• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leeds/Bradford airport to Skipton

Status
Not open for further replies.

PFX

I tried searching here for advice on a trip from Leeds/Bradford airport to Skipton but was unsuccessful or missed it.

I'm visiting the Embsay & Bolton Abbey Railway this month and I'm trying to work out the easiest way to get there. Am I right in thinking a taxi to Apperley Bridge followed by a train to Shipley, then change for Skipton is the right way to do it or am I barking up the wrong tree? I looked at the Northern timetables and I think this is correct.

Many thanks for any help with this.

Innis

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I tried searching here for advice on a trip from Leeds/Bradford airport to Skipton but was unsuccessful or missed it.

I'm visiting the Embsay & Bolton Abbey Railway this month and I'm trying to work out the easiest way to get there. Am I right in thinking a taxi to Apperley Bridge followed by a train to Shipley, then change for Skipton is the right way to do it or am I barking up the wrong tree? I looked at the Northern timetables and I think this is correct.

Many thanks for any help with this.

Innis

If you're going to do a taxi, but not all the way, you could go to Guiseley, which is nearer, and then train to Shipley. or train to Ilkley and then infrequent bus to Skipton (or on a Sunday to Embsay and Bolton Abbey).

The hourly A2 bus goes from the Airport to Apperley Bridge, too.

PFX

Thanks for that. I'm travelling Thursday and Saturday but would rather stick to rail as much as possible, never having travelled these lines before. Last time I was in Skipton was in the 80s and I arrived by narrowboat.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Thanks for that. I'm travelling Thursday and Saturday but would rather stick to rail as much as possible, never having travelled these lines before. Last time I was in Skipton was in the 80s and I arrived by narrowboat.

Taxi to Guiseley is quicker / nearer - depends on connections. At the moment there's only one train an hour Guseley to Shipley off-peak and 2 from Apperley Bridge, but the Apperley Bridge trains are more prone to cancellation on the day.

alistairlees

Established Member
You could get bus A2 from the airport to Apperley Bridge station, though it only runs once an hour.

Veteran Member
You could get bus A2 from the airport to Apperley Bridge station, though it only runs once an hour.
And if you miss it, on the opposite half hour the A3 runs via Guiseley Station to Shipley Market Place from where the station is an easy downhill walk (having checked which platform you want first!).

For Embsay you want the 14 from Skipton bus station.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
And if you miss it, on the opposite half hour the A3 runs via Guiseley Station to Shipley Market Place.
That's a good point

For Embsay you want the 14 from Skipton bus station.
[/QUOTE]
Monday to Friday.

On a Saturday the 59 serves Bolton Abbey.

Status
Not open for further replies.