• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leeds/Wakefield to High Wycombe day return split tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizzly

Hello all,
I'm looking for advice on a possible day trip in the near future from Leeds to High Wycombe and back, and the best options to reduce the cost with splitting tickets.

Needing to travel out on the 0616 from Leeds, changing at Banbury to arrive High Wycombe 1007.

Here's what I have found:
£00.00 Leeds-Wakefield (have a WY Mcard)
£12.20 Wakefield-Chesterfield SDR
£18.90 Chesterfield-Derby SDR
£18.80 Derby-Birmingham SDR
£32.20 Birmingham-High Wycombe CDR route Banbury

for total £82.10. It looks OK to me, but can anyone spot any flaws?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
The splits at Chesterfield, Derby and Birmingham look good. If you walk from New Street to Moor Street in Birmingham for a Chiltern train (much more spacious than CrossCountry and with free Wifi), and can also commit to a fixed time coming back, you may be able to get good value Chiltern advances for the Birmingham <--> High Wycombe legs which could potentially save a further £10-£15 or so.

MarlowDonkey

Needing to travel out on the 0616 from Leeds, changing at Banbury to arrive High Wycombe 1007.

If you wanted a faster journey, going via London might do it, particularly if you can beat the official time for Kings Cross to Marylebone.

Grizzly

Thanks for the replies. I'm probably going to stick with CrossCountry/Chiltern because the London option would be a good deal more expensive.

I probably won't be able to commit to a specific train back, but free wifi on Chiltern sounds good.

crosscity

Q
......... It looks OK to me, but can anyone spot any flaws?
Not all CC trains stop at Chesterfield, so your tickets wouldn't be valid between Sheffield and Derby (or vice versa) on those. To avoid this split at Sheffield, not Chesterfield. I don't think the fare difference is all that much.

Last edited:

brompton rail

Not all CC trains stop at Chesterfield, so your tickets wouldn't be valid between Sheffield and Derby on those. To avoid this split at Sheffield, not Chesterfield. I don't think the fare difference is all that much.

Only the Newcastle - Reading trains miss out Chesterfield (and not all of them), and all services via Wakefield Westgate do call at Chesterfield (including the 06.16 ex Leeds which goes via Doncaster)..

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
£00.00 Leeds-Wakefield (have a WY Mcard)
£12.20 Wakefield-Chesterfield SDR
Does this only go as far as Zone 3? If so, then you can't get it any cheaper to get as far as Chesterfield.

However if it covers you up to Zone 5 then you only need the next ticket to be from Moorthorpe, at a cost of £9.20 SDR.

gnolife

Established Member
Does this only go as far as Zone 3? If so, then you can't get it any cheaper to get as far as Chesterfield.

However if it covers you up to Zone 5 then you only need the next ticket to be from Moorthorpe, at a cost of £9.20 SDR.

Isn't it South Elmsall that the split needs to be at, the train in question is via Wakefield and Doncaster?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Isn't it South Elmsall that the split needs to be at, the train in question is via Wakefield and Doncaster?
Sorry, yes if the train is via Doncaster on the outward journey and the normal direct route via Moorthorpe on the return, then a ticket from Moorthorpe wouldn't do.

South Elmsall would actually work for this, but as it's the same price from Fitzwilliam or Wakefield, I would buy a Wakefield ticket, to avoid confusion.

crosscity

Q
Not all CC trains stop at Chesterfield, so your tickets wouldn't be valid between Sheffield and Derby (or vice versa) on those. To avoid this split at Sheffield, not Chesterfield. I don't think the fare difference is all that much.

I have looked at BRfares and to my surprise the difference between splitting at Chesterfield or Sheffield is £8.10 which is a significant amount. The Any Permitted fare from Wakefield to Sheffield is only 10p less than that to Chesterfield! It would appear that passengers from Wakefield to Sheffield are to be discouraged from travelling via Doncaster, but those going to Chesterfield are not penalised.

As the OP is committed to catching the 6:16 from Leeds then a via Doncaster (Any permitted) fare is appropriate.

My preference for the Sheffield split is about flexibility on the return journey. On arrival at New St I would catch the first through train to Sheffield. I would either be on the Wakefield service (so would stay on it) or I would need to change at Sheffield (or even Doncaster). Having changed there might be the possibility of getting to Wakefield before the next through train from Birmingham.

I might pay £2 for this flexibility, but £8.10 would be too much as the chances are I would only save at most 15 minutes. My advice to the OP is ignore my intervention and split at Chesterfield!

Last edited:

Grizzly

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to reply. It is a zone 1-3 Mcard I usually get, so only gets me as far as Wakefield. I'm happy enough to wait at New St for the through train to Leeds if these all stop at Chesterfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.