• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

List of reopened lines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuyBarry

Is there a definitive list anywhere of lines that have been reopened? The closest I can find is this section of the Wikipedia "Beeching Axe" article. (I don't mean heritage railways, but lines that have been restored to regular service.)

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gingerheid

Established Member
Maybe we should edit that wikipedia page to make it more complete!

Other scottish re-openings include:

Lines:

Glasgow - Paisley Canal

Glasgow - Whifflet

Motherwell - Coatbridge Central

Coatbridge Central - Cumbernauld (passanger services only, line remained open for freight throughout)

Glasgow QS high level to Springburn

Glasgow QS high level to Maryhill (stations only, line remained open throughout) and Anniesland (track only, station remained open with services on different route)

Waverley to Newcraighall (not sure how present stations relate to previous)

There's also a lot of stations that have opened, the ones not mentioned already that I think are re-openings including:

Ardrossan Town
Several between Kilmarnock and Dumfries (certainly Gretna Green)
Beauly

anthony263

Established Member
Ebbw Vale, Maesteg & Bridgend - Barry. You also have network rail proposing to re-open that line in north wales (cant remember the name)

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Ebbw Vale, Maesteg & Bridgend - Barry. You also have network rail proposing to re-open that line in north wales (cant remember the name)

Don;t forget Aberdare - although it was always open for freight, like the VoG

Yew

Established Member
Don't forget th Robin hood line extension to Ollerton. It's reopened but rarely used these days

steamybrian

Established Member
Oxford- Bicester
Eastleigh-Romsey
Penistone-Barnsley
Blackburn-Hellifield
Clapham Jn-Willesden
Dalston Jn-Stratford
Blackfriars-Farringdon
Peterborough-Spalding (originally closed 1970)
Gospel Oak- Upper Holloway
Stockport-Altrincham
Birmingham Moor Street-Snow Hill- Wolverhampton-- Part tram
Leamington Spa-Coventry
Coventry-Nuneaton
Wakefield-Pontefract
Halifax-Huddersfield

one failure to mention

Derby-Sinfin

Ploughman

Established Member
Oxford- Bicester
Eastleigh-Romsey
Penistone-Barnsley
Blackburn-Hellifield
Clapham Jn-Willesden
Dalston Jn-Stratford
Blackfriars-Farringdon
Peterborough-Spalding (originally closed 1970)
Gospel Oak- Upper Holloway
Stockport-Altrincham
Birmingham Moor Street-Snow Hill- Wolverhampton-- Part tram
Leamington Spa-Coventry
Coventry-Nuneaton
Wakefield-Pontefract
Halifax-Huddersfield

one failure to mention

Derby-Sinfin

Did Penistone - Barnsley ever shut?

steamybrian

Established Member
It was my impression that the Penistone-Barnsley line closed in 1959 to regular passenger services but there was one night time parlimentary service over the line per day until it was reopened in the 1980s.
I am open to correction ......

Established Member
Few in West Yorkshire including the Brighouse bit if it isn't mentioned on Wikipedia.

steamybrian

Established Member
Add
Chippenham-Trowbridge via Melksham
Aylesbury-Aylesbury Vale Parkway
finally can I mention the East London Line extension between Dalston Western Jn to New Cross /New Cross Gate opened last year which included reopening part of the former Broad Street line closed in 1986 and a completely new build line in the Shoreditch area. Under construction now is the extension from Surrey Quays to Old Kent Road Jn which last carried passenger trains about 100 years ago and with it will be a regular passenger service over the section between Factory Jn and Clapham Jn.

Welshman

Established Member
It was my impression that the Penistone-Barnsley line closed in 1959 to regular passenger services but there was one night time parlimentary service over the line per day until it was reopened in the 1980s.
I am open to correction ......

You are inviting a reply!! :) :)

I think you're right it closed to local traffic in 1959, but an occasional service during the daytime used the link since.
For example, my summer 1962 ER timetable shows the following:-

1.] 9.32am Penistone-Barnsley [arr. 9.47am]. This was the 8.40am from Halifax to Sheffield Midland, [arr.10.18am], with through coaches to London St Pancras [arr.2.03pm]. On peak Saturdays, the whole train was through to London St. Pancras.

2.] 6.14pm Penistone-Barnsley [arr. 6.35pm]. This was a sumer Saturdays 3.30pm from Blackpool North to Cleethorpes, travelling from Barnsley through Mexborough to Doncaster.

The corresponding services in the opposite direction were:-

1.] 9.09pm [9.18pm/9.24pm, depending on date] to Penistone [from Sheffield Midland or London St Pancras] to Halifax [arr.10.25pm]; and

2.] 10.12am Summer Sats. to Penistone [7.25am Cleethorpes to Blackpool North, arr. 1.17pm].

I'm almost sure there were other occasional services that way, but, as you say, no regular service until the Huddersfield-Sheffield locals were diverted.

So I suppose you can say it never completely closed to passenger traffic, but was only used spasmodicallly for a time. Of course, freight to Wath continued to use the line to Silkstone until the Woodhead route closed.

Last edited:

steamybrian

Established Member
Thanks "Welshman" for the information on the Penistone-Barnsley line. I agree it was not actually closed but one train per day does not mean a regular service particularly when the line is not shown on BR maps as open for passenger traffic (until the mid 1980s).

dzug2

Aylesbury Vale Parkway to Aylesbury

A short stretch of the Hitchin line south from Bedford (Midland Road) providing a spur to the Bletchley line

Brentford to South Acton (closed again)

Acton Main Line to the West London line (not yet happened)

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Liverpool Central - Gateacre (closed 1972)
Re-opened 77 to Garston then further extended to Hunts Cross
Not sure if it counts tohugh as it was more a temporary measure similar to the Tyneside lines closing to enable TW Metro to be built.

Swindon - Melksham

Lichfield City - Lichfield Trent Valley

Status
Not open for further replies.