• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Liverpool Lime Street to Manchester Piccadilly(Oxford Road) using over 60 pass

strawberry123

Evening, I am planning to go from Liverpool lime street to Manchester Piccadilly and would like to know how far my Merseyrail 60s bus pass will take me before I need to buy a ticket for the rest of the journey, and the same for the return Manchester to X . I have gone on wiki and noticed that there is a northern route and a southern route - so I am not sure how to plan my tickets in advance as I put from Lime street to Piccadilly in Trainline search to get a rough idea of time - but it doesnt tell me what train line - if its Northern or Southern line. Eventually I m going to St James Square - Oxford road station is closer - but I cant work out if the 2 lines go through that station - and to get a ticket to there instead. Very confusing so any help appreciated . Knowing the whole of the Wirral line like the back of my hand along with all the Liverpool connections, I can now understand how our loop may confuse some.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Djgr

Established Member
Hi. When you say Merseyrail 60s bus pass presumably you are referring to the over 60s Merseytravel concesssionary pass? This will take you as far as Hough Green on what you call the Southern line and Newton-le-Willows on the Northern line.

You will need to play around with timetables to see which trains go from there to Manchester Oxford Road and to Manchester Piccadilly. Some trains will go to Manchester Victoria instead.

I would probably focus on Newton-le-Willows services. If your final destination is St James Square I would look at buying a ticket to Manchester stations and then walk from whichever station the train came into.

Spandau

You can use your concessionary pass as far as Newton le Willows on the Chat Moss route. On the CLC line via Warrington the last station to which the pass is valid is Hough Green. Sometimes though a cheapie advance ticket for the entire route from Liverpool to Manchester might well work out to be a lower price than the pass + boundary to Manchester combination.

8A Rail

Established Member
One bit of advice though if not obvious, please purchase your ticket before you board the train.

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Eventually I m going to St James Square - Oxford road station is closer - but I cant work out if the 2 lines go through that station - and to get a ticket to there instead
All Piccadilly trains from Liverpool also call at Oxford Road. There are also slow trains from Liverpool which end at Oxford Road (I.e. they don’t get to Piccadilly). No Victoria trains call at Oxford Road.

If you’re certain that you will be both arriving and departing from Oxford Road then an open return from Hough Green to Manchester stations will give you maximum flexibility- with a Merseytravel pass your train doesn’t have to call there. But if you might be using Victoria you will need a Liverpool to Manchester return in that there’s No ticket that will Take you from Hough Green to Manchester and then back to Newton.

Statto

Established Member
Going though Newton Le Willows (NLW) is the better option, using Merseytravel pass then split for Newton Le Willows to Manchester

Going via Newton Le Willows you have more options of either Victoria or Piccadilly, the OP can also change trains at Newton Le Willows for the extra TFW service to Oxford road & Piccadilly, were as you only have the Northern stopper service via Hough Green which takes longer too.

I don't know if the OP has a railcard, but cheapest off peak return Newton Le Willows to Manchester is £8.90 adult,

However the off peak day return Liverpool to Manchester is £14 adult, that gives you the option of all trains Liverpool to Manchester, & peace of mind not worrying about what line to use.

When i go to Victoria (or Piccadilly) i tend to use the Metrolink, if the OP ends up at Victoria they could could use Metrolink to St Peter's Square

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
All Piccadilly trains from Liverpool also call at Oxford Road. There are also slow trains from Liverpool which end at Oxford Road (I.e. they don’t get to Piccadilly). No Victoria trains call at Oxford Road.

If you’re certain that you will be both arriving and departing from Oxford Road then an open return from Hough Green to Manchester stations will give you maximum flexibility- with a Merseytravel pass your train doesn’t have to call there. But if you might be using Victoria you will need a Liverpool to Manchester return in that there’s No ticket that will Take you from Hough Green to Manchester and then back to Newton.

Beware, the Chat Moss stopper also runs to Piccadilly and that doesn't go via Hough Green. While the train doesn't need to stop in this sort of case it does still need to pass the station.

scrapy

Established Member
A Greater Manchester concessionary Wayfarer costs £10.70 and is valid to Newton le Willows. This gives you unlimited train and tram travel in the Greater Manchester area and into parts of Derbyshire and Cheshire. (Can also be used on buses but you get that with your bus pass anyway). If you are making any other journeys when you get to Manchester it may be worthwhile. It would not be valid via the route you call the 'southern' one.
Beware, the Chat Moss stopper also runs to Piccadilly and that doesn't go via Hough Green. While the train doesn't need to stop in this sort of case it does still need to pass the station.
To know which route your train takes, have a look if it stops at Warrington Central. If it does you will need a ticket from Hough Green. If it doesn't you'll need one from Newton le Willows or a Wayfarer.

Last edited:

strawberry123

Thank you for all your replies and suggestions - I will write it all down and bring together a plan . I think I will walk from the main station in Manchester and after my treatment walk back no more travelling further afield that day. Will check out the price of ticket from liverpool to manchester without over 60s freeby section, an open ticket would be best as I wont know my return time. But will compare price of fixed time there , and open back as opposed to open return. Lots gof good suggestions -Thank you for taking the time to reply to me - its more tricky than I thought .