• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leeds First Class Lounge Access (Virgin Trains East Coast)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I have a First Class 7 Day Season that permits travel on Virgin Trains East Coast services between Leeds and Wakefield. My intended train is the 1805 Leeds to London King's Cross, as far as Wakefield Westgate with this ticket.

Unfortunately I have just been turned away from the First Class lounge. I was informed that my ticket would need to be valid to Doncaster or beyond to permit entry. Has anyone ever heard of this rule before? I certainly haven't, and the page on the website about Lounges makes no reference to this. I asked if the policy was written down anywhere, but the staff couldn't find any written evidence of it to show me. I asked if the policy had changed recently, but was told that this had been the case for as long as this particular member of staff has worked there. I asked why the policy wasn't documented on the website or the poster outside the Lounge, the staff member didn't know. Finally I asked why it was that on the penultimate day of my Season ticket's validity I was being refused entry, but that I had been allowed in on four occasions on previous days using the same ticket. The staff member said this was because her colleagues "probably hadn't checked [my] ticket properly".

A big part of the reason I bought the ticket as First Class was because I knew from previous uses that I would be allowed to use the Leeds and Wakefield lounges with it. Had I not, I wouldn't have paid the extra cost of First Class. Additionally, it was very embarrassing to be turned away and if the policy had been clear, and I did not qualify, I would never have asked to be let in.

Any thoughts welcome.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
If I were you, I'd politely contact VTEC and hopefully they can advise, I've never heard of said policy before either.

[.n]

You're on the train now, so a bit useless, but it may have be worth asking politely that as there was no customer available documentation indicating that it was not a valid ticket for this purpose if on this ocassion her manager could approve your use and contact customer services on your behalf to clarify the issuenfor future reference.

Sacro

Following a discussion on Twitter it appears they're making rules up as they go along, the website simply states "Fully inter-available First Class Season Ticket" and "Any First Class Anytime ticket valid for travel on the Virgin Trains East Coast route" so yours should be perfectly fine.

Perhaps a complaint is in order.

brompton rail

Interesting that BR Fares won't give me a 7 day First Class season price between Leeds and Wakefield Westgate, only quoting a Day Return (set by WY PTE), but does give a First Class Weekly Season between Leeds and Doncaster (set by VTEC). Don't know why, as you clearly have a Firet Class season ticket. Strange!

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
The origin of the ticket is in Manchester, and it costs £112.80 a week. You would think that loyal customers would get better treatment than this.

Status
Not open for further replies.