• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Latest Imperial Covid study

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtuk

I was going to post this in the good news thread, but think it's worthy enough of its own thread:

What they're saying is that based on 100,000 tests on adults, they're extrapolating that over 3 million people have shown up with Covid antibodies. This is very good news for a few reasons:

a) We can put to bed a lot of the completely ridiculous high IFR rate fears. (Edited out some bad maths)
b) This looks to be just based on antibodies. It doesn't seemingly take into account anyone with t-cell based protection, which is another large proportion of the country
c) This is looking at adults - not having read through the paper in full, it's unclear as to whether they're saying that the numbers they project are adults, but is based off all age groups. Ideally it wouldn't be, given children seem to be more or less invincible from this

This has pretty huge implications in terms of where we stand in terms of herd immunity (and this is clearly pointing more towards it than what the pessimists thought, particularly in areas that were harder hit, i.e. London), and what future strategy should be. It's just a case now of the Government listening to Imperial when they're saying we've all not died, rather than we're all going to die

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Yew

Established Member
For context, I believe that studies in Sweden have shown a 2:1 ratio of T-cell to antibody immunity. Which (speculation time) would put London at around 45% immunity. It's not all the way there, but it's a long way to the 66% figure.

Based on this, I'd imagine that London would theoretically be able to open up more.

Status
Not open for further replies.