• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Level Crossing Barriers struck at Berwick (Sussex) again

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

zwk500

Veteran Member
It can't be legal to park so close to a level crossing that a car waiting to cross can't stay on its side of the road (the unmarked police car)
The cars in the video are clearly waiting for the barriers and are not parked.

zero

The cars in the video are clearly waiting for the barriers and are not parked.
That is what I'm saying.

After learning that it was a police chase, watching the video again, the blue(stolen) car slows and hesitates before crashing through the crossing - suggesting that the driver is making a decision to go through hoping that the police will not follow (as opposed to being unaware of the crossing), successfully getting away.

The police car also seems to be considering going through, but by the time they get there they can see the train coming.

infobleep

Veteran Member
It can't be legal to park so close to a level crossing that a car waiting to cross can't stay on its side of the road (the unmarked police car)
Are we sure it's an unmarked police car as I didn't notice any flashing lights?

SussexMan

There appear to have been about 20 seconds between the car going through the barriers and the train arriving. Looking at this view on Google Street View, the track is reasonably straight but the train must have been slightly too far away round the slight left-hand curve to have seen the event otherwise I presume they would have been able to stop before the crossing as they were slowing down anyway for Berwick Station. Seeing a car cross would, I presume, have been reason to do an emergency stop.

Street View (or rail view)

Somewhere

There appear to have been about 20 seconds between the car going through the barriers and the train arriving. Looking at this view on Google Street View, the track is reasonably straight but the train must have been slightly too far away round the slight left-hand curve to have seen the event otherwise I presume they would have been able to stop before the crossing as they were slowing down anyway for Berwick Station. Seeing a car cross would, I presume, have been reason to do an emergency stop.

Street View (or rail view)
Depends how fast they were going and how far away. An emergency stop isn't always necessary in an emergency

zwk500

Veteran Member
Yeh noticed how narrow the road was on streetview. Just was surprised initially how not a single car reacted a bit.
the only thing a car can do at short notice is move forward, which is absolutely the worst thing to do in this situation. Drivers would have likely had the handbrake on and been in neutral as well, and their wheels would have been aligned straight so they could not pull off to the side.

Dougman

That is what I'm saying.

After learning that it was a police chase, watching the video again, the blue(stolen) car slows and hesitates before crashing through the crossing - suggesting that the driver is making a decision to go through hoping that the police will not follow (as opposed to being unaware of the crossing), successfully getting away.

The police car also seems to be considering going through, but by the time they get there they can see the train coming.
The double white lines at the crossing indicate a no stopping restriction, so no parking is allowed. And the police (or anyone) are not allowed to pass the twin flashing red lights, so they shouldn't even have thought about it.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Think those are parked cars, mate.
No - that's the carriage way so they must be the queue for the crossing barriers to open (EDIT - which I now see several others have mentioned) - I know the location.