• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Last minute tips ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lewis H

Hi all, I have my DMI with SWR on Tuesday, I’ve been revising pretty hard and from this forum alone I’ve picked up tips here and there but I just wanted to see if anyone had any last minute hints or tips, you never know there maybe something I haven’t covered. I haven’t had a DMI for a trainee driver role before, although I have had an interview for a Shunter position which I was unsuccessful with, and in that interview they was only really interested in asking about me and my experiences, nothing specifically to do with the TOC at all. Is there anyone who has recently had a DMI, successful or otherwise?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Amanda

Um, I'm not sure how useful my post will be as I've not heard back yet from my DMI (which was last week), however the day before I watched this:

The guy who did it tries to flog you his products at the end but I did think there was some useful advice in there that I did use in the interview.

Also, after that I ended up watching Dad Rail. Which is a vlog by a guy who is a train driver. I didn't watch all of them but he has done one on how hard it is to drive a train, and one on lifestyle and shifts. I thought it was interesting anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU8-lkBVfkW0zHVO6t1rG6g

Whether other users have found these useful or not I don't know, and like I said I don't know my outcome yet so this might be terrible advice. :lol:

Also you say they were only interested in knowing about your experiences... Well that is kinda the point of the interview. Expect more of the same! It will be, "tell us about a time when...".
Good luck!

BallastMonkey

I'd definitely make sure to learn as much info on the TOC, it's visions, aims, traction/class,managing director/directors etc

Driver2B

Hi! Good luck with your DMI.

First of all:
* they'll introduce themsleves and the company
* talk through some details about expectations and the training
* establish how much you will be paid at different parts of your training and when it is finished
* ask if you consume illegal substances (if a very short interview is your priority, just answer "yes"!)
* confirm you still live at the same address, discuss how you will get to or from work
* establish the times of work (ie from any hour to any hour on any day) and ask how that would fit into your life-style

Then:
* They will ask you to tell them a little about yourself. This question is a gift if you've prepared well because you can tell them everything you want them to know about you. You can tell them what skills you have (linked to being a train driver) and hopefully evidence these with examples from your previous career. This is your chance to advertise yourself and create a very positive first impression. They say that you should talk for up to 5 minutes on this question, but I couldn't get my answer in under six minutes when rehearsing. However, it was relevant, coherent, evidenced and except for a two sentence summary, not repetitive. At interview, they seemed really impressed! See also:
* They will ask you what a train driver does. Of course, if you've read these forums, you'll be able to talk lots about this!
* Why do you want to be a train driver? Link your answer to the skills you possess (preferably evidenced) which a train driver needs.
* They will ask you what you know about the company.
* They will ask you about previous safety-critical roles and what rules and procedures you follow(ed) in your current/previous jobs.
* They will ask about when you've had to learn new things.

Then:
* They'll ask some MMI-type of questions (competency-based). So prepare for these.

Then:
* some more questions (can't remember what, but they get easier)

At the end, they'll ask you if you have any questions for them - it's a great opportunity for you to show passion for the role. However, beware that they tell you a lot of information at the start so think of enough questions that they'll not going to answer them for you then!

Hope this helps!

Good luck!

Kendo

Try and relate all your skills and experiences to the job of being a train driver give examples. Sell yourself by being enthusiastic, why the job excites you? why the training excites you? Above all be yourself and be confident believe what you're saying.

Lewis H

Thank you all for your replies, you’ve been most helpful, I think (more hope) I have everything covered, I was pretty chilled out but as it’s getting closer, slightly more nervous!

Lewis H

Um, I'm not sure how useful my post will be as I've not heard back yet from my DMI (which was last week), however the day before I watched this:

The guy who did it tries to flog you his products at the end but I did think there was some useful advice in there that I did use in the interview.

Also, after that I ended up watching Dad Rail. Which is a vlog by a guy who is a train driver. I didn't watch all of them but he has done one on how hard it is to drive a train, and one on lifestyle and shifts. I thought it was interesting anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU8-lkBVfkW0zHVO6t1rG6g

Whether other users have found these useful or not I don't know, and like I said I don't know my outcome yet so this might be terrible advice. :lol:

Also you say they were only interested in knowing about your experiences... Well that is kinda the point of the interview. Expect more of the same! It will be, "tell us about a time when...".
Good luck!

Thanks for the advice, what TOC was your interview with? I hope you hear some good news soon

ComUtoR

Established Member
Hi all, I have my DMI with SWR on Tuesday, I’ve been revising pretty hard and from this forum alone I’ve picked up tips here and there but I just wanted to see if anyone had any last minute hints or tips, you never know there maybe something I haven’t covered.

Get a good nights sleep. Prepare your outfit, polish your shoes, plan your journey etc etc. the night before.
Have a decent breakfast. (avoid caffeine)
Get to the interview early and ensure you know where you are going and follow any joining instructions.

Greet the panel warmly and interact with them.
Have your list of questions fully prepared beforehand. Make them personal, rather than generic. Keep them open ended.
Be yourself and let your personality come through.
Sound enthusiastic.
Talk about your future at the company, career goals etc.

I haven’t had a DMI for a trainee driver role before, although I have had an interview for a Shunter position which I was unsuccessful with, and in that interview they was only really interested in asking about me and my experiences,

Did you get feedback and have you acted on it ? Was this also for SWR ?

Arvz

Hi! Good luck with your DMI.

First of all:
* they'll introduce themsleves and the company
* talk through some details about expectations and the training
* establish how much you will be paid at different parts of your training and when it is finished
* ask if you consume illegal substances (if a very short interview is your priority, just answer "yes"!)
* confirm you still live at the same address, discuss how you will get to or from work
* establish the times of work (ie from any hour to any hour on any day) and ask how that would fit into your life-style

Then:
* They will ask you to tell them a little about yourself. This question is a gift if you've prepared well because you can tell them everything you want them to know about you. You can tell them what skills you have (linked to being a train driver) and hopefully evidence these with examples from your previous career. This is your chance to advertise yourself and create a very positive first impression. They say that you should talk for up to 5 minutes on this question, but I couldn't get my answer in under six minutes when rehearsing. However, it was relevant, coherent, evidenced and except for a two sentence summary, not repetitive. At interview, they seemed really impressed! See also:
* They will ask you what a train driver does. Of course, if you've read these forums, you'll be able to talk lots about this!
* Why do you want to be a train driver? Link your answer to the skills you possess (preferably evidenced) which a train driver needs.
* They will ask you what you know about the company.
* They will ask you about previous safety-critical roles and what rules and procedures you follow(ed) in your current/previous jobs.
* They will ask about when you've had to learn new things.

Then:
* They'll ask some MMI-type of questions (competency-based). So prepare for these.

Then:
* some more questions (can't remember what, but they get easier)

At the end, they'll ask you if you have any questions for them - it's a great opportunity for you to show passion for the role. However, beware that they tell you a lot of information at the start so think of enough questions that they'll not going to answer them for you then!

Hope this helps!

Good luck!
Very useful. I have a DMI in just over a week.

Lewis H

Get a good nights sleep. Prepare your outfit, polish your shoes, plan your journey etc etc. the night before.
Have a decent breakfast. (avoid caffeine)
Get to the interview early and ensure you know where you are going and follow any joining instructions.

Greet the panel warmly and interact with them.
Have your list of questions fully prepared beforehand. Make them personal, rather than generic. Keep them open ended.
Be yourself and let your personality come through.
Sound enthusiastic.
Talk about your future at the company, career goals etc.

Did you get feedback and have you acted on it ? Was this also for SWR ?

I have requested feedback multiple times to no joy, despite in the rejection email, it stated I can request interview feedback. The TOC for that was Southeastern.

sw1ller

Established Member
Good advice given. I just want to reinforce it. On my interview I made sure I had two depot specific questions to ask back, nothing to do with holidays or pay, forget that. Maybe have a trip to the depot you’re applying for and ask staff if there’s any future projects in the pipeline. They will want to know what kinds of research you’ve been doing about the role. Understand what a day is like for a driver, talk about preparation for the shift too (good sleep the night before etc) have scenario based examples ready just in case. I was asked a couple, nothing like the MMI interview at the end of testing though. Be as smart as you can, shine your shoes, they WILL notice. Customer service is now very important, but never as important as safety. Listen THEN speak. Never talk over them. Understand how long and intense the training will be and understand it’s not a ‘turn up and pass’ type of course. People fail and lose their job quite often. 1 person from our last 2 courses has done this. Mention unsociable hours and don’t leave them in any doubt that you’ll be fine with it. It’s generally the hardest part of the job. Good luck.

RailRoadRover

Hi all, I have my DMI with SWR on Tuesday, I’ve been revising pretty hard and from this forum alone I’ve picked up tips here and there but I just wanted to see if anyone had any last minute hints or tips, you never know there maybe something I haven’t covered. I haven’t had a DMI for a trainee driver role before, although I have had an interview for a Shunter position which I was unsuccessful with, and in that interview they was only really interested in asking about me and my experiences, nothing specifically to do with the TOC at all. Is there anyone who has recently had a DMI, successful or otherwise?

How did your DMI go?

Lewis H

How did your DMI go?

Well I came out at 13.15, got a phone call about 10 minutes ago saying that I passed, so i would say pretty well! They said they have a cancellation for MMI on Thursday, not a lot of prep time but I’m sure I’ll be fine ‍♂️

Firestarter

Well I came out at 13.15, got a phone call about 10 minutes ago saying that I passed, so i would say pretty well! They said they have a cancellation for MMI on Thursday, not a lot of prep time but I’m sure I’ll be fine ‍♂️
Oh so SWR do DMI before the MMI? Did you have to answer the six questions for the MMI or is that done on the day?

train_lover

Was it as bad as you thought it was going to be?

Lewis H

It wasn’t bad at all, I think it was fairly simple because I was prepared, I knew I had the answers and evidence they was looking for. In regards to the MMI, I have no clue, currently searching this forum for hints and tips as I haven’t got much prep time

Fiesta89

Nice one Lewis.. I passed an MMI with DB, found that ok as you have chance to think of your responses and write them down for interviewer prior to going in. Hoping to get a DMI with GWR in future. Did SWR ask about first group or just the franchise SWR? Any tips for what to prepare would be greatly appreciated!

Lewis H

Nice one Lewis.. I passed an MMI with DB, found that ok as you have chance to think of your responses and write them down for interviewer prior to going in. Hoping to get a DMI with GWR in future. Did SWR ask about first group or just the franchise SWR? Any tips for what to prepare would be greatly appreciated!

It was very brief, quite near the beginning of the interview and they asked what I knew about SWR, but I encompassed first group within my answer, it didn’t seem as if they was massively interested in my knowledge on the TOC, they just want to know you’ve taken to the time to learn because you’re going into a training role obviously and need the capacity to be able to take on information! Best of luck to you!

RailRoadRover

Congratulations mate, there's plenty of MMI information on these forums, you'll be absolutely fine!

Lewis H

Congratulations mate, there's plenty of MMI information on these forums, you'll be absolutely fine!

From what I’ve seen on the forums, it’s the same questions that were asked in the DMI anyway, the only difference being I get to write my answer, so theoretically it should be much easier! We shall see.

RailRoadRover

From what I’ve seen on the forums, it’s the same questions that were asked in the DMI anyway, the only difference being I get to write my answer, so theoretically it should be much easier! We shall see.

Yes you have to write a short answer to the 6 questions if I remember rightly and then you get asked and probed about your answers during the interview

Well done on passing the DMI - Can I ask what depot this was for and when you applied for the job?

Lewis H

Well done on passing the DMI - Can I ask what depot this was for and when you applied for the job?

Waterloo and about mid last year, had my assessments in August, was offered a DMI in November for the same vacancy but I couldn’t make it, really didn’t expect to hear from them again to be honest!

Waterloo and about mid last year, had my assessments in August, was offered a DMI in November for the same vacancy but I couldn’t make it, really didn’t expect to hear from them again to be honest!

Ah cheers for the info. Had my assessments for Basingstoke at the end of Feb last year, but am still waiting for a DMI. I'm beginning to think I may not hear from them again!

Lewis H

After a successful DMI, I found out today I was also successful in my MMI and have been given a conditional offer pending medical, thanks for all the advice and messages, been really helpful!

Val3ntine

After a successful DMI, I found out today I was also successful in my MMI and have been given a conditional offer pending medical, thanks for all the advice and messages, been really helpful!

Well done mate! Can’t wait to welcome you to the team

Status
Not open for further replies.