• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Last Stranraer sleeper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Argosy

Could anyone with an old BR timetable advise when the Stranraer sleeper service ended.

Can't recall if it was May 1990 or May 1991.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Argosy

According to Herald Scotland, it ceased on 14th May 1990.

Thanks AB.

Do you have a link to the Herald for that info?

I believe at that date the two(?) carriages went to/from Glasgow where it was attached to the Glasgow sleeper, is that correct?

Established Member
I'm not sure about Stranraer sleeper routeing - I thought it went via Mossblown not Glasgow - but I remember using the Carlisle attachment on the Glasgow to Euston sleeper around 1990.

You could get the last local train of the day from Dumfries and then check in to the sleeper in a bay platform at Carlisle around 11pm. Sleep was cruelly disturbed an hour or so later when you were violently propelled across the station and rammed into the rear of the Glasgow to Euston train. Today's Caledonian Sleeper shunts are timid by comparison.

I can't remember if it worked in the same way in reverse. I also recall using the Edinburgh to Plymouth sleeper calling at Carlisle late in the evening, so there were plenty of night trains serving the area at the time.

Argosy

I'm not sure about Stranraer sleeper routeing - I thought it went via Mossblown not Glasgow - but I remember using the Carlisle attachment on the Glasgow to Euston sleeper around 1990.

You could get the last local train of the day from Dumfries and then check in to the sleeper in a bay platform at Carlisle around 11pm. Sleep was cruelly disturbed an hour or so later when you were violently propelled across the station and rammed into the rear of the Glasgow to Euston train. Today's Caledonian Sleeper shunts are timid by comparison.

I can't remember if it worked in the same way in reverse. I also recall using the Edinburgh to Plymouth sleeper calling at Carlisle late in the evening, so there were plenty of night trains serving the area at the time.

The history of the Paddy as it was known, is this.

The Stranraer Boat Train to London started from London Euston in the 1920s I believe. It was the 10pm from Stranraer and went via Galloway to Dumfries, then WCML to London.

After June 1965 when the Port Road was closed it went Stranraer - Ayr - Mauchline - Dumfries then to London.

When the curve was closed in 1976 between Hawkhill and Blackhouse Jn in Ayr (thus preventing use of the Falkland Jn - Mauchline section) it was re-routed via Kilmarnock and at the end via Glasgow. (Source CJ Fryer Girvan & Portpatrick Jn Railway)

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Thanks AB.

Do you have a link to the Herald for that info?

I believe at that date the two(?) carriages went to/from Glasgow where it was attached to the Glasgow sleeper, is that correct?

Sorry, not having much success on my iPad :oops:

I just googled last sleeper to Stranraer heraldscotland and found it straight off.

D6975

Established Member
I last did the Stranraer sleeper in December 88.
At that time a long rake ran up to Glasgow Central, where it was split into portions for Stranraer, Fort Bill and Inverness (IS also received a full length train too)
The Stranraer portion went straight down via Ayr with a 47.
The Fort Bill was a 37/4 via Rutherglen chord and Central LL.
The Inverness went out towards Coatbridge/Mossend area then turned North up through Cumbernauld to Stirling etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.