• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Least popular Sleeper destinations

Ashley Hill

Established Member
I’ve seen people getting off at Hayle before from the sleeper coaches, and I’ve done it once myself, too. I don’t think it’s going to be as rare as somewhere like Carstairs or Ardlui.
Hayle does occasionally receive passengers from the sleepers but it’s certainly not a daily occurrence. Lostwithiel seldom has any passengers and if anyone does come out of from the berths then they have to go to the front coach to alight.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

merry

Yes, I remember someone joining the seated coach at Carlisle.
I may have been on a sleeper with the most (temporarily) alighting at Carlisle in August 1990. At least 120 people.
There is a story behind this: a smouldering fire on one of the seating coaches (safely extinguished) meant all seated passengers had to alight at Carlisle. As seating was full to the gunnels that Saturday night, some 2am shunting ensued: a coach was "borrowed" from the Sunday morning Bournemouth stock to replace the damaged one (leaving the Bournemouth with only 5 coaches) before we all reboarded. Couldn't do that these days!
There was even apology that the crew/station staff were not allowed to open the buffet, as it was now privately operated. Nice attitude: they thought to try to find us some comfort/drinks, even if it was no longer possible.

gomango

Do you mean 'fewest total passengers' or 'fewest Sleeper passengers'?

I've used Watford Junction for the Caledonian Sleeper three times (all post-pandemic, when the northbound Highlander stopped calling) and I don't remember seeing anybody else getting on or off there.

For Lostwithiel and Falkirk it might be no passengers at all though - I don't know.
As a Falkirk local I can confirm that a few people get on everyday, it's not completely empty. However some people like me just get a Scotrail service to Edinburgh or Glasgow and board the sleeper from there.

chuff chuff

As a Falkirk local I can confirm that a few people get on everyday, it's not completely empty. However some people like me just get a Scotrail service to Edinburgh or Glasgow and board the sleeper from there.
It's been many years since I worked the sleepers and can remember Falkirk Grahamston being a booked stop on the South bound service but I dont recall it on the north bound.If my memory is correct seems a little strange.

route101

Established Member
Dumbarton and Dalmuir are close to Glasgow, I wonder how well they are used.

paul1609

Established Member
I regularly used the sleeper until I retired from the navy 5 years ago. In like 30 years I never saw anybody else get on/off at Garelochead include when I joined the northbound service there for a winter day walk. Id use Dalmuir very occasionally when my ship was in dry dock south of the Clyde and only ever saw train crew guards changing there. Theres sometimes a couple of customers joining the southbound at helensburgh/ Dumbatopn but Ive never see anyone alighting there from the northbound. Ive very occasionally used the Aberdeen section to go to Inverkeithing (for Rosyth) but never seen anyone else alight. In fact the last time I tried to alight there the train missed the platform and I had to climb down on the ballast and walk up the platform ramp which probably isnt possible anymore.

chuff chuff

In fact the last time I tried to alight there the train missed the platform and I had to climb down on the ballast and walk up the platform ramp which probably isnt possible anymore.
Many years ago as a secondman whilst enjoying a 'shot' the driver told me to run off the first two coaches off the platform,not my place to argue.However on looking back I could see an open door on the second coach and a suitcase falling to the ballast followed by it's owner shouting something.

JamieL

Dumbarton and Dalmuir are close to Glasgow, I wonder how well they are used.
I disembarked from Dumbarton once when the sleeper broke down there - was only going to Helensburgh so it wasn't too inconvenient. The benefits of Dumbarton and Dalmuir Highlander stops over Glasgow is the direct connection onto the North Clyde line.

I tend to embark/disembark at Helensburgh Upper. The timings at the Scotland end work well (approx 2300 departure and 0631 arrival) and ensure a decent length sleep both ways plus full days. Getting the Lowlander adds a fair bit of extra hassle. For departures it means a much earlier departure given the 45min ride to Queens Street plus 5min walk. For arrivals it means you will be sharing the train to Helensburgh with the school kids which can be a noisy start to the day as well as meaning it is gone 0830 before getting there.

jagardner1984

I disembarked from Dumbarton once when the sleeper broke down there - was only going to Helensburgh so it wasn't too inconvenient. The benefits of Dumbarton and Dalmuir Highlander stops over Glasgow is the direct connection onto the North Clyde line.

I tend to embark/disembark at Helensburgh Upper. The timings at the Scotland end work well (approx 2300 departure and 0631 arrival) and ensure a decent length sleep both ways plus full days. Getting the Lowlander adds a fair bit of extra hassle. For departures it means a much earlier departure given the 45min ride to Queens Street plus 5min walk. For arrivals it means you will be sharing the train to Helensburgh with the school kids which can be a noisy start to the day as well as meaning it is gone 0830 before getting there.
The Dalmuir stop is useful for passengers when the Lowlander is full. Not ideal of course, but not insurmountable to either destination - and northbound is well timed with a short hop to Central.

ruaival

There may be wires crossed here. The Thurso/Wick idea was for a sleeper to the central belt rather than London.
In terms of travel time it would make sense, but the question would of course be level of demand.
There is already an airport at Wick which had flights to Edinburgh until March 2020 (now just Aberdeen), so it isn't as though the market for a time efficient option has not been explored.
and at 6h30 projected drving time from Scrabster ferry Terminal to Livingston, few peopel would I think consider an overnight train rather than an A9 drive themselves ?

journey times over that long distance are probably reliable if everyone manges to stay on the road throughout
(evidence: multiple Cheshire East to Orkney return trips May-Sep 2022 including late May Bank Holiday 10h as predicted door-to-door run North)

Alanko

Somewhere between Waverley and Queen Street.
Spean Bridge? Barely ten miles outside Fort William, but without the accommodation or attractions of the latter. I can't imagine many northbound passengers get off at Spean Bridge, and most heading south would presumably start at Fort William rather than drive ten miles into the hinterland to a smaller settlement to shave fewer than 20 minutes off the Sleeper journey.

fisher2511

Ardlui and Roy Bridge are the only sleeper request stops, which suggests they may be the least used.