• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LBSCR open access proposal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Townsend Hook

Apologies if there is a thread already discussing this, but I couldn't find one.

My attention was drawn to the following on Faceballs today:
www.lbscr.co.uk
Seems to be an open access proposal to essentially duplicate some of Southern's longer distance services, plus some local routes. Rumour on the 'UK HST' faceballs group suggests they're after eight HST sets. Does anyone know any more about this proposal, whether it is actually serious or just the work of some fantasist?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Never heard of this before but the website reads like the work of an enthusiast and not a professional. Several grammatical errors, plus the idea of getting hold of HSTs is fanciful.

442s on the other hand...!

Tio Terry

Redundant HST's aren't going anywhere unless they are converted to have their toilets using catch tanks. It's no longer acceptable to dump toilet waste on the tracks.

greaterwest

Established Member
lbscr.co.uk said:
The full list of stations intended to be served is Chichester, Bognor Regis, Barnham, Ford, Littlehampton, Angmering, Goring By Sea, Worthing, Shoreham By Sea, Portslade, Hove, Brighton, Arundel, Pulborough, Billingshurst, Horsham, Crawley, Eastbourne, Hampden Park, Polegate, Newhaven Marine, Newhaven Town, Lewes, Cooksbridge, Plumpton, Falmer, Brighton, Wivelsfield, Haywards Heath, Gatwick Airport, East Croydon, London Victoria, London Bridge and a peak service to and from Seaford.

Do they mean Newhaven Harbour, rather than Newhaven Marine?

All Line Rover

Established Member
For the Brighton Main Line, which is hardly one of England's more pleasant rail routes, I favour "a quiet zone, free from as much noise as possible", so this open access proposal gets my full support. :D

I'd be content for this to mean that there is no first class accommodation (which on the Brighton Main Line would hardly be necessary if seats were reservable!). Better to segregate according to passenger preferences than according to whether a passenger is willing to pay double for the same seat with an antimacassar attached (and still not necessarily experience a pleasant journey).

Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
A shuttle service running Arundel to Littlehampton only? That's going to be popular?

xc170

Can't help but notice a slight (huge) contradiction on the "Our Services" page...

We intend on operating a number of service opportunities not provided by current service operators.

Followed by...

Our main services will operate between London and Brighton

Nope, can't think of anyone who currently provides a service between London and Brighton...

a_c_skinner

Established Member
They are obviously planning to scatter extra trains into the existing services in the way superfluous apostrophes inhabit their web site. This is what I thought franchising meant, real competition between operators, but that seems to be the one thing open access is rarely allowed to do.

pdeaves

Established Member
Many, many moons ago, the then FGW was going through a rough patch. Borne out of frustration, some businessman proposed running his own trains between Pewsey and Paddington. The proposal got as far as interviews on the radio (I was on as the 'opposition', but really I just wanted him to be aware of regulatory issues and getting a worthwhile path in the timetable), then fizzled out.

I wonder if this scheme is comparable and will disappear when the Southern issues are fully sorted.

Suraggu

The website is powered by go daddy, yes that's the go to website are that all TOC and open access companies use.... This is definitely a pipe dream froth.

Welshman

Established Member
I recognise the Arriva bus on Westminster Bridge, but the introduction of a tramway network in Brighton seems to have passed me by.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think yorkie probably has the right of it. This website is almost certainly a demonstration for some sort of school/college project rather than a real proposal.

Perhaps, therefore, we could reign back on the sneering? ;)

trainmania100

Established Member
It may be hard to believe, but this is a legitimate company. I am lead to belive that they are a travel agent based in west sussex, they are in the process of sourcing a TOC that can run their services. It was initially a plan to help commuters during the times of southern strikes and irregular services. I can no longer see a need for this but as far as I am aware they are still persuing this. They have a facebook page, for which they reply regularly to messages.

Deepgreen

Established Member
It's not all that much more illiterate than, say, Southern's, output at frequent intervals! However, it is a very amateurish-looking production; for example the random and low quality London bus and continental tram photos!

Possibly a school/college project, or a vehicle for an 'open access' rant!

Townsend Hook

Following the link to their Facebook page definitely makes me think this is an enthusiast's bright idea rather than a school/college project.

trainmania100

Established Member
Not quite sure how itll fit in to the existing timetable, which is already very tight
On a positive note however, it would be great to see some loco hauled action in the south east similar to norwich
I dont mind supporting this project but I cant see why its needed in the busier areas. I can understand the limited services at cooksbridge but no idea why their doing a brighton to london

Last edited:

Clip

Established Member
I think yorkie probably has the right of it. This website is almost certainly a demonstration for some sort of school/college project rather than a real proposal.

Its no worse than the BML2 website either is that a school project? :lol:

DarloRich

Veteran Member

but i like sneering if not downright calling out! Kids today, dont know they are born, all fields round here when i was lad. Conscription will learn em etc etc.

( i think you are correct on it being a school project)

infobleep

Veteran Member
No space for it. Even if it would be nice.

I once did an A level geography project in 1995/96 on whether West Hoathly should have it station reopened. This being on the Bluebell Railway, which is heritage. There were no plans so it was hypertheical. I read in the last few years one aspirations of the Bluebell Railway was to reopen West Hoathly station!

Last edited:

Deepgreen

Established Member
No space for it. Even if it would be nice.

I once did an A level geography project in 1995/96 on whether West Hoathly should have it station reopened. This being on the Bluebell Railway, which is heritage. There were no plans so it was hypertheical. I read in the last few years one aspersions of the Bluebell Railway was to reopen West Hoathly station!

Casting them?

Status
Not open for further replies.