• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Liverpool Lime St: Station of the year 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pumbaa

Established Member
Well deserved too - especially now the front is all open. If anyone hasn't visited recently and gets the chance to spend a few minutes, spend it wandering up and down the steps outside following the engravings for 'Liverpool to Liverpool'.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Also, general criticism of the improvements. While the old taxi rank has freed up a lot of space, the new facilities shouldn't have been placed there. St Georges Hall next door currently has empty lodgings alongside the stations, after residents complained of noise. NR could've purchased the empty units, knocked back the station into the hall and used this extra space to house coffee units, waiting rooms etc.

As the taxi rank is still spare, NR could've then killed the capacity bird with the same stone. Moved P7 across, created a new P8 next door where the current P7 is, and then rename P8 and P9 into P9/10. Result - an extra platform for IC services and helping with LM/EMT/TPE services in the peak, as well as if VT start the xx33 from Euston by 2011.

tony_mac

Established Member
They have done a pretty good job, I think it was only 2 or 3 years ago that it tied with New St in a vote as worst big station in the country!

You obviously don't mean St George's Hall, that's across the road, I assume that you mean the North Western Halls student accommodation? I can't think of anything else that close!

I was wondering recently about the platform between 6 & 7 - I guess that isn't used any more as the columns are too close to the edge of the platform, I couldn't think of any other good reason.

As for (minor) complaints, I would prefer more doors in the new front, and the cash machines are not terribly well sign-posted as they are in a bit of an obscure location.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Booking office/travel centre is a bit too busy at times too - it is very small :D

Pumbaa

Established Member
Apologies - I did of course mean the Student Halls. I knew it was wrong as I submitted the message but hoped someone would correct me. Ditto the cash machine complaint.

mickey

Ditto the cash machine complaint.

Same for me too - they're miles away. While I appreciate the old ones were a bit too central, if you've got a train from platform 1 it's a hefty trek to get some cash out. Not good.

Status
Not open for further replies.