• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Liverpool Street to Richmond - correct way on Oyster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockford

I often visit my grandad in Richmond and travel from Liverpool Street (underground) to Richmond via Bank, the Waterloo and City line and then mainline rail from Waterloo to Richmond.
Every time I do this, I seem to get charged the maximum daily amount on my PAYG Oyster card.
I'm obviously doing something wrong, but I'm not sure what.
Where should I be touching in and out?
Should I use the pink route validator at Richmond?

Any help greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Andy.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I often visit my grandad in Richmond and travel from Liverpool Street (underground) to Richmond via Bank, the Waterloo and City line and then mainline rail from Waterloo to Richmond.
Every time I do this, I seem to get charged the maximum daily amount on my PAYG Oyster card.
Should I use the pink route validator at Richmond?

Any help greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Andy.

From that description I'd say you should be touching in at Liverpool Street, out at Waterloo W&C, in at Waterloo NR and out at Richmond. The pink validator at Richmond will do nothing for you. My guess is that you're only making one of the touches at Waterloo as I've heard several stories of confusion when walking between the NR platforms and the Waterloo and City line.

However, even if you do that right it is the most expensive of the routes for that journey. Cheapest is Circle line to District line somewhere between Tower Hill and South Kensington (£3.60 peak/£2.60 off-peak). Next is the special case of changing between LU and NR at Vauxhall (£4.40/£3.70) while your way should cost £4.90/£3.70.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

Hmm, I can see issues with the W&C, having used it recently..

Where are you touching in and out?

Can you log in to your account and take a screenshot of your journey history, save it as a PNG file, crop it and upload it as an attachment here?

Without knowing what you are doing I cannot answer that.
In: Liverpool St LU ticket gates
Out: When exiting W&C line at Waterloo (there are readers in the passageway)

In: Waterloo NR ticket gates
Out: Richmond ticket gates

It would be cheaper if you used London Underground throughout and did not use National Rail services from Waterloo to Richmond, but I appreciate that isn't the question you're asking.

The fares are:

Using LU throughout (various methods to do this, Central - Piccadilly - District lines is probably quicker but it can of course be done with only one change using the sub-surface lines and avoiding the deep level tubes):-

£3.60 M-F 0630-0930 & 1600-1900
£2.60 At all other times inc public holidays

Changing between LU & National Rail at Vauxhall (ie, using LU only in Zone 1 and NR only from Zone 2):

£4.40 M-F 0630-0930 & 1600-1900
£3.70 At all other times inc public holidays

Changing between LU & National Rail at Waterloo or at Victoria/Clapham Jn:

£4.90 M-F 0630-0930 & 1600-1900
£3.70 At all other times inc public holidays

Should I use the pink route validator at Richmond?.
Not in this case, no.

Last edited:

rockford

Thanks for the replies. My last journey was more than eight weeks ago, so it's dropped off the journey history now.
I'm going over there tomorrow though, so I'll report back if I get overcharged!
As far as I'm aware, I was touching in at Liverpool Street tube, out at the top of the stairs as you leave the W&C line, in at Waterloo national rail gates, and then out at Richmond.
Thanks for your help. I'll pay close attention tomorrow and see what happens.
Thanks for highlighting the cheaper options too...

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
By the way if you are actually coming from the Stratford direction, then you may wish to use London Overground from Stratford to Richmond? It's not fast, but there are direct trains and, as you are avoiding Zone 1, the fare is only £2.20 (peak) / £1.40 (off peak).

The same fare applies from Tottenham Hale to Richmond, except you'd change at Highbury & Islington and would need to touch on the pink card reader when interchanging at Highbury & Islington.

island

Veteran Member
Thanks for the replies. My last journey was more than eight weeks ago, so it's dropped off the journey history now.
I'm going over there tomorrow though, so I'll report back if I get overcharged!
As far as I'm aware, I was touching in at Liverpool Street tube, out at the top of the stairs as you leave the W&C line, in at Waterloo national rail gates, and then out at Richmond.
Thanks for your help. I'll pay close attention tomorrow and see what happens.
Thanks for highlighting the cheaper options too...

Could you be going over the maximum journey time? I believe it's 110 minutes for this journey.

rockford

By the way if you are actually coming from the Stratford direction, then you may wish to use London Overground from Stratford to Richmond? It's not fast, but there are direct trains and, as you are avoiding Zone 1, the fare is only £2.20 (peak) / £1.40 (off peak).

The same fare applies from Tottenham Hale to Richmond, except you'd change at Highbury & Islington and would need to touch on the pink card reader when interchanging at Highbury & Islington.

I'm coming from Stansted, so Stratford would be possible but a bit out of the way.
Tottenham Hale, however...

So that would be Tottenham Hale to Highbury & Islington using the Victoria line, touch on the pink reader and then onto the London Overground for Richmond?
Takes 57 minutes, but that's offset by the cost!
Top tip. Thank you!

Could you be going over the maximum journey time? I believe it's 110 minutes for this journey.

No, I don't think that was it. I completed the journey a lot quicker than that.
Good thought though.

Status
Not open for further replies.