• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Liverpool - Hull

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
£73.70 for a return with two cheapest advance singles still totalling £52.40, (splitting doesn't seem to make any difference).

As both legs are TPE I find this very expensive. I can get to Euston & back from LIV for less than £26 return.

Is it because TPE have no competition on this route?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
They do have competition, but presumably Northern havent tried setting a fare - the journey involves rather more changes than LNWR's to London! And LNWR have lots of offpeak seats to fill.

PS the lowest Advance fare is £17 if you can get it.

peri

This is where the £10 Northern newspaper tickets come in handy.
You could go by Sheffield, Bradford, Preston, Lancaster or Carlisle.
When Hull to Halifax starts in December maybe it'll be cheaper.
Other than that the TPE 4 in 8 Rover which is a bargain.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
If you want to minimise the fare, and are prepared to accept a longer journey time, you could try

Hull to Leeds - advance fare on TP
Leeds to Manchester Victoria - advance fare on Northern
Manchester to Liverpool - advance fare on TP or Northern.

This may well undercut the cheapest AP on TP all the way (although will add an hour to the journey). Northern running to Hull should lead to more AP fares between Hull and Leeds.

kieron

Established Member
Buying separate Hull-Leeds and Leeds-Liverpool tickets should cut the cost a bit, even without changing trains more than you have to.

Unfortunately, cheap Liverpool-London tickets don't help here, as Hull-London isn't an especially cheap route.

gray1404

Established Member
If possible I'd try and get a Northern £10 day ticket (£20 return tops) for this and use fastjp to produce an itinerary using Northern services only.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
If possible I'd try and get a Northern £10 day ticket (£20 return tops) for this and use fastjp to produce an itinerary using Northern services only.

4h 23m one way! I'll stick to the 9 p.m. highlights on Quest, but thanks for the suggestions.

HS3 is definitely needed before HS2.

gray1404

Established Member
Unlucky. That is an excessive journey time. I'd therefore recommend seeing what Trainsplit can come up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.