• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lichfield City to Bescot Stadium (Sat)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Realfish

We're off to a match at Bescot Stadium on Saturday and rather than drive, thought it would be a good idea to go by train from Lichfield and break the journey in Brum, spending a few hours in the German Market.

NRE shews that there is a via BHM railcard fare (£5.95), but following a number of threads on here I was unsure whether a break of journey would be valid. The generic NRE guidance usefully says (paraphrasing) that for OP tickets, BoJ's are valid for the outward and return portion...unless they are not permitted.

But, having found the fare and suitable trains on NRE, the 'buy tickets' facility links to the WMR booking engine. This returns 'no fares available' for via Birmingham, it offers only via Aston (change for Walsall). The Virgin site is the same, but interestingly the SWR mixing deck does offer via BHM.

NB: The NRE has a useful permitted route map which shews a double back from New Street to Aston and change there - although the services offered include those to Rugeley via the Soho / Handsworth curve, so no double back is needed.

So - Is travel to Bescot via BHM actually permitted on that ticket, together with a break the journey in Brum?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JB_B

Established Member

So - Is travel to Bescot via BHM actually permitted on that ticket, together with a break the journey in Brum?

I think so, yes.

Your ticket has no break of journey restriction.

(I'm assuming it's a railcard discounted version of this: http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?orig=LIC&dest=BSC&tkt=CDR )

Your ticket is valid via Birmingham Group - route mapped on map WM. (Origin routeing point: Lichfield Trent Valley, destination routeing point: Walsall Group.)

Doubling-back on the mapped portion through Duddeston and Aston (if needed) is permitted by the group stations rule (since they are both members of Birmingham routeing-point group).

I can't spot any relevant negative easements.

The alternative map BI (Origin routeing point: Birmingham Group, destination routeing point: Walsall Group) might also do what you require but I haven't checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.