• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lea Valley Line (Tottenham Branch)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel

Established Member
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone had any signalling diagrams or could talk me through the signals on the Tottenham Hale branch of the West Anglian line?

Getting a bit confused at Brimsdown at the moment, with the out of use sidings and the in use crossover.

Thanks,
Daniel.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GeoffM

What do you mean by "talk through"? I might be able to help, just depends on what you want, or what you want it for!

Geoff M.

Daniel

Established Member
By talk though I mean just generally explain the positioning without any diagrams.

I basically would like to know what types of signals are where along the branch if that makes sense :lol:

For example, I'm not sure what signals are there for the crossovers at Brimsdown - ground frame signals etc.

Any information provided would be greatly appreciated and used in a simulation :)

GeoffM

I had some diagrams which were "pre-release" so the signal numbers or placement I refer to may not be exactly what is in place right now.

Coming from London, 4-aspect signal L1009 protects the junction towards South Totty. Then the next signal is L1011, with its overlap across the facing crossover. This crossover is, I believe, ground frame only and unsignalled. That is, the points are detected normal for proving the "straight on" routes but there are no signalled moves. Presumably the bloke at the GF will give hand/flag signals.

Then there is a trailing crossover. At the London end of the down platform is signal L1016, a 3-aspect. This allows signalled moves back towards London.

At the country end of the down platform is the next 4-aspect signal, L1015.

In the up direction, L1014 sits on the up end of the up platform (4-aspect). The overlap for this goes through the trailing crossover but not the GF facing crossover. This reads all the way through the South Totty junction, to L1010.

Somewhere roughly parallel to L1011 is a ground shunt signal (L5305), reading across the GF trailing points and signalled facing points, allowing an up train to reverse into the down platform only.

Is that the kind of thing you were after?

Geoff M.

Daniel

Established Member
That's excellent :D

I don't need to signal numbers, so I don't mind if it's not accurate - all I need is which type of signal is (roughly) where :)

Thanks again, Geoff.

Daniel.

O L Leigh

Established Member
The Lee Valley line is all 4 aspect colour light signalling in both directions.

The crossovers at Brimsdown are operated from a groundframe and for emergency purposes only. Therefore, there are no controlling signals. The siding you mention is out of use and no longer connected to the running line.

There is also a crossover London end of Tottenham Hale that allows for trains to be turned back in either direction. 'Up' trains are signalled straight out of the platform as far as the relevant "Car Stop" board. There is then a ground position light signal to control the train back over the crossover into the 'down' platform. Trains on the 'down' line can also be routed back towards London by a main aspect signal at the London end of the platform.

May I ask what you need this for?

one TN

O L Leigh

Established Member
Oh right.

*Googles "Kuju Rail Sim" and looks at Coxster's website*

Hmm. Is that supposed to be better, worse or about the same as BVE?

Any idea from precisely what route Daniel is taking? It's just that the Lee Valley is my core route.

one TN

Status
Not open for further replies.