• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lincoln-Sheffield/Leeds line rolling stock question

Evening everyone. I have question as have been discussing this with my friend to do with rolling stock allocations.
On the Lincoln-Leeds Northern services generally in the week it's 195s and occassionally 158s and 150s, whereas on Sundays it's only 3 car 150/0s

Sorry if this is a simple question, but was just generally curious about why 150/0s only appear on Sundays?
Many thanks :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Halish Railway

Established Member
Evening everyone. I have question as have been discussing this with my friend to do with rolling stock allocations.
On the Lincoln-Leeds Northern services generally in the week it's 195s and occassionally 158s and 150s, whereas on Sundays it's only 3 car 150/0s

Sorry if this is a simple question, but was just generally curious about why 150/0s only appear on Sundays?
Many thanks :)
On Sundays Northern services from Lincoln run to Huddersfield or to Sheffield before working a service to Huddersfield, therefore they use a 150/0 which is the rolling stock that is most well suited to the Penistone line as 60m (the length of a 150/0) is the longest a train on that route can be and the Penistone line has seen a big growth in usage in recent years.

The 158s and 195/0s that usually go to Lincoln are used to work in pairs on the Nottingham to Leeds (and Carlisle once a day), giving the same capacity on semi-fast trains between Leeds and Sheffield as there would be on weekdays and Saturdays whilst providing half the frequency.

Kite159

Veteran Member
And services are generally limited to 2 coaches Monday–Saturday due to having to share platform 17 at Leeds. [The Lincoln having to share with the (via Barnsley) Sheffield stopper, which it overtakes in the Castleford area]

And services are generally limited to 2 coaches Monday–Saturday due to having to share platform 17 at Leeds. [The Lincoln having to share with the (via Barnsley) Sheffield stopper, which it overtakes in the Castleford area]
That's a shame. The services can get pretty busy as far as I've seen so hopefully one day this can be resolved

On Sundays Northern services from Lincoln run to Huddersfield or to Sheffield before working a service to Huddersfield, therefore they use a 150/0 which is the rolling stock that is most well suited to the Penistone line as 60m (the length of a 150/0) is the longest a train on that route can be and the Penistone line has seen a big growth in usage in recent years.

The 158s and 195/0s that usually go to Lincoln are used to work in pairs on the Nottingham to Leeds (and Carlisle once a day), giving the same capacity on semi-fast trains between Leeds and Sheffield as there would be on weekdays and Saturdays whilst providing half the frequency.
Thanks very much for the info! Glad to finally have the mystery solved.

Kite159

Veteran Member
That's a shame. The services can get pretty busy as far as I've seen so hopefully one day this can be resolved

Definitely there, it's a shame that the Sheffield - Gainsborough line lost the stopping service to central (covid cutback) allowing for faster journeys for Lincoln and a better chance of a seat for anybody boarding at Worksop and stations beyond.

Definitely there, it's a shame that the Sheffield - Gainsborough line lost the stopping service to central (covid cutback) allowing for faster journeys for Lincoln and a better chance of a seat for anybody boarding at Worksop and stations beyond.
Yes, I always thought the 3 car 195s would've been better suited had it not been for platform restrictions...

Yes, I always thought the 3 car 195s would've been better suited had it not been for platform restrictions...
Very much so. I have a feeling 17 is going to be addressed as part of the TRU developments around Leeds

Very much so. I have a feeling 17 is going to be addressed as part of the TRU developments around Leeds
Hopefully then with an option to double up sets during peak hours...the people who sort rolling stock out for these regions should really be the ones who're forced to ride it everyday :lol:

YorksLad12

Established Member
It's been in the works for a (long) while - not TRU dependent, as it's got nothing to do with Transpennine Route Upgrade.
Hopefully along with the creation of an additional track between platform 17 and Leeds West Jn to completely separate the two traffic flows.
I don't think there's space for route 'G' next to 'F'; it pinches just north of the old viaduct, so you'd need a new bridge deck, which wouldn't be cheap.
Hopefully then with an option to double up sets during peak hours...the people who sort rolling stock out for these regions should really be the ones who're forced to ride it everyday :lol:
It's not going to be *that* long! You used to be able to get 3xSprinter + 2xPacer, or 2xSprinter + 3xPacer carriages in there, but it's only long enough for 4xSprinter at the moment. I think they can get it up to 6xSprinter before they run out of space, which would be a 3-carriage 195 for the semi-fasts plus 2-carriage 158 or 3-carriage 150 for the Knottingley or Sheffield stoppers. It's going to be quite narrow at the western end too, unless track can me moved northwards (which, again, adds to the cost).

Class 170101

Established Member
I was on Platform 17 recently and I am sure it was a pair of Class 195s from there.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Was just about to mention this. On Sunday there was a double 195 in platform 17 with the stopper/Castleford train going from platform 13 - is that usual?

1N61, the 2137 Leeds - Sheffield fast weekdays train is nearly always a double 195 off platform 17 with the 2131 stopper usually departing off platform 15.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
1N61, the 2137 Leeds - Sheffield fast weekdays train is nearly always a double 195 off platform 17 with the 2131 stopper usually departing off platform 15.
I am not often in Leeds on a week day so that is interesting news. is that for capacity reasons or for operational reasons?

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
I am not often in Leeds on a week day so that is interesting news. is that for capacity reasons or for operational reasons?
I don't know but I very much doubt it's anything to do with capacity. Whenever I've caught the 2137 I've more or less had the front unit to myself!

Killingworth

Established Member
I don't know but I very much doubt it's anything to do with capacity. Whenever I've caught the 2137 I've more or less had the front unit to myself!
In the evenings stock can be exchanged across the Pennines via 4 car services along the Hope Valley. Not a capacity need there either.