• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lichfield / Birmingham cross city line

kdj

Hey folks,

I am looking at a house on the Lichfield / Birmingham cross city line. The line mostly consists of electric trains running the cross city route (see wiki here:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-City_Line).

However, more recently I am seeing more Cross Country services using the line - not as frequent, maybe one or two an hour. I have heard rumours this is due to a HS2 diversion. Couple of questions.
1) Does anyone know if this is true? If so, are there any links to any websites confirming this?
2) If it is true, anyone know how long this diversion will be in place?

Thank you!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Planner

Veteran Member
Hey folks,

I am looking at a house on the Lichfield / Birmingham cross city line. The line mostly consists of electric trains running the cross city route (see wiki here:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-City_Line).

However, more recently I am seeing more Cross Country services using the line - not as frequent, maybe one or two an hour. I have heard rumours this is due to a HS2 diversion. Couple of questions.
1) Does anyone know if this is true? If so, are there any links to any websites confirming this?
2) If it is true, anyone know how long this diversion will be in place?

Thank you!
It usually on weekends during February and August. There will be times when they will be using it during the week as well. Expect it until at least 2026 when the HS2 civils work is done.

kdj

Thats super helpful thank you - I've never seen freight trains though, so believe they do not use this line?

bib

Birmingham - Derby is shut at various points for work at Water Orton, so during these periods the long distance SW-NE trains are diverting via Lichfield and the Nottingham trains are stopping at Coleshill Parkway. I thought it was HS2 related but the XC website says its "Network Rail track improvements".
More info:

The Planner

Veteran Member
Birmingham - Derby is shut at various points for work at Water Orton, so during these periods the long distance SW-NE trains are diverting via Lichfield and the Nottingham trains are stopping at Coleshill Parkway. I thought it was HS2 related but the XC website says its "Network Rail track improvements".
More info:
Its both.

TheDavibob

If the question is about noise levels due to non-electric trains and living near the tracks, I'd add that there are relatively frequently not-in-service XC (and AWC?) Voyagers running at the start and end of the day to get to/from the Central Rivers depot at Barton-under-Needwood.

I think they switch between via Lichfield and via Tamworth on some predictable cycle?

Re houses, my parents lived in Lichfield next to the tracks and you completely filter out the class 323 EMU noise very quickly, and the relatively infrequent DMUs stop being noticed after not too long too..

ian1944

Many (obviously) years ago, I lived within earshot of the Manchester - Altrincham 1500 VDC electrics, not exactly subdued, and not only was their noise not obtrusive, it was welcome as an ongoing reminder of what a useful service it was (every 15 minutes in each direction). The line also carried less frequent steam trains to/from Manchester Central, also no audible problem.

birchesgreen

Established Member
XC use the cross city line (north) all the time, not just due to Water Orton closures. You will get trains from the depot near Burton-on-Trent and also service trains for route knowledge retention. I've never seen a freight though.

JW4

XC use the cross city line (north) all the time, not just due to Water Orton closures. You will get trains from the depot near Burton-on-Trent and also service trains for route knowledge retention. I've never seen a freight though.
The network rail cleaning train comes through every so often.

If the question is about noise levels due to non-electric trains and living near the tracks, I'd add that there are relatively frequently not-in-service XC (and AWC?) Voyagers running at the start and end of the day to get to/from the Central Rivers depot at Barton-under-Needwood.

I think they switch between via Lichfield and via Tamworth on some predictable cycle?

Re houses, my parents lived in Lichfield next to the tracks and you completely filter out the class 323 EMU noise very quickly, and the relatively infrequent DMUs stop being noticed after not too long too..
The AWC‘s that come through are usually, the soon to be formerly shrewsbury, going from Central Rivers to Euston to form the Shrewsbury service at Euston, so mid-afternoon. There used to be a Birmingham International starter that went via the Aston-Stechford line after the Cross-City also mid-afternoon.

On Sunday mornings there’s a Leeds-Plymouth, formerly an HST.

Yeah the 323s really weren’t a bother when I used to live right by the line.

Last edited:

JW4

The last time I saw a diesel loco on the line, minus the HST, would have been the Class 37 sometime last year

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Yeah the 323s really weren’t a bother when I used to live right by the line.

Not forgetting that class 323s are the only EMUs currently cleared to operate the X City line. Thye will be replaced by the new class 730, and then they will be the only EMUs cleared to operate the service.

Obviously the aforementioned XC voyagers will continue for years to come

Mugby

Established Member
The XC diversions via Lichfield in February and early March have been happening for many years now. In fact they used to make a stop at
Lichfield City which was extremely useful for anyone travelling to/from the north. Pity they don't anymore!

Pokelet

Not on the X-City but not far from Birmingham my first house backed on to a railway line, slow speed with point work. I'd probably get max 8Tph, all diesel and as this was a while ago it was 150's, 180's, 170's, turbos, HST and the occasional 158. After about a month I had completely tuned out any noise, in fact it was more disturbing when there was engineering work and no trains running. The front of the house backed on to a busy main road which was more intrusive than the railway ever was.

Don't let the potential noise from the railway out you of what could be your perfect house

trainJam

Apart from the CrossCountry diversions, the next loudest sound would likely be the screaming door alarms added a few years ago. Even better if the doors are re-released! Although, it depends if your house is near a station.

If your house happens to be near one of the crossovers or pointwork, then that might also generate some noise.

Russel

The XC diversions via Lichfield in February and early March have been happening for many years now. In fact they used to make a stop at
Lichfield City which was extremely useful for anyone travelling to/from the north. Pity they don't anymore!

Yes, I remember using the Lichfield City XC stop a lot when it used to happen, when I was heading back to Tamworth it was usually quicker to get off at Lichfield City and get a bus back to Tamworth than use the official rail replacement bus from Coleshill Parkway.

DM352

I remember the diesel class 115/116 dmu snail trains used to shunt to Streethay when using both LTV platforms and there used to be complaints in the paper about engine noise. Would not have bothered me.

The railway was in first before those squeezed in houses so not sure what the complainers were thinking as if the railways was disused. Unrelated, it used to be nice and quiet there before those houses went up with the population to fill them!