Last train from Manchester to North Wales

Discussion in 'Trip Planning & Reports' started by Ry88, 13 Feb 2018.

1. Ry88

Ry88 New Member

Can anyone clear this up for me?

Me and a a few friends travel from Flint and Prestatyn to Manchester frequently for gigs but have never managed to get a train back as the last bookable one is usually 23:57, 3 minutes before gigs tend to finish. We are going again this sunday 18th February.

However someone has told me that the later train that arrives in Chester at 00:38 is the the same train that departs for North Wales at 00:38 and you actually have the option to stay on it but nobody seems to know for sure.

Hopefully that makes sense and hopefully someone here knows more than the staff at Flint!

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

4. Kite159

Kite159 Established Member

Agreed about it being a rubbish connection, although I guess the timing of that Holyhead service is fixed due to the ferry connection at Holyhead itself

5. Ry88

Ry88 New Member

Thanks. Looks like it's still overnights or sober gigs then in the future lol

6. 1D53

1D53 Established Member

It normally does connect, however the service from Manchester is diverted via Altrincham on this date with the resulting extra journey time.

7. Bevan Price

Bevan Price Established Member

The train (23:25 Manchester - Chester , SuO) is normally due Chester at 23:24, with a +14 minute connection onto the Holyhead service. Next Sunday night/Monday morning, it appears to be diverted via Northwich due to engineering work and they do not seem to have adjusted the connection to compensate for the diversion. .

8. Kite159

Fair enough

Funny how ATW are diverting via Altrincham on the Sunday but on Saturday it appears not. Hope they have told Northern to put on extra coaches for their Chester - Manchester services

9. Bletchleyite

Ah, I see. Is there a reason it couldn't run 5 minutes earlier from Manchester to avoid breaking the connection?

10. Ry88

Ry88 New Member

So what I was told could be correct and it's usually possible to stay on the same train all the way?

11. Bletchleyite

No. Took me a while to find an undisrupted Sunday (the Holyhead is a bus to the Junction for all of March and April, it appears), but it appears it is normally a train from Birmingham that forms that service.

12. Ry88

Ry88 New Member

Is this the same on the other days of the week? We have never managed to get a train back later than 11pm on any day which I think is pretty shocking

13. PHILIPE

PHILIPE Established Member

The last train from Manchester Picc to Chester is booked via Altrincham and not diverted every night (Ex Saturdays) for route retention purposes, similarly the first one in the morning in the opposite direction (M-S)

14. PHILIPE

PHILIPE Established Member

Probably pathing issues, there's not much scope between Stockport and Manchester.

15. Kite159

Makes sense that

Why do I picture Northern putting out a single 142 on a Mid-Cheshire service which will end up being F&S on departure from Chester [assuming the only buses ATW lay on will go round the houses meaning any sensible passengers for Manchester will use the train] meaning passengers from the likes of Northwich will moan.