• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Length restriction on WCML?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ah-media

Due to engineering work in the Northampton area, many trains have been removed from the timetable today (Sun 10 Sep 23) - no LNWR services out of Euston to the West Midlands / TV Line before 1pm. As a result, southbound services were also affected and very overcrowded.

On the 1427 Rugby - Euston LNWR service, it was rammed to the gills and every last bit of floor space was taken up. The Train Manager apologised to customers and informed everyone they were unable to run 12 car services so everyone had to fit into 8 cars.

I'll admit, this was the first time I had heard of this. I assumed that 12 cars were often used on the WCML through Rugby.

Is this an operational or technical constraint?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DenmarkRail

Not sure whether it is technically possible, but pretty sure Stafford has stop boards for 12 car 350s. That to me indicates that someone at LNWR (or LM back in the day) at least thought it could be possible to run 12 carriage 350s.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Not sure whether it is technically possible, but pretty sure Stafford has stop boards for 12 car 350s. That to me indicates that someone at LNWR (or LM back in the day) at least thought it could be possible to run 12 carriage 350s.
There are plans for running 12 car 350s up the trent valley in future, so they may be related to that (or they're as you said)

Starmill

Veteran Member
Coulkd it be that that particular service called at a station which could only take 8 cars
Well given some if the stations can't even take eight, yes. However they do run with eight at such stations. But the main reason is because of policy rather than short platforms, and because it would be very difficult to schedule shunting and attachments at Rugby.

Presumably the train was much less crowded after Milton Keynes Central which was a stop to set down only?

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
There are plans for running 12 car 350s up the trent valley in future, so they may be related to that (or they're as you said)
Indeed, come December there should be 12 car Crewe-Euston services on Friday and Saturdays.

However, as this was regarding Northampton services which do/can run as 12 cars it's not entirely relevant.

12 cars won't fit in the bay platforms they use at Grewe.
But 12 do fit at 5 other platforms.....

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
LNWR will soon be running 10-car Aventras on the route (2x5-car), which will be equivalent in length to 12-car 350s (3x4-car).

Last edited:

Snow1964

Established Member
Well given some if the stations can't even take eight, yes. However they do run with eight at such stations. But the main reason is because of policy rather than short platforms

I do wonder if the policy actually says must never happen, or if it was intended as should not normally happen (allowing exceptions when alternative services are curtailed during engineering work).

Clearly 350s can couple as triple sets, so no technical reason on the train, and certain bay platforms are short (not usually a problem when other platforms available during curtailments).

The other thing is pairs of new 730s will be similar length to 3 x 350s which seems to suggest policy principle doesn't hold anymore

But engineering work involves series of changes to normal, so not clear why 12car operation during works wasn't included

SeanBentley

The inability to run 12-car services and the use of 8-car trains on the West Coast Main Line (WCML) through Rugby due to engineering work and overcrowding is likely due to operational constraints during the engineering work. Running longer trains often requires adequate platform length, signaling systems, and operational planning to ensure safety and efficiency. During engineering work or other disruptions, it may not be feasible to operate longer trains, leading to the use of shorter ones to accommodate passengers while minimizing delays and disruptions.

Due to engineering work in the Northampton area, many trains have been removed from the timetable today (Sun 10 Sep 23) - no LNWR services out of Euston to the West Midlands / TV Line before 1pm. As a result, southbound services were also affected and very overcrowded.

On the 1427 Rugby - Euston LNWR service, it was rammed to the gills and every last bit of floor space was taken up. The Train Manager apologised to customers and informed everyone they were unable to run 12 car services so everyone had to fit into 8 cars.

I'll admit, this was the first time I had heard of this. I assumed that 12 cars were often used on the WCML through Rugby.

Is this an operational or technical constraint?

Established Member
Services were pick up (north) & set down (south) only at MK to mitigate the crowds during the works.

12 car working is not yet signed off north of Northampton (ie not Rugby).

(imo) No 12 - car workings are necessary on the Trent yet, only south of Rugby are trains hitting capacity - half of Tamworth seems to want to use just one carriage, the back is half empty.

That said, one of the Birminghams should really be diverting after Rugby to form another fast Rug - MK - London.

Energy

Established Member
12 car only operate south of Northampton.
The 1756 (Weekdays) and 1946 (Saturdays) London Euston to Birmingham New Street are both meant to be 12 cars.
half of Tamworth seems to want to use just one carriage, the back is half empty.
LNWR passengers do seem particularly terrible at using the entire train, the walk-through 730s should help.

alex17595

The 12 Car Birmingham train detach 4 at Northampton.

Some of the trent valley trains can be pretty full, put as said above it's because everyone boards at the back at Euston.

D1537

Maybe not relevant, but I was on the 1627 Rugby-Euston yesterday (350121+350250) - the 7th coach was less than half full and the rear coach can't have had more than 10 people in it.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
The 12 Car Birmingham train detach 4 at Northampton.

Some of the trent valley trains can be pretty full, put as said above it's because everyone boards at the back at Euston.
A lot of Friday/Saturday trains do need to be 12 cars, and Sundays are often crush loaded at Euston so more capacity (or a more frequent service) would be useful.

Will see what method of working they come up with for 12 on the Trent before deciding whether it's really worthwhile given there's likely to be mandatory positioning etc for conductors at the very least.

Maybe not relevant, but I was on the 1627 Rugby-Euston yesterday (350121+350250) - the 7th coach was less than half full and the rear coach can't have had more than 10 people in it.
It's quite often like that by Rugby, the rear is busiest out of Crewe with the front filling up by Tamworth.

Status
Not open for further replies.