• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lines That Should Exist

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sad Sprinter

Established Member
Charing Cross currently has six platforms to deal with 16 to 20 tph; I'm guessing it couldn't really deal with any more without either more platforms or through platforms to somewhere, unless you're advocating terminating some Southeastern services at London Bridge in place of Croydon services? (I know Fenchurch Street has a similar peak frequency with four platforms, but has a less complicated network to deal with.)

Ah, I sort of looked at this post from the lense of the Victorian era.

randyrippley

Established Member
Liverpool - Southport - Lytham - Blackpool - Fleetwood - Heysham - Barrow - linking into an improved Cumbria coastal route to Carlisle.
Links up the isolated coastal towns to Liverpool.
Additionally you could integrate the line with tidal barriers across the Ribble, Fleetwood - Heysham - Barrow, and Barrow - Millom. Could even be worth extending across the Solway as well linking in Kirkcudbright and Stranraer with another tidal barrage

All that available green energy currently untapped!

Ken H

On Moderation
Liverpool - Southport - Lytham - Blackpool - Fleetwood - Heysham - Barrow - linking into an improved Cumbria coastal route to Carlisle.
Links up the isolated coastal towns to Liverpool.
Additionally you could integrate the line with tidal barriers across the Ribble, Fleetwood - Heysham - Barrow, and Barrow - Millom. Could even be worth extending across the Solway as well linking in Kirkcudbright and Stranraer with another tidal barrage

All that available green energy currently untapped!
Morecambe- Grange isnt far and would be one hell of a short cut. Do your barrage over the river Kent. But you would stop the Kent Bore...

How about Clapham (N Yorks) - Oxenholme. Then you could run Leeds - Windermere. Relieve the busy A65. And serve Kirkby Lonsdale.

And a station in my village. It has a railway but no station. Never has. But only 330 people! I can dream.

MontyP

I'd build a new line (mostly in tunnel) from just south of Leeds on the Woodlesford line (around the M1/M621 interchange maybe) to somewhere near Church Fenton. This would relieve the eastern approach to Leeds and avoid the bottleneck at Micklefield junction. Send all Leeds to York trains that way, use the current eastern approach for local trains to Selby plus the Hull services. This would also give capacity for a potential line to Wetherby. It introduces reversals at Leeds but I can't see any way to quadruple the existing line for £5bn!

BogiePicker

It certainly shows that tunneling is possible under the humber and gives an idea of the costs. Going off that tunnel, a scheme under £500 million could be possible.

The humber bridge isn't a bad piece of infrastructure but it doesn't connect Grimsby to Hull particularly well. The public transport connections are absolutely terrible. A journey time of 90 mins is fairly common between Grimsby and Hull. When you consider that integration in health and education between the areas, a 90 minute public transport journey time simply isn't good enough.
I'd have a Humber loop - two crossings, one at Scunny, one at Hull.