• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Light rail vehicle on M6 this evening

Status
Not open for further replies.

randyrippley

Established Member
Near Wigan on a flatbed lorry heading south around 5pm.
What looked like the end carriage from something similar to the Docklands light railway. Unpainted aluminium bodyshell, glazed. One raked end, one flat end.
No idea what it was, anyone got any ideas?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ld0595

I think I saw the same thing (or something very similar) on the outskirts of Glasgow on the M74 at about 1pm today. Curious to know what it was too.

randyrippley

Established Member
I think I saw the same thing (or something very similar) on the outskirts of Glasgow on the M74 at about 1pm today. Curious to know what it was too.

The timings match, so probably was the same thing - or another part of it

ld0595

I'm not complelty sure. It didnt look like it though and I can't understand why it would be heading south.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I'm not complelty sure. It didnt look like it though and I can't understand why it would be heading south.

Oh sorry... heading south... yes.... that wouldn't be on delivery then!!!

I somehow read that as north...

randyrippley

Established Member
Closest I can get to it are the original people carriers at Stansted, but it looks like they have symmetrical ends, This looked asymmetric, one end raked, one flat as if designed to run in pairs
Didn't look particularly new, but aluminium can be deceptive

Lewlew

Isn't Luton airport getting some new driverless trains between the parkway and airport?

mwmbwls

Looking at the video posted on twitter yesterday they are nowhere near needing the trains delivered.
The link is scheduled to open in 2021 - I have see nothing to suggest that it won't. The big elements are now in place, the technology is mature and Doppelmayr are world leaders in this type of technology. I stand open to correction on this but I do not think the trains are special to type equipment.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Perhaps they're getting one part of one train delivered to familiarize staff or even to exhibit it to the public? Although if that's what it is, it's a bit of a mystery why it should be in the Glasgow area.

Domh245

Established Member
Haven't all the Stadler deliveries been drags through the tunnel? Given the articulated nature of the units, I can't imagine they'd deliver them by road unless there was no other choice?

randyrippley

Established Member
that end-carriage in raw aluminium finish but with glazing fitted could well be it

where were those photos taken?

WatcherZero

Established Member
Wolfurt Austria, they do Rope powered people movers but the company primarily manufactures ski lifts.

randyrippley

Established Member
Wolfurt Austria, they do Rope powered people movers but the company primarily manufactures ski lifts.
Even more of a mystery as to why it was on the M6

unless someone in the UK was asked to knock up a cheap display mockup????????

Status
Not open for further replies.