• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leeds to Burnley Manchester Road via Todmorden

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiancross

I had an off-peak day return (restriction code B1) from Burnley Machester Road to Leeds for travel today (Tuesday).

I wanted to take the 1617 from Leeds to Todmorden and then the 1736 from Todmorden to Burnley Manchester Road using this ticket.

However, Northern support (online) stated my ticket was not valid between 1601 and 1829, citing this page. Is this correct, as the relevant ticket shown on that page has restriction code ND and my ticket has restriction code B1?

I wanted to double-check:
  1. Is there a valid journey from Leeds to Burnley Manchester Road via Todmorden with my ticket? (I think there is)
  2. Do the restrictions for a Leeds to Todmorden ticket apply to the equivalent portion of my journey to Burnley Manchester Road?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
As far as I can see your ticket is valid for the journey you wish to take changing at Todmorden. The Trainline will happily sell me the Off Peak ticket.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
As far as I can see your ticket is valid for the journey you wish to take changing at Todmorden. The Trainline will happily sell me the Off Peak ticket.
Interestingly, National Rail Enquiries doesn't seem to show any walkup fares available for journeys from Leeds to Burnley Manchester Road (via Todmorden), except for advances, and some weird itinerary involving doubling back via Hebden Bridge, and possibly requiring a combination of tickets.

Is via Todmorden definitely permitted?

alistairlees

Established Member
I had an off-peak day return (restriction code B1) from Burnley Machester Road to Leeds for travel today (Tuesday).

I wanted to take the 1617 from Leeds to Todmorden and then the 1736 from Todmorden to Burnley Manchester Road using this ticket.

However, Northern support (online) stated my ticket was not valid between 1601 and 1829, citing this page. Is this correct, as the relevant ticket shown on that page has restriction code ND and my ticket has restriction code B1?

1. Is there a valid journey from Leeds to Burnley Manchester Road via Todmorden with my ticket? (I think there is)
  2. Do the restrictions for a Leeds to Todmorden ticket apply to the equivalent portion of my journey to Burnley Manchester Road?
They were completely wrong and don’t understand ticketing. You held a Burnley to Leeds ticket; a leeds to todmorden ticket, and any restrictions relating to it, has got nothing to do with this.

If you were delayed by more than 15 minutes by the ‘advice’ then you should claim delay repay.

Veteran Member
Interestingly, National Rail Enquiries doesn't seem to show any walkup fares available for journeys from Leeds to Burnley Manchester Road (via Todmorden), except for advances, and some weird itinerary involving doubling back via Hebden Bridge, and possibly requiring a combination of tickets.

Yes, and I can find walk-up fares that way on NRE (click "other tickets") and Northern.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

Yes it is permitted.
  1. Do the restrictions for a Leeds to Todmorden ticket apply to the equivalent portion of my journey to Burnley Manchester Road?
As others have said the only applicable restriction is that of the ticket you hold (B1).

Northern can't be relied upon to give accurate information; people on this forum can.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member

Clearly yes, as others have already confirmed. LNER's website returned the £15.90 Off Peak Day Single fare, routed "via Hebden Bridge", for all journeys after 0929 (Mon-Fri) and interchanging only at Todmorden. :)

Query: What alternative routing is available between Leeds and Burnley Manchester Road using the considerably more expensive route "any permitted", £31.70 Anytime Day Single fare? (By comparison, the Anytime Day Single ticket routed "via Hebden Bridge" is priced just £2.00 more than the similarly route restricted £15.90 Off Peak Day Single).

Status
Not open for further replies.