• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Liskeard signaller update

irish_rail

Established Member
I would expect you need a competent signaller in the box to switch it out? So until such a person arrived it wouldn’t be possible.

And clearly, the immediate and paramount priority would be attending to the medical emergency.

My thoughts are with the family of the deceased.
There was another signaller working with her in the box at the time, as she was on a phased return to work. I assume however he would also need replacing after the upsetting incident. A relief signaller was found reasonably quickly under the circumstances. Thoughts to the family of the signaller, yesterday was a very sad day for the railway family in the south west.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
There was another signaller working with her in the box at the time, as she was on a phased return to work. I assume however he would also need replacing after the upsetting incident. A relief signaller was found reasonably quickly under the circumstances. Thoughts to the family of the signaller, yesterday was a very sad day for the railway family in the south west.

Very sorry to hear that mate. Thoughts do go out to the deceased - and to all of you - from my neck of the woods, also. It was mentioned many times in the room at work today.

I’m sure it’s a far more close knit railway community down where you are, but we’re all part of the same family when things like this happen.

dk1

Veteran Member
Sadly this happened at Yarmouth Vauxhall signal box early one Saturday morning a few years ago. Originally came across internal systems as delays due to no signaller but was soon changed to delays due to tragic circumstances. He had collapsed on arriving into the box and was discovered slumped behind the door.

Falcon1200

Established Member
Sad news, condolences to the Signaller's family, friends and colleagues.

I had not long started a new job when a fellow Controller passed away on shift, I still recall the event vividly although it was almost 40 years ago now. He was not far short of retiring.

leezer3

Sadly this happened at Yarmouth Vauxhall signal box early one Saturday morning a few years ago. Originally came across internal systems as delays due to no signaller but was soon changed to delays due to tragic circumstances. He had collapsed on arriving into the box and was discovered slumped behind the door.

Knew the chap in question- Was the treasurer of our model railway club at the time.

dk1

Veteran Member
Knew the chap in question- Was the treasurer of our model railway club at the time.

Was an absolute gentleman. Worked with him as his boxlad & later as a fellow signalman. The clock in Norwich Station supervisors office was dedicated to him after his death. I also placed a piece in the EDP at the time from all of us traincrew at Norwich.

LAX54

Established Member
I remember that, he was such a nice guy too :(

dk1

Veteran Member
I remember that, he was such a nice guy too :(

He nearly didn’t last that long bless him. Was installing a fridge at Brundall box whilst learning with me & noticed he was cutting through the wire with a Stanley knife & still had it plugged in & switched on :o

LAX54

Established Member
He nearly didn’t last that long bless him. Was installing a fridge at Brundall box whilst learning with me & noticed he was cutting through the wire with a Stanley knife & still had it plugged in & switched on :o
The other one I recall, but not many will, was that we had a learner in Colchester, in the mid/late 90s, he was a youing guy, about 22/24 if that, was learning the Ipswich panel, had been on Ipswich about 4 days or so, and doing really well, he picked things up quickly, one day said he had a headache, so sat down for a while, in the end he was sent home, as there is no point trying to learn if you are not 100% especially Ipswich !
Next morning we had a phone call to say he had passed away overnight.... talk about stunning everyone into silence that day ! :'(

dk1

Veteran Member
The other one I recall, but not many will, was that we had a learner in Colchester, in the mid/late 90s, he was a youing guy, about 22/24 if that, was learning the Ipswich panel, had been on Ipswich about 4 days or so, and doing really well, he picked things up quickly, one day said he had a headache, so sat down for a while, in the end he was sent home, as there is no point trying to learn if you are not 100% especially Ipswich !
Next morning we had a phone call to say he had passed away overnight.... talk about stunning everyone into silence that day ! :'(

How awful. You never know do you?

Anonymous10

Established Member
As some of you may have been aware, the signaller at Liskeard became seriously ill and required an ambulance earlier today. This resulted in all trains through Liskeard’s area being brought to a stand and the box temporarily closed until a relief signaller became available. It has now been confirmed that unfortunately the signaller at Liskeard passed away whilst on duty. Greatest condolences to their friends and family.
So so sad, rip and best wishes to all involved.

LAX54

Established Member
How awful. You never know do you?
hings like that at work stay with you, like when I was on the Ipswich Panel doing SLW, and the down mail was involved in a fatality, turned out it was an OHL guy, who had mistaken which road was blocked, (they had changed that night)
its as though it was yesterday, but was over 25 years ago, it was also when they never asked the Signalman on duty if he was OK.