• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Latvia rolling stock replacement

SandsofEss

I’m keen to ride in a DR1A DMU, one with the original cab ends, not the more recent remodel.

Wikipedia suggests Latvia is the last easy-to-visit country still running these in regular service.

Do we have any experts in Latvian railways on the forum? I’d like to know if there are imminent plans to scrap the remaining DR1As, or if I have a little time to arrange a trip.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
The DMUs will continue to be around for a while, as the Škoda fleet is only around to replace some of the EMUs on the shorter routes. As a result, I'd recommend a trip on an ER2 if you're able, as well!

You'll find the DR1As on the majority of services to Sigulda/Valmeira/Valga and Daugavpils.

They go to Zilupe, Liepaja and other less-served places too, but your best bet is a return trip to somewhere like Sigulda if you simply want to tick them off.

The easiest way to buy tickets is the "Vilciens" app. It's very simple to use and will do eTickets - prices all very low by UK standards. You'll be able to pick out the modernised "long-distance" units as the app won't sell tickets for them - there's a small supplement which it doesn't seem to be able to handle.

As trains tend to sit around for a while in Rīga, you'd have enough time to go up to the platforms, see what takes your fancy then buy a ticket in the app.

SandsofEss

Thank you for such a comprehensive reply. Everything I need to plan a trip, and the reassurance that I don't need to rush into it.

railfan99

Established Member
You'll find the DR1As on the majority of services to Sigulda/Valmeira/Valga and Daugavpils.

They go to Zilupe, Liepaja and other less-served places too, but your best bet is a return trip to somewhere like Sigulda if you simply want to tick them off.

Thank you also for alerting me to Sigulda that with its partly reconstructed castle looks an interesting place to visit. Bonus points if opne can travel on an older railcar ("unit").

Class73ED

I have no experience of the DR1A DMU's and I don't know what the future holds in store for them so I can't really help you. I would guess that the Latvian Railways will want to replace them as soon as they can but I don't think any initial tendering processes have started whereas those for the new Skoda trains have been around for a few years and I believe that due to problems in how they were issued, the tenders had to be reissued. So I would think that they'll be around for some time yet. However, I have travelled on the class ER2 EMU's from Riga to Jurmala in 1995. These are very "clunky" Soviet era EMU's and well worth a trip if you have the opportunity. I once worked with a Russian engineer who played a leading role in the design and production of these trains which made the trip more interesting. Riga itself is a fascinating old Hanseatic city with a rich, but at times very painful, history. In fact. the whole country is fascinating and beautiful, again with a very painful history at times,

Digressing, Jurmala is also well worth a visit with a long curved beautiful sandy beach backed by pine forests, tastefully and sympathetically dotted with villas, sanatoria, hotels, restaurants and the like.

Meanwhile, Latvian Railways seem to have their hands full with teething problems with the new Skoda 16ev electric trains for Riga suburban services, such that Skoda are having to send extra staff to deal with them. Judging by reports, and I must emphasise that I am reading between the lines here, the problems may largely be down to software issues which may be connected with power collection from the overhead line (3.3kV). Below is link to Public Broadcasting of Latvia website reporting the problems.

Last edited: