• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lincolnshire Day Ranger - missing towns/lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Having had a look at the validity map on the National Rail website, I have noticed that Gainsborough - Barnetby via Brigg, Doncaster - Barnetby via Scunthorpe, and Habrough - Barton on Humber are either missing from the map, or that it is not intended to cover those lines.

Was this product a predominantly a Regional Railways Central product, with the above sections referred to being Regional Railways North East? That is my line of thinking as it cannot be used on LNER between Peterborough and Grantham/Doncaster (InterCity East Coast).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
You seem to have renamed and redefined the East Midlands Day Ranger, which hasn’t had availability on the Humberside lines at any time, as far as I am aware.

adrock1976

Established Member

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Looking at the validity map in an old 2008 fares manual (NFM98), I can't see that the Lincolnshire Day Ranger product ever included the additional lines that the OP has queried.

In the North of Lincolnshire, it was just Doncaster -> Gainsbrough -> Lincoln -> Barnetby -> Grimsby -> Cleethorpes, i.e. as per the current day validity map.

P.S. Think the East Midlands 3 in 7 days (or 7 days) rover includes/included the additional validity including Barton on Humber.

Western Sunset

Established Member
Back in the day, the East Midlands Ranger ticket covered most of the East Midlands, including South Humberside. I remember going to and fro between Peterborough and Doncaster behind Deltics for much of the time on it.

adrock1976

Established Member
I have done a bit of digging around for historic maps and the closest I could get to for the former BR Regional Railways Central is this map of Central Trains. See http://www.projectmapping.co.uk/Reviews/Resources/ctnetworkmap.pdf

It did not include the lines I referred to in the opening post, which makes me think those were Regional Railways North East.

In the days of BR and the big Solari flapperboard at Birmingham New Street, I remember seeing Lincoln Central, Skegness, and Cleethorpes as destinations. I never saw Scunthorpe, Barton on Humber, or Brigg.

Regarding the Barton branch, it seems to have switched between Northern, TPE, and East Midlands in recent years.

It does seem peculiar today that anybody who is not railway savvy who would like a one day rail travel in Lincolnshire would be perplexed that it cannot be used via Scunthorpe, a visit to the traditional market town of Brigg (on Saturdays), and a run to the Humber at Barton, even though all of those places are in Lincolnshire.

Harvester

Established Member
Back in the day, the East Midlands Ranger ticket covered most of the East Midlands, including South Humberside. I remember going to and fro between Peterborough and Doncaster behind Deltics for much of the time on it.
Yes I did the same, excellent value for money back then chasing Deltic haulage. But this was way back in the day.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
Is this ticket even promoted anywhere? It’s even difficult to find on the railrovers.org website, being listed in the Yorkshire section only.

Logically it should include the lines mentioned above, plus I’d extend it to include Sheffield to Gainsborough as well. But with three TOCs being involved (EMR, Northern, TPE) I can’t see that happening soon.

Maybe the lines in the north were omitted because they were once mainly in Humberside? And the Brigg line omitted because really they want to shut it.

Rover

Is this ticket even promoted anywhere? It’s even difficult to find on the railrovers.org website, being listed in the Yorkshire section only.
It's listed in the Yorkshire section as you correctly state and also in the Full List and the Day Ranger list, where else would you suggest it goes? (genuine question)
Kev

Haywain

Veteran Member
A normal punter would assume that a Lincolnshire Ranger ticket would cover the whole of said county.
That depends on which version of the county you assume to constitute the whole of it. Between 1974 and 1996 the parts that are claimed to be missing weren't in Lincolnshire.
It's listed in the Yorkshire section as you correctly state and also in the Full List and the Day Ranger list, where else would you suggest it goes? (genuine question)
Kev
Lincolnshire is generally considered to be in the East Midlands. It certainly isn't Yorkshire.

Rover

Lincolnshire is generally considered to be in the East Midlands. It certainly isn't Yorkshire.
I know that, it's listed in "Yorkshire" because it runs into Yorkshire, albeit only just. Your point about East Midlands is a valid one, perhaps there should be an East Midlands section and a separate West Midlands as opposed to just the Midlands?

Haywain

Veteran Member
I know that, it's listed in "Yorkshire" because it runs into Yorkshire, albeit only just. Your point about East Midlands is a valid one, perhaps there should be an East Midlands section and a separate West Midlands as opposed to just the Midlands?
I find your website a useful reference for tickets like this, and went directly to the Midlands section to look for this one. I don't think you need to split the Midlands but adding the Lincolnshire ticket there would be a good idea (noting that you already have a good number of rovers duplicated across different regions for ease of reference).

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I find your website a useful reference for tickets like this, and went directly to the Midlands section to look for this one. I don't think you need to split the Midlands but adding the Lincolnshire ticket there would be a good idea (noting that you already have a good number of rovers duplicated across different regions for ease of reference).

I would agree with this. I would head straight to the Midlands section of the website first before checking anywhere else when looking for this ranger.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
Kev

The Midlands section is where I expected to find it too. Not finding it there once made me think that it had been discontinued.

Status
Not open for further replies.