• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

List your 3 most interesting and most boring parts of your local line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I always found Chat Moss deadly boring. The CLC has more interesting bits, e.g. the bridge over the Ship Canal and the build-up of industrial Manchester.

Similarly, but further north, the route via Bolton is quite scenic in places but the Atherton line has barely any redeeming features at all.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

When I used to live near Wigan and travelled to Manchester on the Atherton line, there never used to be much out of the window to keep me interested. Nowadays there is even more vegetation on the line to obscure the view. But when i moved house and used the Chat Moss line, it had all sorts of incidental details to catch your eye.

Upton

C2c Line

The best bits are:
1) The section between Leigh-on-Sea and Chalkwell, especially when the tide is in and the sun is shining on all the boats moored there. One of the nicest coastal rail journeys in Britain imho.
2) The section between West Ham and Fenchurch Street going into London. The majority is on an embankment so you get great views across East London, including the sights of the London Stadium, the O2, Canary Wharf, the City of London, Tower Bridge and a glimpse of the Tower of London.
3) Barking Station, which is by far the busiest station on the route. There's always something going on with three different rail routes converging, plus two tube lines. Add to the mix a freight train or two and you've got plenty to see.

The worst bits are:
1) Part of the section between Pitsea and Basildon is in a cutting and that is often used as a rubbish dump.
2) A lot of the line between Benfleet and Tilbury down the loop section is marshland and wasteland so that part can be a little boring.
3) The line either side of Grays is quite industrial (and post industrial in parts) so it looks quite grim.

AM9

Veteran Member
The MML from St Albans to St Pancras, it's difficult to say 'boring' as the journey is so quick (17-18 mins stop to start on a fast service) so:

best bits:
1) south of Elstree tunnel to Brent Cross, pretty well all on embankments with an unobstructed view across north-west London including Harrow Hill,- I've seen the original Wembley Stadium, it's demolition and the building of the new one.
2) from Brent Cross (road) flyover to Cricklewood, currently there the new Brent Cross station being built, then the sheds at Crcklewood, and the Dudding Hill triangle where there is occasionally something happening.
3) from the south portal of the Besize tunnel to Kentish Town. I remember once takng a train from Barking to Kentish Town when the line hugged the eastern side of the triangle there, and seeing the north-east chord appearing from the tunnel at Carlton Road junction.

not the best bits:
1) the line in various bits of cutting from Napsbury to Radlett and across plain countryside to Elstree. It's worth pointing out though that little of the route has views cluttered up with trees.
2) Elstree tunnel.
3) Belsize tunnel/the 30mph 'dash' down the ramp to St Pancras .

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Struggling to identify 3 good or bad things about my local line. It is a rural branch line. it is fairly non descript these days. perhaps @Bletchleyite can help me out ;)

Good:
- Scenery in the middle bit - you can see a long way and it's quite distinctive
- Class 230 interior
- Rarely overcrowded other than the school trains which are easily avoided

Bad:
- Class 230 reliability
- Class 230 slow doors meaning sloppy punctuality
- No Sunday service

That do? :)

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Good:
- Scenery in the middle bit - you can see a long way and it's quite distinctive
- Class 230 interior
- Rarely overcrowded other than the school trains which are easily avoided

Bad:
- Class 230 reliability
- Class 230 slow doors meaning sloppy punctuality
- No Sunday service

That do? :)
guess so - was trying to avoid talking about the 230's!

I think in them olden days there would have been some industrial interest round the brick works but that is all long gone. The Sunday service issue is most frustrating but the timetable for the rest of the week is merely a suggested time when a train might arrive rather than a promise so we cant really complain!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
guess so - was trying to avoid talking about the 230's!

I think in them olden days there would have been some industrial interest round the brick works but that is all long gone. The Sunday service issue is most frustrating but the timetable for the rest of the week is merely a suggested time when a train might arrive rather than a promise so we cant really complain!

I do think it's quite scenic around the Brickhills, though. It's no Conwy Valley but it's hardly ugly. Yes, the brick kilns provided some "industrial decay" interest.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
The MML from St Albans to St Pancras, it's difficult to say 'boring' as the journey is so quick (17-18 mins stop to start on a fast service) so:

best bits:
1) south of Elstree tunnel to Brent Cross, pretty well all on embankments with an unobstructed view across north-west London including Harrow Hill,- I've seen the original Wembley Stadium, it's demolition and the building of the new one.
2) from Brent Cross (road) flyover to Cricklewood, currently there the new Brent Cross station being built, then the sheds at Crcklewood, and the Dudding Hill triangle where there is occasionally something happening.
3) from the south portal of the Besize tunnel to Kentish Town. I remember once takng a train from Barking to Kentish Town when the line hugged the eastern side of the triangle there, and seeing the north-east chord appearing from the tunnel at Carlton Road junction.

not the best bits:
1) the line in various bits of cutting from Napsbury to Radlett and across plain countryside to Elstree. It's worth pointing out though that little of the route has views cluttered up with trees.
2) Elstree tunnel.

Surely the northbound fast past the M25 - when the view of St Albans Abbey Cathedral can be seen - mercifully clear of the sheds that might have appeared as apart of the "railfreight terminal" , and looking the other way towards London Colney when of an evening the light can be seen through the stained glass of the Pastoral Centre church.

Always satisfying to see the M25 at a stand in that area.

Jimini

Established Member

best bits:

not the best bits:
2) Elstree tunnel.

Does it still say “Frankie goes to Cricklewood” on the wall alongside the down fast? Always used to make me chuckle, that :lol:

D6130

Established Member
When I used to live near Wigan and travelled to Manchester on the Atherton line, there never used to be much out of the window to keep me interested. Nowadays there is even more vegetation on the line to obscure the view
Although I would generally agree regarding the Atherton line, there is some historical railway and industrial interest at the Salford Crescent end, with the slow grind up the bank (coming from Manchester) past the remains of the closed stations at Pendleton and Pendlebury and various derelict or re-purposed mills and other factories. It's also interesting to try and identify the sites of Brindle Heath and Agecroft yards and Agecroft Colliery and power station, both of which were alongside the Bolton line - but clearly visible from the Atherton line.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Does it still say “Frankie goes to Cricklewood” on the wall alongside the down fast? Always used to make me chuckle, that :lol:

Not noticed that in too many years of travelling on that section , but there is a long history of quirky graffiti around there - "!0 ft dets Mark" , stylised "Kentish Town" but not that favourite of East London- "Nat has herpes" (or updates to "Nat has recovered" !!!

Bessie

Waterloo to Reading - 3 interesting will be a challenge. Here goes;
The good:
1) Crossing the River Thames at Richmond
2) Stretch between Sunningdale and Virginia Water - Wentworth golf course on one side and Chobham common on the other side
3) Crossing Kennett & Avon canal into Reading - very industrial but so many swans on the canal
The bad:
1) Its so slow
2) No freight sidings at all on the route so very little chance of seeing some half decent traction
3) Winnersh Triangle - cheap wooden platforms and park'n ride car park permanently under repair

nw1

Established Member
Whaaaaaaaaat? Yeah, the in and out of the tunnels makes it fun no? Plus the loops with various freight trains being overtaken, the randomness of whatever has been dumped at the old oil terminal at Micheldever station and then the sun shimmering off a misty morning over the River Dever. If you're lucky you get to see teeing off at Test Valley or a wicket being taken at Oakley CC. Deffo more interesting than say further up towards Farnborough (well, I think so).

I like the wide open views of rural Hampshire on this section, particularly in the Springvale/Kings Worthy area, and even more so, the stretch leading up to Micheldever (from the south), passing Micheldever village.

North of Micheldever is less interesting, though, with a lot of cuttings and just occasional nice views.

And to answer the original question (sorry, post automerged):

It's not my local line anymore but it's the line I used to commute to school in the 80s, so probably counts for something: the Portsmouth Direct.

However I will cover the whole line from Havant to Woking, not just the section I used at the time.

Most interesting parts:

Rowlands Castle to Petersfield - some really nice views of the Downs, both sides of the tunnel.

Grayswood area to Witley - nice wide open views of the countryside

Shalford Junction area - likewise

Less interesting:

Havant to Rowlands Castle and Petersfield to Liss - views rather restricted
Worplesdon to Woking - likewise

Formerly interesting for the sound effects:

Haslemere to Milford northbound in the 1980s, and also just south of Shalford Junction. The almost tuneful or rhythmic roaring rails and jointed track sounded like a "Commuter Symphony"...

Last edited:

Lytham Local

South Fylde Line interesting bits

Going past Royal Lytham golf course
Going past Blackpool Airport (when it had decent traffic) looking towards Blackpool Tower
Going past Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Not so interesting bits

The slow stretch between Wrea Green and Moss side waiting for the level crossing to be triggered
Can't think of any others!

A worthy mention is is the aroma from the Foxes biscuit factory in Kirkham :)

Andyjs247

I nominate the Chiltern line.

Best bits:
Princes Risborough to Beaconsfield. Passing the heritage railway there is always a chance of seeing something of interest. Climbing up to Saunderton is mostly in cutting but from there the valley narrows and becomes more built up as the line twists and turns down to and above High Wycombe before climbing up again to Whitehouse Tunnel.

From Ardley the line emerges from the tunnel and soon you’re high up above the Cherwell Valley. Crossing the Souldern Viaducts and over Aynho Junction following the Oxford Canal through Kings Sutton to Banbury is fun.

Then I think the most interesting bit is the run alongside the Met and Jubilee lines from Neasden to Finchley Road. Though the last half mile or so approaching Birmingham Moor St should get an honourable mention.

Boring bits are between Princes Risborough and Bicester and Banbury to Leamington, both of which seem to drag. And Northolt to Wembley is not very pretty.

vic-rijrode

I nominate the Chiltern line.

Boring bits are between ... Banbury to Leamington...
Boring? I take it you've never looked out for the junction of the Oxford and Birmingham Railway with the Oxford and Rugby Railway just north of Fenny Compton. You can see from the right hand side (travelling north), the couple of hundred yards of the embankment built before Victorian railway politics cut short construction of this vital link... :)

On Bing maps in Ordnance Survey Explorer mode, the junction is shown next to "Holmes House" on the line north from the site of Fenny Compton station.

Just north of Banbury station (again on the right going north) are the traces of the link line to the Great Central at Woodford Halse. Difficult to believe that this was a main line junction with a significant marshalling yard to the east, before the M40 embankment.

Admittedly there's not much trace of the Oxfordshire Ironstone Railway on the opposite side.

Then there's the remains of the parallel ex-LNWR railway on the north side coming into Leamington where you can see its bridge abutments - no trace of The Avenue station however which was next to the ex-GWR station.

Also the countryside is pretty without being exceptional. No, not boring.

Last edited:

Kingspanner

My local line is Darlington to Eaglescliffe. Going in this direction, interesting features include my house on the left(!) then later what appears to be secure accommodation for young people on the Teesside International Airport Northside Estate, followed by extensive views of the airport itself as the train passes the end of the runway. Later on the left, the Headquarters of the Great North Air Ambulance Service usually with a helicopter outside. Along with industrial demolition and new housebuilding on at least three sites it is an action packed 15 minutes

Iskra

Established Member
Hallam Line

Interesting

1) Horbury Junction-Wakefield Kirkgate. Lots of railway interest on this section, with the junction, signal box, 4 track section, ECML spur running overhead, the curve to Westgate and Wakefield Kirkgate itself being kind of interesting.
2) Chapeltown-Wombwell some quite interesting/surprisingly pleasant countryside in this area, with lots of railway history- you can see old stations and formations of lines diverging and even an old TTA tank at Wentworth.
3) Midland Road-Holbeck-Leeds. There's the railway interest at Midland Road, but I enjoy the approach to Leeds with the old Holbeck viaduct and the approach to the Leeds cityscape is impressive.

Boring

1) The stations, most are bus-stop affairs and some still have wooden platforms.
2) A few duller sections
3) Always 2 carriage trains, which can be inadequate.

SAPhil

best bits:

not the best bits:
2) Elstree tunnel.
I'd like to suggest the Kentish Town City Farm goats as one of the best bits. It always cheers me up when I spot them!

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Apart from onthe BBC London article, I've never seen them.

They can be seen from time to time - they ought to be given a day out - firmly tethered and allowed to eat their way from say SAC to Radlett. Plenty of good scoff - but to be mindful of the orchids in the Radlett cuttings...

muddythefish

On Moderation
Used to love travelling north on the MML in the early 1970s and seeing the lines of Victor V-bombers lined up on the old Handley Page airfield near where the present M25 goes under the line.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Used to love travelling north on the MML in the early 1970s and seeing the lines of Victor V-bombers lined up on the old Handley Page airfield near where the present M25 goes under the line.

AH yes - the much needed site for a "Railfreight" terminal (rolls eyes)

Sheep safely graze there now (for a short time) - there is some nostalgia locally for the ex Handley Page operation....

AM9

Veteran Member
AH yes - the much needed site for a "Railfreight" terminal (rolls eyes)

Sheep safely graze there now (for a short time) - there is some nostalgia locally for the ex Handley Page operation....
Maybe Pickles will retire soon. :)

DH1Commuter

ECML south of Newcastle:
Best
1) Aykley Heads nature reserve, just north of Durham - in the mornings occasional deer to be seen on the fringes of the wooded areas
2) Tyne Yard
3) The crossing over the Tyne, Dunston Staithes (and the tip that is Forth Banks) to one side, the bridges/Sage/Batlic/Quayside in the other.

Worst? It is only a short stretch of line and there's little dull about it, TBH.

Status
Not open for further replies.