• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Links between railways and slavery to be explored in new research project

Status
Not open for further replies.

WesternLancer

Established Member
WesternLancer

I refer you to your earlier comment, for which you have not withdrawn or apologised for.

Since you have said the above showing your obvious political prejudice, insulting lacking forethought, sweeping generalisation, not to mention a very ridiculous question not worth noticing.

I do not consider you somebody I would like to debate with.

Good day.
Thanks and I apologise for any personal offence which is in no way my intention but I don't withdraw the point.

The subtext on here from several posters who have argued this research is a waste of time / money etc is that only people on the left want to see further research on slavery or slavery on the railways (since there is more than enough research already and at least one museum that holds research and documentation). Furthermore it has been posited that academics tend to be left wing (historians in particular) and that universities and their students are just dominated by ideas of the left, are "woke", obsessed with "cancel culture" etc etc.

Instead I would draw on a line of argument more commonly advocated by those on the political right - you should be free to use your own money to do what you like with so long as it does not cause harm to others. These universities are using their own money to research what they like with - it is theirs to do as they wish with as far as I am concerned.

As others have posed "What is there to scared of in this research? What are you worried about?"

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Vespa

Established Member
Thanks and I apologise for any personal offence which is in no way my intention but I don't withdraw the point.
The point is still offensive, the Right as much as the Left have the right to be respected and not villified in a casual manner.

2 MPs Labour and Conservatives have been murdered just because they have views that is opposed by others, riling up people by making inflammatory comments is not how democracy and free speech works.

Jews have abandoned the Labour party for this reason because Corbyn and Momentum were using the same inflammatory rhetoric to villify those that don't share their views.

So your non apology isn't really an apology without acknowledging the impact of an insulting throwaway phrase.

No right wing government in this country has ever advocated slavery, people who happen to support right wing political views don't advocate slavery either, so your point is ridiculous, inflammatory and ignorant.

WesternLancer

Established Member
The point is still offensive, the Right as much as the Left have the right to be respected and not villified in a casual manner.

2 MPs Labour and Conservatives have been murdered just because they have views that is opposed by others, riling up people by making inflammatory comments is not how democracy and free speech works.

Jews have abandoned the Labour party for this reason because Corbyn and Momentum were using the same inflammatory rhetoric to villify those that don't share their views.

So your non apology isn't really an apology without acknowledging the impact of an insulting throwaway phrase.

No right wing government in this country has ever advocated slavery, people who happen to support right wing political views don't advocate slavery either, so your point is ridiculous, inflammatory and ignorant.
I note your views and you make good points.

Until this research is published and we have something to read from it I think this thread has run its course to be honest - and has veered off topic on several occasions in any case (the alleged left wing views of the majority of historians being a case on point).

Status
Not open for further replies.