• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Let’s celebrate the positive moments…

Status
Not open for further replies.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Good evening, all,

We all travel by train fairly regularly. I have no doubt that most journeys pass by and remain fairly mundane, nothing really to write home about. Sometimes we end up moaning and complaining.

Something I don’t feel that we do enough is celebrate the good. Those moments where a TOC, an individual staff member, or similar, has done something to create a memorable moment. Something to write home about for the right reasons.

Whilst sitting journeying this evening, I thought I’d create a thread where we can come together to celebrate the staff of our railways. Let’s share stories between ourselves to promote positivity.

It goes without saying that I really do encourage you to communicate with the TOC to pass on your thanks alongside sharing it with us.

I’ll start us off… a story from my travels with Hull Trains a few days ago.

The way the On Board Manager went about his duties stood out to me. A spring in his step, clear joy and enthusiasm for the job being done. He had patience and understanding to find a solution for each ticketing irregularity, etc. He went above and beyond for his customers and certainly made my journey a lot easier.

What moment stands out for you to share?

TP

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
It's less of a moment for me, rather a day, the 1st August venturing around the Cardiff Valleys... all of the guards were really nice and friendly and they made the trains an absolute pleasure to ride on. Not one of them were in any way negative!

GordonT

A friend happened to mention to me this evening that her son who often requires to use a wheelchair was recently travelling by ScotRail returning home from Edinburgh. At Edinburgh they put a ramp up for him boarding the unit and asked where he was going. Because there's no disabled access at Lochgelly Station - he stays in Lochgelly - they told him to get off at Cowdenbeath (the previous station) where they had arranged a minibus to take him home. I should have asked my friend whether assistance had been pre-requested, but regardless, my friend and her son were delighted with such exemplary service.

Master29

Established Member
I`ve been on many journeys over the years where staff went above and beyond. I actually think staff are better trained in customer services than in the BR days. One good thing of recent years I suppose.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
One good thing of recent years I suppose.
Absolutely - combine this with a push for company values, etc.

The increase of leisure travel especially, travelling by rail really is a choice and I feel it’s important that that is remembered.

irish_rail

Established Member
For me as a driver, if a passenger thanks me at journies end it leaves a warm glo inside, as unlike for bus drivers, its not overly common.

duncanp

Established Member
When I was travelling from Bury St Edmunds in July, someone was sick on one of the replacement buses serving the station. (It was a Sunday and there were no trains due to engineering work)

Without any fuss, the coach driver and the member of station staff organised a mop and bucket to clear up the mess, and the bus was on its way with a delay of no more than about 5 minutes.

They said that they would rather do this than take the bus out of service and make everyone wait an hour for the next bus, thus further delaying people whose journeys were already disrupted due to there being no trains.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
For me as a driver, if a passenger thanks me at journies end it leaves a warm glo inside, as unlike for bus drivers, its not overly common.
I think it makes it slightly easier for bus drivers as in the majority of the country you have to walk by the driver to get off, I rarely see the driver of a train as I get off as I'm dashing off to wherever I am next (although I've gotten into the routine of saying thanks to the guard where I can).

JohnMcL7

I was cycling with a friend and the plan was at the end of the trip to go to the station where my friend would get the train home and I'd head back on my bike. However the weather really turned and as we approached the station we could see a thunderstorm passing so I decided I'd just head back by train as well. The train turned up at the perfect time but from reading the penalty forum here I'm extremely nervous about making an error and getting in trouble for it so I said to my friend I'd have to buy the ticket at the machine first so would need to get the next train however he said don't be daft, go ask the guard. I spoke to him and explained I didn't have a ticket nor did I have a reservation for the bike but he said no problem, hop onto the train and he'd sort me with a ticket later. So I did that and he came round, sold me a ticket and complimented the bike then asked where I'd been, it was one of the Scotrail HSTs with the excellent new bike storage bay so a doddle to get the bike in and out.

On the way back the heavens open and there was really heavy rain so was very glad I was able to take the train and nice to have a friendly face along the way.

Master29

Established Member
Absolutely - combine this with a push for company values, etc.

The increase of leisure travel especially, travelling by rail really is a choice and I feel it’s important that that is remembered.
It was travelling by train on holidays that sparked my rail interest. It was part of the holiday itself not just the part before the holiday.

I can’t name one specific occasion but I very regularly travel with LNER and I am yet to see a member of staff who isn’t helpful, smiley and genuinely happy. This goes from the drivers, to the Train Managers, to the catering staff and cleaners on the train and to all the staff on the platform. It’s rare I will leave one of their stations without a smile on my face, so yes a big thumbs up and thanks to all LNER staff!

I am sure staff at other companies are just the same but LNER staff are the only ones I really come into contact with.

railfan99

Established Member

A difficulty can be in developed countries that you may have already left the cab by the time many passengers including me walk past, especially if we're at the rear of a lengthy train.

But we are grateful for the diligence, smooth acceleration and braking and even the fact that you turned up for (shift) work when sometimes, like most of us, you may have a personal "issue" (apologies: a word I detest) in your life, or simply be a bit tired as you didn't sleep quite as well as normal.

TUC

Established Member
Last weekend my wife, who is blind, was travelling on a Cross Country service from Leeds to York. When she boarded, although she had a reserved seat, the guard realised that the carriage was far too rammed for her guide dog to fit comfortably and took her to another carriage. When she arrived at York, where was changing to a service to Middlesbrough, the booked assistance was not present and so the guard went to find a station staff member who could help.

Really good service and much appreciated.

railfan99

Established Member
In September and October 2022 on a Eurailpass, in the UK, the only rude staff in a few weeks of travelling I encountered were one gent in the Paddington booking office and a lady (same) at Glasgow Queen St.

Apart from that, every member of staff was pleasant, obliging, helpful and friendly. A great outcome. This included buffet Avanti WC staff who regularly served a beverage (and crisps or other snacks) and did so efficiently and quickly, even when journeys were short. GWR staff were fine, though not "quite" as proactive (but no criticism, as some trains I was on were pretty busy even in First).

Many staff on a variety of operators were observed diligently checking tickets/passes. Some were very quick to issue tickets on board: great. In contrast, on TrenItalia and RENFE local trains, our passes were never checked.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
There was a guard on a GWR service a few months ago that managed to totally turn around my utterly miserable mood (due to delays, part cancelations and misleading info given at the origin station) by simply being a lovely person to talk to! I actually felt bad afterwards because of how bloody miserable I was initially, but I am sure I'm not the worst passenger he has come across before!

Skiddaw

I've said it before, but I have nothing but praise for the lovely Avanti staff at Penrith station. They're always friendly, helpful, kind and clearly love doing what they do.

I'll also mention the TPE lady who during an on-train ticket check, when I realised I'd inadvertently booked a 'collect at station' ticket rather than a mobile ticket whilst en route to Carlisle recently, kindly printed said ticket off for me whilst on the train without so much as a lecture.

The platform dispatcher at Lancaster deserves a mention. When we were waiting for a Glasgow train, he invited my daughter to announce the arrival of a Barrow train over the tannoy which she delighted to do in exemplary fashion.

williamn

I can’t name one specific occasion but I very regularly travel with LNER and I am yet to see a member of staff who isn’t helpful, smiley and genuinely happy. This goes from the drivers, to the Train Managers, to the catering staff and cleaners on the train and to all the staff on the platform. It’s rare I will leave one of their stations without a smile on my face, so yes a big thumbs up and thanks to all LNER staff!

I am sure staff at other companies are just the same but LNER staff are the only ones I really come into contact with.
I'd second this. My trips with LNER are almost without exception smooth and enjoyable and the staff are great. One instance recently was on a strike day - I'd bagged a first class upgrade and there was only one poor member of staff trying to serve all of the First Class carriages on her own. She worked tirelessly bringing down one trolley after another and managed to keep in great spirits despite probably being knackered!

Benjwri

Established Member
There was a guard on a GWR service a few months ago that managed to totally turn around my utterly miserable mood (due to delays, part cancelations and misleading info given at the origin station) by simply being a lovely person to talk to! I actually felt bad afterwards because of how bloody miserable I was initially, but I am sure I'm not the worst passenger he has come across before!
In general the GWR on board staff are very good, and do their best when they have so many people angry about delays and cancellations. The only staff I’ve had bad experiences on a GWR train with are RPIs having a bit of a power trip over bikes.

devon_belle

I've met some very friendly and enthusiastic on-board supervisors since I started commuting with Southern.

Amos

The former station manager at Milton Keynes Central (since retired) was one of the most cheerful people you could ever hope to meet.He would always have a chat with people, and seemed to remember many people’s personal circumstances. I hope he enjoys his retirement as much as his work.

RuddA

During recent journeys with TPE and LNER I think I've seen both extremes of customer service.

TPE had two people slowly walking down the train checking tickets. I was too far away to hear what the problem was but one stopped and spent at least 5 minutes with a couple. After they left having charged him for a new ticket and/or penalty the gentleman was visibly upset for the rest of the journey and his partner was trying to cheer him up.

A few days later I was travelling south from Leeds. We had just passed Doncaster when the tickets were checked. A lady beside us presented an advance ticket without the time specified on it. The ticket inspector helped her find the details in her emails and found she was on a too early train (her meeting finished early, the ticket let her through the barrier and she didn't realise the restriction). How the restrictions work were explained to her, and she was given the option to get off at the next stop to wait and catch her train but it was then realised that the two services stopped at different stations after Doncaster.
Instead she was charged the difference between what she had already paid and the cheapest available ticket, and no penalty.

I don't know whether the LNER member of staff was following the rules or not, but he got extra ticket money and still had a happy customer who would probably use the train again.

The buffet staff also came around and gave the young children LNER stickers and a book.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
TPE had two people slowly walking down the train checking tickets. I was too far away to hear what the problem was but one stopped and spent at least 5 minutes with a couple. After they left having charged him for a new ticket and/or penalty the gentleman was visibly upset for the rest of the journey and his partner was trying to cheer him up.
That sounds like it could easily have just been a penalty/new ticket and the guy not happy about it, not any fault of the staff.

RuddA

That sounds like it could easily have just been a penalty/new ticket and the guy not happy about it, not any fault of the staff.
I probably wouldn't have thought so much about it if I hadn't seen the way LNER staff handled things a few days later. They also seemed to be enjoying their job very much.

Topological

A few months ago when planning to take the 05:36 from Swansea version of 1W13 (Have to version it since too often now 1W13 is written as if it starts in Cardiff), TfW cancelled the train at about 05:25 with the train in the platform at Swansea. I wanted to find the train manager to get on the 05:28 GWR to pick up the short working 1W13 from Cardiff. As was there was no short working from Cardiff either the result was an extensive delay. The GWR train manager said stay on to Bristol Parkway and pick up a Manchester from there rather than risk more problems. Sadly I could not be sure the CrossCountry train manager would be quite so understanding of my Advance from Swansea to Manchester so I stuck with the getting off at Cardiff plan. Ended up going via Bristol Parkway 2 hours later after the 06:38 from Swansea also picked up a near one hour delay and sensible crowd management said send me via Bristol. That was a very good example of customer service from GWR.

Generally I have found GWR to be pretty good, though I do read some horror stories on here.

fandroid

Established Member
I regularly travel between Basingstoke and Waterloo on SWR and find that the guards on those services normally do a great job of welcoming the passengers on board and keeping them informed.

It was a few years back but I was on an evening train out of Waterloo that got caught by signal cable thefts near Farnborough. The journey was horrendously slow as a result, but the guard never flagged in keeping us updated, even when there was nothing new to report. As a result, there wasn't the slightest display of discontent in my coach. Everyone accepted that they were being looked after and knew that they would be delivered home at some point.

Krokodil

Established Member

It could have been a mistake such as someone buying a Day Return that Trainline told them was "open" and discovering that the return portion has vanished the next day so single ticket issued. It happens a lot.

Silenos

It could have been a mistake such as someone buying a Day Return that Trainline told them was "open" and discovering that the return portion has vanished the next day so single ticket issued. It happens a lot.
Ah, I thought that was just me being stupid! Luckily I discovered it before getting on the train, though I wasn’t best pleased…

To return to the theme of the thread, Great Northern staff at King’s Lynn are helpful and cheery, especially one of the ladies on the gateline who is always smiling and helpful.

occone

Love this thread.

What immediately comes to mind are the GWR staff around and between Taunton to London who are by and large amazing. I've emailed them specifically thanking staff at my local station who personally greet customers as they enter the station (it's nice to be noticed and feel welcomed, as well as safe), the extremely helpful ticket office staff, the on board staff who genuinely seem to care about what they do, and just the *service* you get as a whole.

I'm regularly delighted by them and it's a complete step change from the bad old days of FGW.

Quick edit: after a specific journey where I had been very impressed, I actually spoke to someone at the station to pass it on there and then. Poor chap definitely thought I was about to complain when I said I wanted to provide some feedback! After we spoke he bounded off to find the manager to pass it on

Status
Not open for further replies.