• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Layout Planning Tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gizmogle

Established Member
Is there anything (on the internet or for purchase) you can use to easily plan your track layout?
I'm aware of the little red plastic track things you can get, but is there anything else? Something free would be nice :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gizmogle

Established Member
Yeah, my dad just found that. He can't figure it out at all lol

Established Member
I was guan say Hornby Virtual Railway, but its not all that good, ive got a copy, u can have a play when i come up??

Gizmogle

Established Member
Hmmm....can you copy it for me? We used to have it, I don't remember it being any good...but I'll give it a go.

After my dad complaining about not being able to use winrail, I gave it a go...installed the track and it was sorted :lol: Muppet

Established Member
Hmmm....can you copy it for me? We used to have it, I don't remember it being any good...but I'll give it a go.

After my dad complaining about not being able to use winrail, I gave it a go...installed the track and it was sorted :lol: Muppet

Ill have a go, if uve got winrail workng then thats probably better, HVR is very basic!

tramboy

I've always used the Hornby red plastic track planners for OO...and sometimes never used them, just put things down and seen what I can come up with!

N is also guesswork...at the moment without a permanent layout it's more fun to get a different thing every time and then see how you might power it!

Cheers

Dave

Craig

Established Member
Dunno if it's any good for planning layouts, but I quite like the old version of Rail3D. It's fairly basic compared to the likes of MSTS and BVE, but it's good for modelling big systems with complicated movements. It's quite easy to get carried away though, one of my layouts models most of the railways around Glasgow :lol:

Attachments

• glasgow.jpg
    glasgow.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 23

Beaker

Established Member
i would of thought of thinking of an idea takes the same tie if you do it using a computer or paper,
and you can have a paper template over the baseboard

Gizmogle

Established Member
You can make mistakes too easily on paper. WinRail for example (which I'm using at the moment) shows the track numbers and fits all the track together so you know it's all going to fit together when you come to do it with the real track.
If you do it on paper then the image of your layout can easily become distorted. Measurements can be miscalulated and everything just goes to s**t :p

Established Member
You can make mistakes too easily on paper. WinRail for example (which I'm using at the moment) shows the track numbers and fits all the track together so you know it's all going to fit together when you come to do it with the real track.
If you do it on paper then the image of your layout can easily become distorted. Measurements can be miscalulated and everything just goes to s**t :p

I found that with my new layout, have since used HVR to and done it in sections and put it in paint and it all fit together!

Can we see the final plan onces youve finished?

Nathan

I found that with my new layout, have since used HVR to and done it in sections and put it in paint and it all fit together!

Can we see the final plan onces youve finished?

So where are your plans then? All i've seen is paper too :lol: I did my plans on HVR.

Craig

Established Member
Hmm, you could probably do something like that with AutoCAD. You'd just need to draw some blocks for the various bits of track, then join them all together. I might have a play next time I get a spare 5 minutes at work :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.