• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leaving the industry to work in airport security?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boski

Hi all, currently in limbo with what to do, currently work at a major london terminal as a dispatcher and with the way things are going am looking at other things can anyone help with the pros and cons of both as am really stuck. Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RyanC87

Do you want to work in transport. If not why not try police. Although I wouldn't want to be a met officer. I'm an officer in Gwent. Although only for a few more days. Secure job decent money. Or prison officer, that was an interesting one.

Starmill

Veteran Member
It might help a little if you're able to provide slightly more detail, especially useful to know to give good advice would be:

Would you be moving to better paid role? I am assuming that the answer is yes because people usually wouldn't move from something permanent to a lower paid role. If so what sort of % increase, 5% more?

Are you currently a member of a railway pension and what pension contributions does your new potential employer offer?

How much do you currently pay in commuting costs and how much will it be to commute to the Airport instead? Have you checked if the Airport offers discounted rail travel for staff, the big ones usually do. Also, is your new proposed place of work closer and easier to get to?

Do you currently receive any leisure travel benefits and if so do you use them in practice?

yoyothehobo

i used to work airport security at manchester and whilst it paid well enough, it was early mornings, busy and T1 at Manchester didnt have a window...

I enjoyed it enough, it was better than working in a call centre for sure. But it is still a role where performance is highly monitored and covert testers are common.

I only did 6 hour shifts max, with anything 5 hours or longer having a mandatory 40 minute break.

Established Member
Hi all, currently in limbo with what to do, currently work at a major london terminal as a dispatcher and with the way things are going am looking at other things can anyone help with the pros and cons of both as am really stuck. Thanks

With good safety critical experience, would you not consider other railway roles? Generally permanent railway roles offer relatively good pay and Ts and Cs compared to other sectors, which is something to consider.

Not a job I'd want to do. It's basically a job where none of the customers like you at all, despite it being an important one!

Agreed.

Undiscovered

Traffic Officer for Highways Agency is always worth a look, provided you live within the depot radius.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Personally I’d stay in the railway as there are potential promotion options of guard / on-board / driver available to you which will distinctly improve your standing.

The aviation sector can be quite volatile and I don’t believe T&Cs could match the railway but I may be wrong.

It would also be good to asesss the pros and cons such as your current salary / workload / interest / roster / location / commute etc. Ultimately only you can make that decision, but those aspects might help forum members give you advice.

I will hazard a guess you are based at Paddington / Marylebone / Waterloo and are an easy commute to Heathrow?

Stigy

Established Member
If be inclined not to be too hasty. There’s loads of avenues to go down on the railway and it’s all generally secure (as any other industry). I’ve done security work and id never go back to it. Not in a million years.

One to consider would be Border Force? They recently had a massive recruitment drive and it’s not a bad job, with appropriate salary and civil service pension etc. They were recruiting for Heathrow and Gatwick I think?

GalaxyDog

Tricky question this, as I am in the same sort of situation and considering leaving the rail industry as it has been a hostile experience. Currently a train Guard, fully safety critical but with things looking ropey for everyone who is not a driver, and the fact that not everyone can be a driver (think about those who narrowly failed the driver psychometric entrance exams twice for example) it is certainly a time to be thinking about one's future.

"Loads of avenues down on the railway and generally secure" - I sincerely doubt this, given the hostile political situation.

It also depends on your TOC in particular. Some have been decent to their guards and station staff, otherwise (like mine) have been downright awful.

Wattk

I know someone who left being a station assistant for a security officer role at Heathrow. I think it is a bit of a side ways move. But it depends if you are looking for a change, is the money more?

Seejwalker

No experience myself but if it’s helps,

We have a fair few come over from Heathrow in various roles to join us as signallers. They all say they’d never go back.

Tricky question this, as I am in the same sort of situation and considering leaving the rail industry as it has been a hostile experience. Currently a train Guard, fully safety critical but with things looking ropey for everyone who is not a driver, and the fact that not everyone can be a driver (think about those who narrowly failed the driver psychometric entrance exams twice for example) it is certainly a time to be thinking about one's future.

"Loads of avenues down on the railway and generally secure" - I sincerely doubt this, given the hostile political situation.

It also depends on your TOC in particular. Some have been decent to their guards and station staff, otherwise (like mine) have been downright awful.
Plenty of guards become signallers, a pretty secure role.

Stigy

Established Member
It’s as secure as any other industry, bar maybe emergency services, which naturally have another level of job security or tend to. The railway is vast, and jobs won’t all just disappear overnight. There’s management roles, depot roles, frontline roles and office roles after all.

GalaxyDog

It’s as secure as any other industry, bar maybe emergency services, which naturally have another level of job security or tend to. The railway is vast, and jobs won’t all just disappear overnight. There’s management roles, depot roles, frontline roles and office roles after all.
Tell that to ticket office and station staff who, if the Tories get what they want when they want, will be swept away in an instant.

I will concede re management roles but again, not everyone can become a manager. Some will lose out. Signalling a thought.

Stigy

Established Member
Tell that to ticket office and station staff who, if the Tories get what they want when they want, will be swept away in an instant.

I will concede re management roles but again, not everyone can become a manager. Some will lose out. Signalling a thought.
Closure of ticket offices doesn’t necessarily mean job loses, and very much depends of how it pans out. I agree though that they are amongst the most vulnerable, but in the grand scheme of things, only represent a relative percentage of the industry.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Can I politely remind people that the OP’s question was very specific on a transfer to a role in aviation and to please remain on topic.

GalaxyDog

Well, my advice would be for OP to thoroughly research it - hours, terms and conditions, pay, bonuses, holiday and weekend pay rates, and so forth, plus pension and then weigh it up. Then factor in job vulnerability as well.

skyhigh

Established Member
But it depends if you are looking for a change, is the money more?
Money isn't everything. I imagine working in airport security you don't get many company benefits - compare that to the potential value of the likes of free TOC travel, PRIV or FIP.

Hanz_05

Having worked at Heathrow myself, but not in security, but on the aviation side, I would advise you to stay where you are and progress in different departments within the railway. Personally, I left because I took the redundancy package, would I return? No. Heathrow security pay isn't as good as it used to be, but promotion opportunities are frequent. They have a strong union, which is a plus, and the people with whom you will be working are pleasant and diverse. Heathrow security does not provide any benefits to their employees other than free parking for work.

Status
Not open for further replies.