• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leeds to Oxford Return

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossover

Established Member
Just looking for some advice for a friend who is making the above journey in June, out on the 23rd and returning on the 25th (Off Peak)

Cheapest non discounted return through ticket is £88.40 as I make it.

Splitting at Leamington Spa, I have reduced this by about £12, and with advances, the price comes down to £65ish (currently looking at both options of AP's vs walk up tickets.)

Without going miles off the beaten track (i.e. one split I found included Rugeley Trent Valley!), can anyone think of any better possibilities? (I am thinking on the lines of via Birmingham being the most direct route)

My friend is also eligable for a Disabled Persons Railcard, although they don't have one at present, the savings may add up to more than the cost of the railcard itself so is a further option

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lampshade

Established Member
Priced by XC so you'll probably be able to get it down to 50/60% of the through fare.

Without using any risky anomalous fares (though I know of two that'll get the cost down to ~£30/40 return), TPE advances to Manchester, split at either Stoke or Stafford and again at Birmingham. The problem comes around Banbury, as there's no real splitting points and the fares are a fortune :shock:

Crossover

Established Member
I hadn't thought of splitting at Manchester actually - I will give that a go tomorrow (very similar time wise as well, I believe to the route via Derby)

SS4

Established Member
Have you tried Tamworth? I notice that Tamworth to Leamington Spa is priced by LM

General Zod

You can split the journey into two parts. Leeds(LDS)-Manchester Pic (MAN), Manchester - Oxford (OXF)

Plenty of £6.00 ( not discounted) Advances from LDS-MAN (23rd) and MAN-LDS(25th) on the Transpennine Express Website

Cross Country Website

23rd Jun 11.27 & 12.27 MAN - OXF ( arr 14.14, 15.14 ) £16.50 Disabled RC
25th Jun 09.36 10.07 11.07 OXF - MAN £16.50 Disabled RC.

Could save yourself another £5 in total if you split into three : LDS-MAN , MAN-BANBURY (BAN) and BAN-OXF.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.