• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lincoln - London CIV ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Failed Unit

Established Member
I am travelling from Lincoln - Paris on Monday 16th Jan.

Journey is as follows.
1324 Lincoln - London (To be purchased)
1631 London - Paris (Purchased)

For the Lincoln to London sector I have not yet bought my ticket, but how do I find out how much a CIV ticket is? Can I only purchase from a ticket office? Can I purchase on the day?

I was looking at buying an AP ticket as this is around £16 at the moment, but then as services are not that reliable a CIV is probably the way forward as by plan B would be to get the 1332 Lincoln - Leicester and then walk over to Newark Northgate from Newark Castle. (I know this isn't a valid connection time but is possible) It should still give me lots of time to make my connection at St Pancras, if the Newark - London service is OK.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated (Almost forgot about the possibility of the CIV)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Such tickets are available from some online retailers, including RailUK Tickets, and the Advance to London International (CRS Code: LNE) is currently showing as costing £19.30 on that 13:24 departure. BRFares is showing the walk-up Euro Standard Single as being £43.00.

Alex365Dash

For the Lincoln to London sector I have not yet bought my ticket, but how do I find out how much a CIV ticket is?
BRFares should show you how much these cost - you'll want to set the destination as London International CIV (or use the three-letter code LNE). They can also be railcard discounted if you have a railcard.
Can I only purchase from a ticket office?
No, but to my knowledge the only online retailer who will offer it is Trainsplit (who also run RailUK Tickets) and it'll offer the usual fare to London King's Cross if it's cheaper - so if you do go down that route, double-check the destination of the actual fare it gives you! Again, you'll need to set the destination as London International, or use the three-letter code LNE.
Can I purchase on the day?
You can, but there are also Advance fares from Lincoln, so I'd advise booking prior if you want one of those.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I am travelling from Lincoln - Paris on Monday 16th Jan.

Journey is as follows.
1324 Lincoln - London (To be purchased)
1631 London - Paris (Purchased)

For the Lincoln to London sector I have not yet bought my ticket, but how do I find out how much a CIV ticket is? Can I only purchase from a ticket office? Can I purchase on the day?

I was looking at buying an AP ticket as this is around £16 at the moment, but then as services are not that reliable a CIV is probably the way forward as by plan B would be to get the 1332 Lincoln - Leicester and then walk over to Newark Northgate from Newark Castle. (I know this isn't a valid connection time but is possible) It should still give me lots of time to make my connection at St Pancras, if the Newark - London service is OK.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated (Almost forgot about the possibility of the CIV)
What's the current check in time advice for St Pancras with all the extra post-Brexit checks taking place?

The 13.24 doesn't reach King's Cross until 15.23 - while that looks OK in theory, it's a lot tighter than I'd want to try myself, even with CIV protection.

Failed Unit

Established Member
What's the current check in time advice for St Pancras with all the extra post-Brexit checks taking place?

The 13.24 doesn't reach King's Cross until 15.23 - while that looks OK in theory, it's a lot tighter than I'd want to try myself, even with CIV protection.

Just FYI, I have done this a lot recently - in past couple of months I have cleared it in 30 mins. Normally leave 1 hour and had at least 30 mins. In the summer it was slow, but things have got better in Paris in particular.

Haywain

Veteran Member

I'm inclined to agree. If the 13:24 is cancelled, then using alternatives will reduce that time even more before any delays occur. Eurostar's website says that you should arrive at St Pancras 90 minutes before your departure time.

Failed Unit

Established Member
BRFares should show you how much these cost - you'll want to set the destination as London International CIV (or use the three-letter code LNE). They can also be railcard discounted if you have a railcard.

No, but to my knowledge the only online retailer who will offer it is Trainsplit (who also run RailUK Tickets) and it'll offer the usual fare to London King's Cross if it's cheaper - so if you do go down that route, double-check the destination of the actual fare it gives you! Again, you'll need to set the destination as London International, or use the three-letter code LNE.

You can, but there are also Advance fares from Lincoln, so I'd advise booking prior if you want one of those.
Thanks, learned a lot here, like I can but them online :) In this case the AP is the ticket that is offered, but a lot cheaper then the flexible option. Which when I think about it, isn't really going to help as if the train is cancelled as I can travel either side of the cancelled service anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.