• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Level crossing puzzle

Status
Not open for further replies.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
I had an odd experience yesterday morning. I was driving, and approaching a level crossing I saw the yellow light come on, so I slowed down and stopped. About ten seconds after i stopped I realised nothing was happening - no lights (red or yellow), no siren, no barrier coming down. So, feeling a little foolish, I set off again (cautiously lookinmg both ways).
This was a crossing I am very familiar with, and which I use several times a month. It is normally very busy but on this occasion there was no other traffic about.
The light I saw (or think I saw) was on the right hand set (which comes into view first because of a slight curve in the road, and buildings on the left hand side). The road runs north-south and I was heading south so the lights in question face north and could not have had a direct reflection from the Sun back to me. In fact, it was 5:30 in the morning so the sun was away to my left, albeit quite low, and in any case the buildings on my left that obscured the left hand wigwags would have cast a shadow on the right hand set that I saw.

So
- could it have been a double reflection off something else (my own car's roof, perhaps)
- or can the yellow light of a wig wag set show briefly and then disappear again: perhaps the crossing was being tested, or a signaller initated the crossing sequence and then cancelled it for some reason?
- or did I imagine the whole thing? (For the avoidance of doubt, I was up early, not going home late!)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Probably nothing more than the signaller starting the sequence and then for whatever reason cancelling it.
The number of reasons are too numerous to mention but include them just starting the wrong crossing sequence, forgetting if a train was stopping/non stopping, a radio call coming in and deciding to wait to see what that was first, they saw you waiting and decided to be kind and let you drive over, and so on.
It could of course have been your eyes deceiving you and we will just never know.

Freightmaster

Established Member
Probably nothing more than the signaller starting the sequence and then for whatever reason cancelling it.
The number of reasons are too numerous to mention but include them just starting the wrong crossing sequence, forgetting if a train was stopping/non stopping...
Especially today, with signalling centres being manned by Network Rail managers who are probably
a bit 'rusty' when it comes to day to day operations of things like level crossings!

MARK

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
At the time it would have been worth calling that Network Rail helpdesk, much as its unlikely its not impossible that there was some kind of fault with the level crossing equipment.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Talking of testing crossings, I was on a walk locally a couple of days ago and came across Buckland AHB crossing (not "Bucklands" as the road sign says), between Reigate and Dorking, being renewed, including two different-shaped light clusters. The gentlemen in orange were testing barriers and lights. We were held at the moveable fence until the line was clear and it appeared that when I checked RTT and told the crossing guard that there was nothing approaching he opened the fence for us - I can only imagine/hope he didn't take my word for it and checked, but there didn't seem much time between my announcement and his agreement to open! Of course, technically we could have treated the crossing as one would a foot crossing (which is effectively what it is while work is underway) - look both ways and listen, then cross.

DSC05327a.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.