• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leeds to Sheffield via Penistone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waverley125

Is this a valid route? If not what's the best ticket combination?

Looking to go out LDS-HUD-SHF to arrive at 1130 and depart sometime after 1800, SHF to LDS direct via either WWG or WKG.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cuccir

Established Member
It's not valid (at least, it's not shown by journey planners) but an Off-Peak Day Return New Pudsey-Sheffield ticket does seem to be valid via both Leeds and Penistone, at £12.80

Romilly

Established Member
According to the journey planner I was looking at (Virgin Trains East Coast), it is not a valid route on a Leeds-Sheffield ticket.

But for an extra £1, a Bradford Interchange-Sheffield £12.80 offpeak day return would appear to give you the flexibility you want. On that ticket, you can start from and finish at Leeds, and can go via Huddersfield & Penistone or via Wakefield & Normanton (and possibily via other routes although I haven't checked any others).

Edit: I did look at New Pudsey-Sheffield tickets, but couldn't get the journey planner to give me routes via Leeds with those tickets.

Last edited:

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
I asked a similar question a few years back and was told that no, LDS-SHF via the Penistone line was no longer valid but if I contacted ATOC they might consider reinstating it (in the end I never did).

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=48334

However I was at Huddersfield over Christmas and, out of curiosity tried my LDS-SHF season ticket in the barriers and to my surprise the barrier duly opened. I wonder therefore if acceptance by the ticket barriers suggests that the ticket is valid via that route?

Haydn1971

Established Member
I've used a Sheffield-Leeds season ticket to travel to Halifax and Huddersfield, both times asking the onboard staff if my ticket was valid, confused look back, shrugged shoulders and yeah, should be. I suspect it wasn't given the comments upthread, but hey ho.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
However I was at Huddersfield over Christmas and, out of curiosity tried my LDS-SHF season ticket in the barriers and to my surprise the barrier duly opened. I wonder therefore if acceptance by the ticket barriers suggests that the ticket is valid via that route?

A lot of barriers will open if the ticket is in date whether or not it's on a valid route. Equally plenty of other barriers will not open when presented with a valid ticket! So I'd put little to no faith in barriers when it comes to working out if a ticket is valid.

Ianigsy

For a number of years a couple of Leeds-Huddersfield peak stoppers were combined with Huddersfield-Sheffield and occasionally Sheffield-Retford-Lincoln runs, so perhaps the validity given by a through train is still in the system somewhere. I can remember when I used to commute by train from Leeds in the evening about seven or eight years ago, there was a through service to Lincoln via Huddersfield and Sheffield and yes, every stop was announced! Now just a couple of through Huddersfield-Retford workings in my timetable and I'd guess that the current plans for the Trans-Pennine route make it unlikely that such a service would run again anytime soon.

mikeg

Established Member
For a number of years a couple of Leeds-Huddersfield peak stoppers were combined with Huddersfield-Sheffield and occasionally Sheffield-Retford-Lincoln runs, so perhaps the validity given by a through train is still in the system somewhere

Indeed if it is a through run then as long as it is advertised as such it's a permitted route according to the National Rail Conditions of Carriage, where your ticket states it is valid via any permitted route or the routeing on your ticket does not contradict the route you are taking. However this only applies if you are actually on said through train.

However, the Routeing Guide does appear to say no to this one. Please note that if it's a through train you don't need to look at the routeing guide in the first place.

The only hope would be that it were the shortest route, which it isn't.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
ATOC/RSP/whoever constantly remove validity via Huddersfield on tickets between York/Leeds and Sheffield, see http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=85493

I suspect they won't have bothered to ask the DfT, so it's probably another illegal change, but they'll get away with it. No-one will report them, and even if they did, the DfT/ORR don't give a damn what they get up to.

Perhaps someone is up for fighting them on this?

Clip

Established Member
Maybe, maybe not. You seem to mention travelling this route a few times over the years so it does impact you~(or should without creative ticketing) so you are impacted as if not then you wouldn't have to be so creative would you?

Status
Not open for further replies.