• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Least used station that still has a strike service?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PGAT

Established Member
Which station in the UK has the lowest amount of passenger usage, but still gets served on typical strike days?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

busestrains

On Moderation
Which station in the UK has the lowest amount of passenger usage, but still gets served on typical strike days?
Smallbrook Junction may be a contender for this. On the Island Line there is a normal service on strike days. Trains only stop at Smallbrook Junction when the steam railway is open. But on many of the strike days the steam railway has been running and trains have been calling.

Otherwise maybe Balcombe is a contender. It is a small rural countryside village but still gets a decent amount of passengers. But it is certainly the least used Brighton Main Line station.

ctrh136

I would maybe think Chipstead which is the least used station on the Tattenham Corner branch, which does get a strike day service.

ls2270

Established Member
Smallbrook Junction may be a contender for this. On the Island Line there is a normal service on strike days. Trains only stop at Smallbrook Junction when the steam railway is open. But on many of the strike days the steam railway has been running and trains have been calling.

Otherwise maybe Balcombe is a contender. It is a small rural countryside village but still gets a decent amount of passengers. But it is certainly the least used Brighton Main Line station.
Somewhere in between those two in usage is Sunnymeads, which has double its normal service (every 15 minutes vice every 30) on strike days!

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Isn't that actually Salfords?

busestrains

On Moderation
Isn't that actually Salfords?
Yes i have just checked and it seems you are right:

• Balcombe - 123,504

• Salfords - 84,094

I am very surprised by this. Salfords seems much busier than Balcombe every time i go. Salfords is an urban and busy area with lots of houses all around. Balcombe on the other hand is a small rural village. Salfords station is always much busier than Balcombe station every time i have been there. So i must say that i am surprised by those usage statistics.

Barn

Established Member
Yes i have just checked and it seems you are right:

• Balcombe - 123,504

• Salfords - 84,094

I am very surprised by this. Salfords seems much busier than Balcombe every time i go. Salfords is an urban and busy area with lots of houses all around. Balcombe on the other hand is a small rural village. Salfords station is always much busier than Balcombe station every time i have been there. So i must say that i am surprised by those usage statistics.

Salfords might be affected by a ticketing quirk which depresses the numbers.

For instance, I think it's no more expensive to get a season ticket to Gatwick, which would allow you to get a fast train and double back.

higthomas

Shepreth beats both of them with just 68,718 total entries and exits, and an hourly service.

Parallel

Established Member
Avoncliff in Wiltshire gets services on strike days - its usage last year was about 18,800.

MacCookie

There's Breich with 3,638 entries and exits last financial year and four calls per day.

RPI

Established Member
I was going to say Starcross, but for 21/22 it actually had a footfall in excess of 90k!

James H

It’s not served during the strikes, but during the recent overtime ban Beaulieu Road had a better service than normal.

william.martin

On Moderation
I was going to say Starcross, but for 21/22 it actually had a footfall in excess of 90k!
A lot of people (including my self) holiday in the Dawlish area however to add a bit of excitement to there day trip too Exmouth instead of catching the train all the way to Exmouth they change for the ferry at Starcross.

RPI

Established Member
A lot of people (including my self) holiday in the Dawlish area however to add a bit of excitement to there day trip too Exmouth instead of catching the train all the way to Exmouth they change for the ferry at Starcross.
Yes, a large number board from Dawlish Warren to do the same.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
I wonder if one of the south wales valley lines stations could creep in here given TfW run the infrastructure rather than NR. Looks like Ynyswen had about 10k for 21/22 and I'm sure there's lesser used stations in the area than there.

Benjwri

Established Member
Avoncliff in Wiltshire gets services on strike days - its usage last year was about 18,800.
Really depends what you mean by typical strike day, ASLEF strike days when GWR drivers are on strike hasn't seen service to Avoncliff

Status
Not open for further replies.