewsbury to Birmingham International, so Shrewsbury to Wellington and back can be done within those hours? They’d just have a break (or a longer break than usual) at Shrewsbury before their next work - unless there’s something else that I’ve missed?

Infrastructure - Are the bays at Shrewsbury free at the moment? Previous posts suggest it might possible to turn back at Wellington towards Shrewsbury in a number of different ways.

Who asks the question - “are TFW doing all they can or have they given up?”

Who asks the question “is it desirable to run trains to Wellington, as the bus operation would probably need to stay at Shrewsbury anyway?” Is it TFW, and should it be a question they answer themselves?
Wellington - Shrewsbury by train is 20 mins.
Wellington - Shrewsbury by road is showing 23 mins.

As nice as it would be to run services to/from Wellington, what are the benefits of doing so? Is there that much passenger demand solely between Wellington and Shrewsbury to make it worthwhile?

AlanL

The buses are taking around 30 mins via the new A5 and the train takes 12 mins - capacity bus 52 and a 4 coach 196 around 300 (and more accessible for those with luggage, mobility issues) and there is a very busy 'flow' Wellington-Shrewsbury over 200,000 per year. So TFW could (and should) run a shuttle rail service but basically they cannot be bothered!

DidcotDennis

A side question, if I may. I am travelling from Didcot to Newtown Powys next Thursday. I have advance single tickets, splitting at Banbury, Coventry and Birmingham International. The last leg has a restriction on the ticket for TFW services only. Can I stay on the Cross Country train as far as Wolverhampton and get on the rail replacement bus there, even though I don't have a ticket valid on Cross Country between Birmingham International and Wolverhampton? I don't really want to have to buy a single ticket for this leg of the journey when it is already paid for. I would then presumably get a train from Shrewsbury to Newtown as orignally planned.
Thanks in advance.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
The buses are taking around 30 mins via the new A5 and the train takes 12 mins - capacity bus 52 and a 4 coach 196 around 300 (and more accessible for those with luggage, mobility issues) and there is a very busy 'flow' Wellington-Shrewsbury over 200,000 per year. So TFW could (and should) run a shuttle rail service but basically they cannot be bothered!

A simple question - as there is a bit of spare capacity on TfW and no doubt the signalling staff at Salop - would a simple extension of the Cambrian services , as booked a reversal at Salop and extend to Wellington and reverse there and back to continue booked workings..........

I am sure that "someone" can think of a hundred "performance" reasons why not - but my cadre of retired operational and planning ( ex BR) friends cannot think why not. As the lack of access to the infrastructure is obviously the responsibilty of NR - something should be done accordingly.

Caaardiff

A simple question - as there is a bit of spare capacity on TfW and no doubt the signalling staff at Salop - would a simple extension of the Cambrian services , as booked a reversal at Salop and extend to Wellington and reverse there and back to continue booked workings..........

I am sure that "someone" can think of a hundred "performance" reasons why not - but my cadre of retired operational and planning ( ex BR) friends cannot think why not. As the lack of access to the infrastructure is obviously the responsibilty of NR - something should be done accordingly.
It could well be possible and wouldn't require the unit to sit there for the back working. Units will be sat there for about 2 hours. If it was planned for them to come back West on the next service it would be about a 25 min wait, plenty of time to do the shunt.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
It could well be possible and wouldn't require the unit to sit there for the back working. Units will be sat there for about 2 hours. If it was planned for them to come back West on the next service it would be about a 25 min wait, plenty of time to do the shunt.

Thank you ! - I will get one of my potential letter writers to draft something for Modern Railways - he has a good track record of getting things published ! - these things often wind up people.

Parking up a 158 and hiring buses to shuttle to Wellington is utter nonesense , when the admittedly low numbers from there to Mid Wales would enjoy the one seat journey - but shows concern for what seems to be a decent local flow in the area (Salop - Wellington) , it shows genuine commitment to rail really rather than throwing the towel in too easily. This seems an easy "correction" ....

Wolfie

Established Member
That would be a good idea as a Wolves-Telford shuttle would help passengers (especially with heavy luggage/mobility issues) and a similar shuttle could operate Wellington-Shrewsbury leaving only a very short bus connection which has already got a service bus every 15 minutes! (No 4 which operates Telford-Oakengates-Wellington) especially as this looks to be a long closure.
WMT are advertising ticket acceptance on certain Arriva bus services including the number 4. My experience yesterday suggests that no one has told the Arriva drivers (or they are being bolshy). I tried to use the advertised acceptance from Stafford to Telford and was point blank refused.

An immediate complaint went in to both companies. If acceptance isn't in place WMT shouldn't advertise it. If it is in place then Arriva should ensure that their staff honour it.

On principle l refused to pay Arriva a dime and got a train to Wolverhampton and the rail replacement bus from there. Should l/could l claim delay repay? I went via Stafford originally as WMT had emailed advising that my connection at Rugby was cancelled (l was doing Euston to Wellington on a WMT/TfW ticket).

I was on the all stations stopping bus from Wolvo to Wellington yesterday - leaving at just after 1600 it took pretty much two hours. The traffic was horrendous and taking a full size Mercedes coach to some of the smaller stations was challenging.

Oh, the BBC Midlands news is reporting that this won't be fully resolved until Easter.

Last edited:

dvboy

Established Member
A side question, if I may. I am travelling from Didcot to Newtown Powys next Thursday. I have advance single tickets, splitting at Banbury, Coventry and Birmingham International. The last leg has a restriction on the ticket for TFW services only. Can I stay on the Cross Country train as far as Wolverhampton and get on the rail replacement bus there, even though I don't have a ticket valid on Cross Country between Birmingham International and Wolverhampton? I don't really want to have to buy a single ticket for this leg of the journey when it is already paid for. I would then presumably get a train from Shrewsbury to Newtown as orignally planned.
Thanks in advance.
Yes

Transport for Wales

Trains from Holyhead, Pwllheli and Machynlleth towards Birmingham will terminate at Shrewsbury.

Trains from Birmingham towards Holyhead, Pwllheli and Machynlleth will start at Shrewsbury.

Road transport will be provided between Shrewsbury and Wolverhampton.

Until Sunday 24 March, you may use your ticket on the following services via any reasonable route at no extra cost:

• Avanti West Coast
  • CrossCountry
  • West Midlands Railway