• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Liverpool Central new lift - why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
A new lift is being built at Liverpool Central for access to the Northern Line, it is located in the middle of the escalator landing and goes down to next to the Wirral Line down escalator. I assume the rationale of this is to reduce waiting times for the lift and discourage people from taking bikes, buggies etc on the escalator (as many still do), but it takes up about a 3m x 3m space in one of the few safe standing areas at that end of the platform. Given how constrained space is there, what was the thinking here? It strikes me that it might cause more problems than it will solve.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

L401CJF

Established Member
A new lift is being built at Liverpool Central for access to the Northern Line, it is located in the middle of the escalator landing and goes down to next to the Wirral Line down escalator. I assume the rationale of this is to reduce waiting times for the lift and discourage people from taking bikes, buggies etc on the escalator (as many still do), but it takes up about a 3m x 3m space in one of the few safe standing areas at that end of the platform. Given how constrained space is there, what was the thinking here? It strikes me that it might cause more problems than it will solve.
I was having a look at this the other day and couldn't quite understand the logic of putting it where they have.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I was having a look at this the other day and couldn't quite understand the logic of putting it where they have.

I can't really see where else it could go without major changes to the building, but it is very much in the way on the platform. While it'd mean a lack of accessibility for a while (so other mitigations would be needed), I can't help but think that significantly enlarging the existing one and its shaft would be better.

dorsetdesiro

Is this one of those new inclined funicular style lifts that run alongside escalators or a conventional vertical lift replacing an older type of the same?

If this is the former, did Merseytravel remove one of the escalators to put this in? Those inclined lifts seem to be more popular in recent refurbishment schemes also cost effective.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Is this one of those new inclined funicular style lifts that run alongside escalators or a conventional vertical lift replacing an older type of the same?

If this is the former, did Merseytravel remove one of the escalators to put this in? Those inclined lifts seem to be more popular in recent refurbishment schemes also cost effective.

It is a conventional vertical lift. It isn't replacing anything (other than standing space) hence the problem.

At that end there is an up escalator and a down fixed staircase, the escalator was converted to a fixed staircase in the 1980s, I suspect because the space at the bottom is very small so if busy it could be a safety risk.

jamesst

Because the poor lift facilities at Liverpool Central are legendary, a new lift to the Northern line is badly needed and to enlarge the existing shift and lift would a) mean no lift facilities for ages and b) cost far more and cause more disruption

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Because the poor lift facilities at Liverpool Central are legendary, a new lift to the Northern line is badly needed and to enlarge the existing shift and lift would a) mean no lift facilities for ages and b) cost far more and cause more disruption

Fair enough. However, on a platform where overcrowding is endemic, is taking another 3x3m ish square of it sensible?

AndrewE

Established Member
Fair enough. However, on a platform where overcrowding is endemic, is taking another 3x3m ish square of it sensible?
Perhaps they will programme the lift to descend very slowly when the platform is crowded?
;)
(and shoot upwards at those times too.)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Well, I think it's going to make the massive problem that already exists on that platform (which is getting as bad as Piccadilly 13/14 in terms of people movements, albeit without the service issues) even worse still.

We can only hope that Baltic takes some of the traffic away.

KevinTurvey

They have been working on this new lift/shaft for what seems an eternity, maybe since before Easter, so I don't know if they have encountered structural problems or something. The siting is not ideal but I cant see where else it could go.

childwallblues

Established Member
Perhaps when the contractors finish at Liverpool Central they can move on to Broad Green and clear up the almighty mess left when somebody sacked the contractors there.

Skie

It’s a good little nook out of the way when waiting for a 6 car Southport, but no bugger moves down to that part of the platform anyway. So much so they had to shift the 3 car stopping point to make better use of the more open Hunts Cross end.

MerseyrailFan1

Perhaps when the contractors finish at Liverpool Central they can move on to Broad Green and clear up the almighty mess left when somebody sacked the contractors there.
Was starting to think have the contractors gone now who are meant to be upgrading Broadgreen station I feel like nothing seems to have been done lately?

urbophile

Established Member
It is a conventional vertical lift. It isn't replacing anything (other than standing space) hence the problem.

At that end there is an up escalator and a down fixed staircase, the escalator was converted to a fixed staircase in the 1980s, I suspect because the space at the bottom is very small so if busy it could be a safety risk.
Unless my memory is at fault, I seem to think that the fixed staircase you mention was always there from the (re)opening of the station in the late 70s. It was fitted between the standard escalator sides so it did look as if it used to be an actual escalator but I don't think it ever was. In the latest refurbishment it was replaced by a slightly wider and more conventional looking staircase.

That island platform has never really been fit for purpose considering the large number of passengers. It's made worse by the fact that 3 and 4 car units all stop at the southbound end of the platform so the majority of people crowd onto the escalators at that end instead of spreading the load.

Status
Not open for further replies.