• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Level Crossing Collision - Bedford-Bletchley Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

HLE

Established Member
Thinking practically...as LM have very few units usable on the line, might we see a long term bustitution for repair?

They'll probably just take a 153 off the rugeleys that couple onto a 170

No need for immediate worry, short form a rugeley diagram for a while to compensate

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LAX54

Established Member
The phone in the yellow box, would that put someone directly through to the relevant signaller?

Yes it does, it lights up red on the phone system, and a ring / alarm that is very hard to ignore !

zn1

HOW IS THE DRIVER OF THE UNIT IS HE OK ? were the passengers and guard ok ?

over marston xing units etc would be doing around 40 odd mph if the 20/40 is still in force on the branch, been a long time since been down the branch mind...

its about time and well past the time the highways agency took over all level xings, its their roads the railways have to cross, and its time the they bore the brunt of the maintenance and replacement not the local authorities and network rail

Ianno87

Veteran Member
HOW IS THE DRIVER OF THE UNIT IS HE OK ? were the passengers and guard ok ?

over marston xing units etc would be doing around 40 odd mph if the 20/40 is still in force on the branch, been a long time since been down the branch mind...

its about time and well past the time the highways agency took over all level xings, its their roads the railways have to cross, and its time the they bore the brunt of the maintenance and replacement not the local authorities and network rail

It would still be government money either way you cut it...

6Gman

Established Member

The Highways Agency are only responsible for major trunk roads and motorways so unless you're suggesting a massive increase in their role it wouldn't make any sense. The vast majority of level crossings are on roads which are the responsibility of local highway authorities (i.e. County or Unitary Councils).

eMeS

Perhaps "Ben Parish, route level crossing manager for Network Rail" should publish the times between lights starting to flash and when the crossings re-open for all the level crossings on that line.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Perhaps "Ben Parish, route level crossing manager for Network Rail" should publish the times between lights starting to flash and when the crossings re-open for all the level crossings on that line.

What has that got to do with damned idiot drivers breaking the Law?

andythebrave

Somewhere around 30 seconds for that crossing and around 3 minutes for that at Lidlington station itself but I fail to see the relevance.

googolplex

Or perhaps they should add cameras so no driver will get away with it?

I seem to recall when the crossing by Lidlington station was automated that BTP sat by it on a few occasions and stopped anybody going through when the lights were on (presumably giving them an FPN for it); but I don't recall anything similar being done at the Marston Road level crossing - perhaps some ad-hoc action by BTP would be enough to deter people.
If not, then perhaps the red light cameras you see in towns would do the trick.

Paul180

You do get red light cameras at some level crossings like at Milford. I seem to remember they were going to fit them at the crossings on the North Downs line but I do not know if this has happened.
https://goo.gl/maps/hFSwYQBbgAQ2

A little bit of searching I came across this.

https://www.roadsafetysupport.co.uk/news/rss-assists-level-crossing-camera-project

Road Safety Support (RSS) has assisted in the introduction of 16 new level crossing safety cameras across England and Wales to deter motorists from taking risks on railway lines.
RSS used its experience in the operation of roadside safety cameras to help Network Rail with the project, which aims to discourage drivers from jumping red lights and weaving around barriers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.