• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Last train to be cancelled, no replacement bus scheduled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llandudno

Established Member
There is engineering work on the North Wales Coast this coming Saturday, 26 October.

A skeleton train service is operating augmented by buses between Chester and Rhyl. Presumably the few trains that are running are using a single line in both directions?

The National Rail app, shows the revised train and rail replacement buses, but indicates that the last train from Chester Welshbound is 2028, well, actually it is a bus, the last train is 1916.

Normal last trains on a Saturday are 2126 and 2240. These trains are not shown, but more worryingly there are no replacement buses shown either! Some people may be in for a nasty shock when they turn up for the 2240 train, which often has 150+ passengers on! Will TfW provide taxis?

I tweeted TfW at lunchtime today, but they have failed to answer my question!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RightAwayGuy

If it is planned engineering works that have been advertised in advance then the revised service is the service. So if the 2028 gets cancelled then it's replacement transport galore, however no replacement will be provided for the 2126 and 2240 as these were not scheduled to run in the revised timetable. Is my understanding anyway :p

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
If it is planned engineering works that have been advertised in advance then the revised service is the service. So if the 2028 gets cancelled then it's replacement transport galore, however no replacement will be provided for the 2126 and 2240 as these were not scheduled to run in the revised timetable. Is my understanding anyway :p

I think you’ll find that’s not correct. Franchise operators are obliged to make ‘best endeavours’ to minimise the impact of engineering closures on passengers. Failing to provide a bus service is simple cost-cutting, nothing else. The last service in particular is an obligation to be honoured, one way or another.

It may be that the revised timetable has not been properly uploaded by Network Rail. I suggest contacting TfW.

Llandudno

Established Member
The revised timetable was only published last week.

I don’t think you should have to check every few days to see if the last trains (Or replacement buses) of the day have been brought forward by over two hours!

Llandudno

Established Member
I think you’ll find that’s not correct. Franchise operators are obliged to make ‘best endeavours’ to minimise the impact of engineering closures on passengers. Failing to provide a bus service is simple cost-cutting, nothing else. The last service in particular is an obligation to be honoured, one way or another.

It may be that the revised timetable has not been properly uploaded by Network Rail. I suggest contacting TfW.
I suspect sourcing a dozen or so taxis on a Saturday night plus delay repay will cost an awful lot more than hiring a couple of coaches in advance.

And as for customer goodwill, well .... it is TfW after all!

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
There is engineering work on the North Wales Coast this coming Saturday, 26 October.

A skeleton train service is operating augmented by buses between Chester and Rhyl. Presumably the few trains that are running are using a single line in both directions?

The National Rail app, shows the revised train and rail replacement buses, but indicates that the last train from Chester Welshbound is 2028, well, actually it is a bus, the last train is 1916.

Normal last trains on a Saturday are 2126 and 2240. These trains are not shown, but more worryingly there are no replacement buses shown either! Some people may be in for a nasty shock when they turn up for the 2240 train, which often has 150+ passengers on! Will TfW provide taxis?

I tweeted TfW at lunchtime today, but they have failed to answer my question!

There is a replacement bus from Chester leaving at 21.40 so later than the 21.26 train but earlier than the last service of 22.40.

If anyone was travelling as far as Holyhead it is a world of pain, it is a bus from Chester to Rhyl (1hr 22 min ) instead of about 30 mins, then train from Rhyl to Llandudno Junction , then another RRB from LLJ to Holyhead finally arriving at Holyhead at 00.48 some 3 hours after leaving Chester!!

Nobody needs that sort of Journey on a Saturday night...…

I thought the rules was that if you pre booked on a service then they have to provide it otherwise....

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I have examined this and can now see the reasoning behind it. Due to the line closure between Chester and Rhyl, it is necessary for bustitution from Chester in order to connect with 1W98 at Rhyl at it's normal time but as the bus journey is slower than the train journey, the bus has to leave earlier at 2140. If it had been a train rather than a bus retimed earlier I don't think anybody would have batted an eyelid and is a common scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.